• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c

Bryan5238

Hey guys I just purchased a case 580c with a blown motor. I also have a 580b with a bad transmission but the motor runs great. I’m going to pull the motor out and install it in the c but was wondering what your guys thoughts are on rebuilding it while it’s out of the tractor? Not sure on the oil pressure. I was thinking I might go ahead and do it.

Bryan5238

Thanks! Yeah I will go ahead and check it before I pull it. I know it doesn’t smoke. Are you thinking if it’s not broke don’t fix it? Go ahead and swap it if the pressure is good?

Bryan5238

Yeah probably a pretty dumb question. I will check the pressures on the oil and a compression test on it. See what it says before I spend the money. Is there a certain fitting I need to check the compression or will a universal diesel compression tester work? You all know what the compression should be on those motors?

Tinkerer

There are no dumb questions on HEF. :)
Here is a link to the 580B service manual. It has the 188 in it. All the engine info will be in it.
The 580C has a 207 in it.
Minnparr has the 580C service manual also.
I suppose it depends on the kit you buy whether or not it will have the correct adapter.
That adapter alone will $50.00 or more.:(

Last edited:

Bryan5238

Alright tinkerer need some of your Knowledge. I started checking the 188 out today. And realized that it doesn’t have an actual pressure gauge on it. Gonna have to buy a mechanical gauge for it. Do you know what size threads is in the block where the oil pressure switch goes. Also checked my compression kit I have and of course I don’t have the fitting that will fit gonna have to get the adapter I guess.

Bryan5238

That’s good to know. The one I got doesn’t seem to be of use for a whole lot of engines

Bryan5238

Aww gotcha okay. I will get that then. Got the loader off the 580B today. Never realized how tiny those motors are for what they are moving. It’s about ready to split apart. Going to pick up the 580c tomorrow

Bryan5238

It moved pretty well I didn’t have any hassle loading it surprisingly finally got it home. It’s in great shape like it hasn’t been used much at all. Besides the rod threw the block. All the pins and bushings are tight. No oil spots on it.

Bryan5238

It’s missing about a 2” piece on the side where the humps are on the block. It looks like a connecting rod cap came loose.