• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bye bye air bags hello hendrickson walking beams

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hendrickson only offered a limited few lengths and a couple of types for Torque rods, with the common set Center Cross Member to the spring hanger positions usually only took a minor variation of shims or washers to achieve U joint/axle inclination. Were a number of aftermarketers that did offer the Weld tube cut your own length rods but not very often did I see them less expensive enough to have to use for customer costs control. Fixed rods were not that cumbersome to adjust angles with and no sections that could potentially loosen from being hammered by on/off torque.

workshoprat92

The adjustable rod is a good idea. Still in the end I think you need to set it up with a few washers space for future adjustment. Setups change. Springs sag, you add new springs to the front, bushings wear and so on. If you dont leave that space you have no where to adjust to as things change. Its far esier to adjust at the axle than to pull the long bolts at the crossmember. At least thats my thought and theory. Just trying to plan ahead!

Anyhow nothing exciting to report. Just working on installing brake chambers, brake lines and re installing all the plumbing and wiring! Finally recieved the dust seal for the jack shaft slip yoke. Should get that installed tommorow and I can finish my drive line angle set up!

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Nice work Workshop. looks like a nice clean conversion. Have you ever looked at annular cutters for your mag drill? They would save you the pilot hole plus they cut really fast and make a nice hole. I tried a few a couple years ago and now I have a couple sets of them.
Anyways, keep up the nice work.:)

workshoprat92

Nice work Workshop. looks like a nice clean conversion. Have you ever looked at annular cutters for your mag drill? They would save you the pilot hole plus they cut really fast and make a nice hole. I tried a few a couple years ago and now I have a couple sets of them.
Anyways, keep up the nice work.:)
I really wanna try a set. Just didnt have the money to spend right now.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I still have my set of Bridge Reamers
Had to be cautious on feed rate but cut like cutting butter thru a pilot hole

workshoprat92

I have been looking at the annular cutters and it looks like they are made to fit in a special chuck or holder? They look to have some kind of square drive portion on the shank. How do these chuck up in a regular chuck?

crane operator

They don't go into a standard chuck, the drill has a 3/4" or so hole bored in it that the cutter fits up into, then you have two allen screws instead of a chuck to tighten it down. The center pin acts as a knockout for the slugs that are cut out. After making your hole, you can raise the handle clear up and it will push the slug out of the cutter.

My mag is annular cutters only, I've been trying to justify spending the $$ to buy a chuck that fits into it, so I can run regular smaller bits.

colson04

They don't go into a standard chuck, the drill has a 3/4" or so hole bored in it that the cutter fits up into, then you have two allen screws instead of a chuck to tighten it down. The center pin acts as a knockout for the slugs that are cut out. After making your hole, you can raise the handle clear up and it will push the slug out of the cutter.

My mag is annular cutters only, I've been trying to justify spending the $$ to buy a chuck that fits into it, so I can run regular smaller bits.

Learned something new. Never heard of annular cutters before, or that they required a special drill to use them.

workshoprat92

workshoprat92

Pretty well only way seen it done
It just seems the rear drive at -13° seems a little extreme. It would be nice to have had about 2-3° down at the front drive but by the way the trans and carrier bearing are set up i just didnt see any other way to do it. Before I get it all welded solid i may play with it some more. Its probably fine but I just dont know.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a Western Star. it used to be a tractor until it was upset, and they made a strait truck out of it. It still has the air ride. On the road it's ok but off road it gets stuck to easy and I find it rough compared to henderickson. It is mostly used on pipe jobs as with it's front axle, it will only scale around 12 tonne as compared to our set back front axle trucks which can haul around 16 and a half. We did a shore line protection job this fall and it was all hands on deck. The guy that drives her in the summer is 75 so he really didn't fancy the idea of the 3 hour round trip. the grader work was done for the summer, so I said I didn't mind. Oh baby! If I was 20 again. She has that N14 Cummins with an 18 speed. Only time I had to down shift was to slow down.