• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 450 . DIESEL

mcprp

Oh , that was just a joke . It was supposed to look like my dozer burning . Lol . It was a camper I tore down and burned the floor off of it . Bad joke .

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Have you checked trans pressure in hi and lo. Also the leak could be one of your hoses going to trans shafts. Also you could have a bad seal ring under the cap on front of the trans front cover that goes on the end of the trans shaft.

mcprp

First , I don’t know how to check trans pressure . I have to take a real close look to see where the leak could be coming from . I did notice a leak in one of the fittings in the past and tightened it . I thought I had that fixed but now I’ll have to try and get a closer look . Do you know of a diagram that would show the cap your talking about in the front of the trans . I did notice a small leak on the ground in the front or about three quarters up front when the dozer sits still . Everything is sotight under the machine that it’s hard to see where it’s coming from . I guess I’ll have to drive it up on blocks or dunage to get under it but even with the belly pan it’s so hard to see anything .

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
No I haven't given up on you. A question has popped into my head have any of the hoses been changed on the trans control valve?

mcprp

Why do the brakes run to the control valve . The reason I ask that is because their are bleed nipples there . Sorry for being so ignorant . Just trying to understand everything .

mcprp

Ok , I guess not . Thanks though guys . I do appreciate all the help I have gotten in the past . I always speak highly of this site .

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
In all honesty @mcprp I don't think your drive problems will be able to be repaired without removing the transmission.

Considering the age of the machine & lack of love it has been given over the years, it has likely been operated with this drive fault for quite some time.

If a 450 doesn't respond to hi/low gear selections, it usually means there are deeper issues than just oil control rings.

My guess is that it has been used for many years with oil control ring problems - which will have now caused the hi/low clutch packs to be damaged due to oil pressure being sent to both packs while attempting to operate.
What has possibly happened is this - while driving the machine in LH low range, LH high range has been getting some oil pressure at the same time & dragging the drive - creating heat & burning the clutch packs.

Testing pressure can help diagnose the problem. However, sometimes there can still be good pressure, but the clutch packs can be damaged & not allow drive.

Try this, if the transmission pressure gauge on the dash is still working, at operating temperature, & at an idle, click through each gear range. Each gear selection should read the same pressure & take the same amount of time to engage - lower pressure when changing & slower engage times indicate where the problem lies.

PS - If you are paying someone to repair the transmission $5000 will barely pay the labour cost & you could possibly double that amount in parts.........

mcprp

In all honesty @mcprp I don't think your drive problems will be able to be repaired without removing the transmission.

Considering the age of the machine & lack of love it has been given over the years, it has likely been operated with this drive fault for quite some time.

If a 450 doesn't respond to hi/low gear selections, it usually means there are deeper issues than just oil control rings.

My guess is that it has been used for many years with oil control ring problems - which will have now caused the hi/low clutch packs to be damaged due to oil pressure being sent to both packs while attempting to operate.
What has possibly happened is this - while driving the machine in LH low range, LH high range has been getting some oil pressure at the same time & dragging the drive - creating heat & burning the clutch packs.

Testing pressure can help diagnose the problem. However, sometimes there can still be good pressure, but the clutch packs can be damaged & not allow drive.

Try this, if the transmission pressure gauge on the dash is still working, at operating temperature, & at an idle, click through each gear range. Each gear selection should read the same pressure & take the same amount of time to engage - lower pressure when changing & slower engage times indicate where the problem lies.

PS - If you are paying someone to repair the transmission $5000 will barely pay the labour cost & you could possibly double that amount in parts.........

mcprp

Thank you for being honest . That’s all I am looking for . Now I’m all honesty , if and when I ever decided to tackle this job , do you think I could rebuild the transmission my self? . Say over a whole winter . . Or what about getting a rebuilt transmission ? How hard is it to actually drop the old one and put in the new? Just curious . I know , probably not worth it but I’m retired and like working on mechanical things . I’ll take a few steps and check hoses and rings before I decide anything . But I’m just curious .