• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bye bye air bags hello hendrickson walking beams

Welder Dave

Maybe the difference has to do with if you hit your thumb while using one?:rolleyes: Typically you wouldn't be concerned with putting the words in alphabetical order causing the F to come first perhaps several times before the B.

workshoprat92

Got the rears slid back under the truck and everything located in place.20200221_115812.jpg I really dont like to drill without a pilot hole. A bushing turned up in the lathe ensures perfect centering for the pilot hole!20200221_121115.jpg
First bracket being drilled and bolted20200221_123103.jpg had to add some spacers on my mag drill to be able to drill the top two bolts in the brackets20200221_190430.jpg

Last edited:

workshoprat92

Started in on my torque rods and druve line angles. Got the front drive angfle set and the torque rod all tacked in place. Would have the rear one tacked also but i meed the dust seal for the rear shaft slip yoke and am waiting for it to show up so I can install the shaft and finish the angles. In the mean time I moved on to installing the axle stops and drilling some holes for the cross menber bolts between the spring hangers. Got all the drilling done and all bolts installed. Even put bolts in the empty holes from where the old suspension came off.20200224_142422.jpg
20200226_094739.jpg 20200226_094756.jpg 20200226_153550.jpg

workshoprat92

Thats pretty hard to quantify. I have been working on it off and on since december. Plus it takes me 3 times as long as other to do the same job. # 1 because im so anal about things and overthink things and get mental locked on indecision! #2 because I have muscle loss issues an severe joint pain. I just cannot produce like I used to! Most days are a struggle but I just cant quit! If i do i just feel I will really go downhill fast!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Leaves room for future adjustment if need be!
Here'a an idea. For purposes instead of a solid torque rod with that welded sleeve to determine the length, what about an adjustable-length torque rod.?

What I'm thinking is something that would work like a turnbuckle. If one end of the rod had a LH thread on it and the other end a RH thread with a locknut, then the torque rod could be shortened or lengthened until the correct rod length was achieved. At that point a torque rod of the required length could be fabricated and replace the adjustable one with a fixed one. The adjustable one would then be ready to re-use in the next installation. Adjustment would be by simply loosening the locknut and shorten/lengthen as required.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most Hendrickson torque rods have been solid or had a weld sleeve between two halves as I can remember, no idea why.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was thinking specifically about the fact that the OP apparently is going to install this setup in various chassis to replace airbag syspension. What with the chances of each chassis being a bit different one to another the idea of an adjustable turnbuckle-type rod to be used to determine what length a fixed rod needed to be without having to mess around with washers, cutting/welding the sleeve on the rod, etc, etc, seemed quite elegant. I wasn't thinking about it staying in there permanently, just for use as an adjustment tool to get the angles right, then replace it with a solid rod of the appropriate length.

petepilot

I was thinking specifically about the fact that the OP apparently is going to install this setup in various chassis to replace airbag syspension. What with the chances of each chassis being a bit different one to another the idea of an adjustable turnbuckle-type rod to be used to determine what length a fixed rod needed to be without having to mess around with washers, cutting/welding the sleeve on the rod, etc, etc, seemed quite elegant. I wasn't thinking about it staying in there permanently, just for use as an adjustment tool to get the angles right, then replace it with a solid rod of the appropriate length.
I have used in the past just what you are describing. the turnbuckle link from a simple 3 point tractor depth rod