• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bye bye air bags hello hendrickson walking beams

workshoprat92

Got the torque rod mounts finish welded to the axles and all the torque rods welded and installed!20200305_115521.jpg 20200305_115527.jpg

Now for the next issue. The new springs have so much arch to them I cannot get the rebound bolt through the hole on the back spring hangers. If they were flatter like the original spring it would be no problem. Originally I figued on leaving them out till the springs settled and hopefully it would all fit again. As soon as I put it in gear and let the clutch out today I could see that it must be in place. The torque roll is enough to lift the frame 4-5 inches off the springs on the rear hangers. I can see now why its there and what its for! Anyhow i may have to take a cutting blade on the angle grinder and shorten the offending leaf. Only problem i see with that is the end of the spring may crash into the bolt as the spring flexes. I may have some other ideas but for right now i need to be outside working on my dump box if the weather is good. I can now back the truck in the shop on rainy days and work that issue! Its hard to get a good picture of that area and these pictures dont show it as well as id like.
20200305_171835.jpg 20200305_171903.jpg

crane operator

Is the top of the leaf tight against the saddle/ mount on the frame rail?

In this picture, it looks like the bolt is even with the 5th spring down, giving plenty of room for the bolt. Either your spring isn't all the way up in the mount, or you have the wrong rear bracket?

Cutoffs-HENDRICKSON-SUSPENSION-14524353.jpg 20200302_165838.jpg

workshoprat92

In this picture, it looks like the bolt is even with the 5th spring down, giving plenty of room for the bolt. Either your spring isn't all the way up in the mount, or you have the wrong rear bracket?

View attachment 212138 View attachment 212139
Yes the spring is setting fully on the bracket. Moving the hanger forward would make it worse. The brackets are located the same distance as where they were on the cutoff they came off of. If you unbolt the bracket and tip it forward with the rebound bolt in you can slide it all the way up to the spring stack shackle. Of course then it wont set level to bolt to the frame. Im pretty darn sure the terd in the well is they way they arched the new springs. This arch causes the springs to set differently on the hangers and at kind of an angle so it kills the needed dimensions!

crane operator

I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if I can get a measurement or two on the hole spacing, from bolt hole to where it sits on the saddle.

I don't think there's any way you can put your bolt in yours, even if you cut off the leaf. As you said- the spring is going to slide over and hit on the bolt.

workshoprat92

I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if I can get a measurement or two on the hole spacing, from bolt hole to where it sits on the saddle.

I don't think there's any way you can put your bolt in yours, even if you cut off the leaf. As you said- the spring is going to slide over and hit on the bolt.

Yea there isnt any information anywhere I can find as to how far apart or location of spring hangers go. You think hendrickson would have that info but no! Basically how I decided where to put mine was based on the old frame section that the suspension came off of. I saved it for measuring purposes. I need to check it all again tommorow. If you could get that dimension off yoyr for comparison that would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Take a minimum 1" off the interfering leaf, have had to do that before with spring replacements, Will not drive back into the bolt as spring flex will place it further into the saddle before gets there. IIRC the earlier OE Hendrickson sets I worked with the tips of the springs were forge flattened out(tapered).

workshoprat92

Take a minimum 1" off the interfering leaf, have had to do that before with spring replacements, Will not drive back into the bolt as spring flex will place it further into the saddle before gets there. IIRC the earlier OE Hendrickson sets I worked with the tips of the springs were forge flattened out(tapered).
Thats good to know someone else had this problem and had to fix it like im thinking of doing! It sure would have been esier to cut that spring while it was out! Now its gona be a real bitch and even bigger chore to not nick the spring above it! I really hate to think im gona have to pull the packs to cut them!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator

View attachment 212138 View attachment 212139
the rear hangar isn't bolted to the frame so I think it's just in line with the 5th leaf because it is not in position

workshoprat92

Talked to the shop where I bought the springs and they said they have had to trim them like Dmiller suggests also. Think thats the route im gona go. Dmiller do you trim 1" from the end of the spring or 1" from the edge of the hanger hole?

workshoprat92

Last edited:

workshoprat92

Well here we go. Got some time to finish this install up today. Was able to slip a piece of sheetmetal in between the leafs so i didnt nick the top leaf as i was cutting. Got the rebound bolts installed and the end of the day its ready for the final clean up and paint job to tie it all together. Box is sandblasted and painted after the new floor and crossmember replacement and ready to install back on the truck. There is painting and lights and wiring left to do but I think for the purposes of this thread this pretty well concludes the hendrickson from air bag conversion!20200321_120712.jpg 20200321_131622.jpg 20200321_131652.jpg 20200321_172516.jpg

Last edited: