• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 advice

Jbird1

Gotta her done, flushed both hydraulics and trans with diesel cleared out all hoses, replaced all filters, replaced brake fueled, greases everything, replace all lube in rollers, ild, etc, and in final drive, then flushed fuel lines, reprimed and time the injector, runs really good now except for a leaky track adjust which has improved to 1/2" per day more at it has m Mobile one grease in it. Nice even power, no bogging, turns and brakes like new one. Used ms1210 for both trans and hyd. Someone had put the cheap stuff in the trans and 90wt in the hydraulics. Both suction filters were falling apart. Pushes 12"
Inches of hard pan as well as the new one I rented while back. Trans and touque pressures and op are now perfect. See my fb page for alpha test of unit putting bnew driveway in frozen ground at -15f. Got lucky god unit just needed some love at $7000 plus $500 of parts runs like a top now. Flushing removed tons of crap and the fuel bowl had things growing in it. Measured track 67% left. Good to go. :)

Jbird1

New problem, ran great for 100 hours then sprung a oil leak, thinking bad gasket on pan,rear seal or top cam gasket. Any one see the one? Btw once I followed all your great tips this thing just kicks ass on really nasty gravel pit. Flushing trans and hydraulic system and putting case transmission additive with orielly premimum ms-1210 really did the trick. 20 ton port a power makes track and other adjustments a snap. One good tip is air powered grease gun. $29 at home depot.

rickj

I purchased my 450 about a month ago, pulled it into my shop and have been going through much of what you appear to be. But have picked up on a lot of valuable information due to your questions concerning the brakes. I had someone tell me that he ran 63 Chevrolet master cyc - and claimed this was the only way he could keep his breaks working on a 450 he had operated for 7-8 years on a logging job. QUESTION???? - This dozer will tram soon after start up if you park it w/ rear higher than front. I now have it in my shop and trying to take the right track off, after blocking up and raising right side I havn't been able to get the dozer to tram either side. Today I primed the pump by taking the line off going to the txms oil screen suction - still havn't been able to get it to move. It appears to be a weak torque conv pump... would you guys agree, or am I missing something?

rickj

Jed, what did you use in your search using craiglook.com to locate your sprockets if you don't mind me asking. Such as Case 450, undercarriage, sprockets ...

jwar100

Occupation
Dirt contractor
I used to operate a 450B with a midwestern sideboom on it for pipeline use and we had good service from the little machine. We always steered it with the trans sticks and had no problems with it.

Jednlulu

Occupation
Sales-Automotive & PSP Brake Manufacturing Company
Guys, sorry for the delayed replies....been awhile since I've gotten on the blog (winter months, etc).
JBird1, I agree, best investment I've made in awhile on the pneumatic grease gun...it's a dream compared to the manual pump..if you only had 3 hands huh? On greasing of undercarriage components...I wasn't aware that you should since it attracts contaminants to stick near moving parts. My understanding is all that is sealed, etc. so, I haven't greased anything up.

Rickj, I tried to get as much info across the country as possible so i was very general. Case 450 dozer or Case 450 crawler is what I'd use. Now, since using Craiglook back in the fall of last year, it appears that that site was sold to CAZ (whoever the heck that is) and I don't get near the results I did before and it pulls in a lot more junk than just Craigslist. I got extremely lucky on my find. Guy had been sitting on them for 10 years and was just cleaning out his barn! $200! And they're nearly new! As far as the hyd pump trouble, I've read that the seal of those wear out and will require priming occasionally if parked on tilt. And, I don't think you can get a rebuild kit for it anymore, have to get reman pump.
Hope this helps, good luck to you.

d9gdon

Use SearchTempest.com for looking stuff up on Craigslist, it works good. I think I found out about it on here.

Jednlulu

Occupation
Sales-Automotive & PSP Brake Manufacturing Company
Hi all. Due to have being transferred to a new position at work and not having the time to putting in a pond (my original intention with the purchase of this ol girl), I am offering my 1973 Case 450 crawler / dozer for sale. I've done what I need to do with it around the farm so she's ready for a new home. Let me know if you're interested (I originated this post). I'm asking $8,250 obo for this (now) sound machine. thanks, Jason

Supa Dexta

Hi guys great thread on 450 info.. Im looking at buying one myself, but have a few questions, here is the one I am looking at>
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6732/casen.jpg[img]

Anyone know what year it may be?

What do you call the configuration with the rails outside of the tracks like this?

I haven't been able to go and look at it yet, so I've only gotten a few emails back and forth with the owner. He says it needs a handful of pads, and that the generator shaft broke, so it will need a new one, or be converted to an alternator.

thanks for now.

Supa Dexta

Must be because I am new that I'm not allowed to edit.

Anyways, I don't know the specific year or hours. He said it had a new undercarriage a few yrs back ~80% remaining, and a new hydraulic pump a couple of years ago. It looks decent to me in the pictures, but I've never owned a dozer.

The only other thing he mentioned was that it has a winch, thats all hooked up but not working and said it may need to be bled? Is it a hydraulic driven winch?And could that be the problem?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Brianna

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
She's quite a beauty ! My dad puchased a 1980 (or somewhere around that year) 350B Case, we have put about $10,000 into it by the time we got all new chains, pads, final drives on both sides, sprockets, paint, and decals.
I learned to run dozer at a very early age on one very similar to yours. They are good machines and you can never wear them out. The guy that owned it bought it used from a guy in like the early 90's and did hardly any work to it. But let me tell you, if you had all of the dirt that the thing pushed in it's lifetime with the company it would be a pretty big pile.

With some fix-up work, she should be a pretty good machine.
Also if you can believe it, I am a 14 year old girl. Haha I have spent my life around stuff like this !
Check out my blog (and see pics of our little dozer) at www.heavyequipmenttalk.blogspot.com
-Brianna :)

ejjeamore

case 450 - Where did you get your tracks?

Have a case 450 with broken link and was wondering where to get links/tracks. No where to be found around Springfield,il

mr hurt

Occupation
electrical engineer
ok i seem to be having the same power problem you have described, but my fuel pump has the govenor arm mounted up instead of down like your picture.
my engine has a tag from a shop in ohio like it was rebuilt at some point. and the stop cable looks a lot newer than everything else.

could the lever be mounted upside down and still shut the engine off?

mr hurt

Occupation
electrical engineer
ok, i was changing filters on my new purchase, i am guessing it's a 1973 to 1976 case 450, not real sure about year. but there is a filter in the hydraulic tank, anybody know the part no to get another one? found all other filters at napa store, but nothing so far on filter inside tank

mr hurt

Occupation
electrical engineer
ok ran the serial number of my dozer and it says its a late 1977 production, still doesn't explain why there is a filter in the tank. manual doesnt show it and case dealer says it should only be there on 450B models. oh well going to order the B filter and see if its the same. anybody ever replaced the suction filter before the charging pump? the one that came out had a spring in the end to open if suction was greater than the filter could deliver. the new one has no such feature??????