• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a new tilt bed 9999lb. gvw

PMP

Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic 30 yrs. + 2.5 to retirement
Bent Beaver Tail

Al, I have no damage to my trailer after four months of running my TB135 up and down the trailer in various locations and areas. Not all that have been even and level by any means. Let me know how you make out.
:confused:

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
...,I am very nervous when driving around the "general public" pulling heavy trailers(even less than 15k) with a 1 ton pickup and a bumper type hitch.:eek:

Jeff, I agree with what you are saying about the general public and the swaying etc. But what I don't think is fair is - any schmuck can pull a 15k or 20k (camper, toy hauler, horse barn, etc.) trailer behind his/her 1 ton legally since they are "non-commercial", but I need a Class A CDL to tow a 6 ton skid-steer trailer behind my commercial vehicle. Mr. or Ms. toy hauler only had to pass their class C driving test in a Honda Civic and can jump in a dually and legally tow lots more than I can with a class B CDL.
How does this make sense?:Banghead
(How'd I get up on this soapbox!?:confused: )

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
Jeff, I agree with what you are saying about the general public and the swaying etc. But what I don't think is fair is - any schmuck can pull a 15k or 20k (camper, toy hauler, horse barn, etc.) trailer behind his/her 1 ton legally since they are "non-commercial"

Yup, and I don't understand it either?!:confused: The vehicles I usually see with the sway problems are the pull behind campers too!!

How does this make sense?
It doesn't!!

How'd I get up on this soapbox!?
You could've crawled up on the hood of your Pete, and slid down the fender onto it, maybe?!:bouncegri

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
You could've crawled up on the hood of your Pete, and slid down the fender onto it, maybe?!:bouncegri
That does sound like something I would do...:dizzy

Atgreene, let us know how they respond to your warranty claim. I'm interested in knowing if they stand behind their product or try to get out of it by saying that you concentrated too much weight in one spot etc. etc.

atgreene

The dealer, Wescott and Sons agreed it should not have bent. Also, they found that the fenders are out of line, the right one is 1 1/2" further forward than the left and the deck is off by 3/8" from one side to the other. Also, they pointed out that the right front corner is catching as it tilts, unsure if this is due to a twist or poor assembly.

Either way, they took my complaint seriously and are waiting for the factories response.

Either way, I feel better about the trailer than my Takeuchi problem:Banghead .

atgreene

The dealer informed me yesterday that Cam wants the trailer back to fix it. They wanted to know if they can take it back to Pennsylvania next week to fix it.

Of course this leaves me without a trailer during my busiest time of the year and they can't tell me how long it will take.:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead

They said they'd see what they can do about a loaner or other arrangements.

What a PITA. $7000.00 so I can wait 10 weeks for delivery then have to give it back for a couple weeks or more. Somehow I think I'm getting screwed in this deal.

On a good note, Takeuchi and the dealer have stepped up to the plate and are agreeing to fix the machine. :thumbsup

cat320

Charter Member
well i guess you will not be looking at new machines now. That is good that they owned up to it I would like to know the reason for the failure what caused it to hapopen in the first place. Your like me out of the hundreds of machines you got the bad one . well one with a good size problem anyway.

Alan i can't say to much about cam but to say they want to fix the problem and not snow ball around with it. but that does stink being with out a trailer and for the $7K you spent on that one they should give you a loaner.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
It is possible to rent trailers here so I don't see why one could not get one as a loaner. Might not be the exact setup you need but if it gets you by.

They probably want it back so that they can really examine what damage there is and not only fix but possibly re-engineer to prevent from happening to others.

atgreene

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer, Wescott and Sons, when they're coming to get it. I'm writing a letter to Cam, I just have to wait for my blood to stop boiling. They said that it will probably be 2 weeks minimum for the repair.

I think I'm going to ask for some compensation for a trailer rental and for my time and effort. I've wasted a lot of time dealing with this issue and am beginning to really feel as though part of this hassle is in hopes I'll just go away.

:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead

dayexco

the picture i saw showed you had the ramp high centered. could it be the design was for you to have the trailer sitting on relatively level ground so the whole width of the ramp would absorb/distribute that load? don't get me wrong, if it's a product failure, they should back it. but by the pictures i saw, i believe you bear some responsibility, if not all of it for that repair.

atgreene

First off, I have to say, if I have to worry about being perfectly level to operate a tilt trailer than they shouldn't sell them for excavtor and equipment use. I asked if I should block the trailer to prevent it from stressing and they said absolutely not. Cam agrees that the trailer SHOULD NOT HAVE BENT. They assure me that there is obviously an issue with the construction. One of the other guys here that has one like it with an identical excavator has no deflection at all. If you spent $7000.00 for a trailer and this happened on the first time you loaded it, would you ask about it?

Furthermore, they still have to fix the fender and deck issue, as well as the main frame thats off slightly. There are multiple issues with this trailer and they concede that it needs to be corrected.

Like I asked them, what would happen if I put a 14000lb load on this thing? It would fold like a cheap tent in a gale. They made an error in construction and they have admitted it. I have no doubt this thing was slapped together on a Friday afternoon by someone who obviously didn't give two farts about quality.

dayexco

i dunno....you tell me.....you have 2 posts with equipment problems...a bent excavator rail....and a bent ramp on your trailer...and are running back to the dealer/manufacturer to cure these ills. i have 10's of thousands of hrs on heavy equipment...and have never experienced this. that leads me to think along these 2 lines....that what you were sold was a very inferior product, or they were being abused,

snonut12

Charter Member
Or you were very lucky, dayexco.

I doubt it was equipment abuse. It got bend on the first day he took delivery. He showed a picture of his excavigator on the trailer first day. There are times when we have had a series of bad lucks. Unfortunately this kind of stuff happen.

Atgreene, I am sorry to see you are having problems with your trailer. But consider yourself glad that you have a good reputable dealer that will stand behind their products and do what need to be done. In today world it is hard to find a dealer like that. I understand that downtime is inconvient and cost money. I don't blame you for being upset, I would have been on every of their nerve. Ask them for a loaner, or have them reimburse for a rental. If I were spending 7K on something I would expect it to meet/exceed its standard, nothing less not even a bit.

I hope that the Cam will be able to correct the problem in a speedy manner and get it back to you prompty. It sounds like they are standing behind their product as well, but understand that it may take some time to get it fixed, let alone time it take to freight it back and forth. But in today world most of manufacturuers probably would have said "it is normal" or "you abused it". Althought I have never owned a Cam trailer, I think you made the right choice, but just got a lemon trailer. I think that once you get the trailer back all fixed that you'll be happy, even though it caused inconvience for you. I wish you best of luck.

dayexco

snonut, apparently you already know more about the failure than i do. i based my assumption soley on the pics that were posted in this thread, no more. if he was told he could high center his ramps, load his excavator, and not have them bend, they (the manufacturer), in my opinion are responsible to fix or replace that trailer. BUT, common sense tells me......that i wouldn't load it that way. maybe his owners/operator's manual told him that he could. if that were the case, in that instance he has a legitimate beef with the manufacturer..

you made the comment that "i've been very lucky"....maybe i have....or maybe i just take a few seconds to assess potential problems and take measures necessary to avoid them.

atgreene

dayexco, The dealer assured me that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should I block the trailer as it is designed to handle the rated weight on uneven ground. The manufacturer also stated that under no circumstances should it have bent. Most equipment trailers sold around here are designed to be used off road, as there isn't much pavement on our constuction sites.

Further, the fenders were mounted out of line so that the right one almost touches the rear tire. Should I not complain about this? The deck catches on the front non-tilt section, should I just ignore it? They built a bad trailer and have admitted it.

As to the excavator, the engineers and the dealer do not know why it bent. And although their first comment was abuse, they now admit that they don't have an explaination. If you have an explaination how I possibly managed to bend it, they would like to hear from you. In 11 months with 680 hours of use I've had 3 warranty issues, an antifreeze leak from a bad fitting, a broken throttle cable and the track frame. None of the other was called abuse, btw.

As to my postings, if you look at my history here (6 months) I believe this is the first failure of any of my equipment. If you would prefer that I not post issues that I come across with my business for everyone to see, then so be it. I personally believe that everyone gains some knowlege by looking at others problems and experiences.

And although I don't doubt you experience, I likewise have thousands of hours in the seat. In that time you must have had your share of equipment failure or breaks and if not, as snonut said, your one lucky guy and I'd be happy to offer you a job, as it might bring me some good luck.:)

dayexco

if he was told he could high center his ramps, load his excavator, and not have them bend, they (the manufacturer), in my opinion are responsible to fix or replace that trailer BUT, common sense tells me......that i wouldn't load it that way. maybe his owners/operator's manual told him that he could. if that were the case, in that instance he has a legitimate beef with the manufacturer..

i agreed with you (copy of my earlier post above) that if you were instructed or told to load/use that trailer in that manner, yes, it's a manufacturer's problem. but.....like i also said, personally, i wouldn't have loaded my machine on that type of road condition.

yes, i feel we owe it to ourselves to get the best value for our dollar and insist that what we pay for is as it was sold to us. and i feel this is a wonderful forum to share these experiences. i know nothing about the circumstances of your excavator, i did see the pictures you posted on your trailer, and the slope of the roadway it was used on. i do feel that you bear some of the responsibility of this failure UNLESS!!!!!!!, they are telling or told you this is an acceptable practice on loading/unloading. apparently your manufacturer has told you that it should have been able to withstand that scenario, and are willing to repair it. personally, in that circumstance with the other probs with the trailer, i'd have insisted on a new one, or a refund.

Last edited:

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I have never used a tilt trailer like that, however I have worked with numerous flat bed towing trucks, even on paved roads around here we would often have enough crown that one side or both would be off while the center of the deck was touching. I can't imagine an instance (except on a highway or parking low) where you would find a level spot Certainly a construction site will not offer this. Even my ramp skid steer trailer will have on ramp support touching the ground and the other not. I was told never to block the trailer, which is the same thing the tow truck dealer told us. Let the suspension handle the difference.

Obviously this trailer had a problem, which has been admitted.

atgreene

I got my trailer back! They made record time hauling it back to PA and getting it back to me in 6 days! They added a flat bar across the back to stiffen it as well as another flat inside the tail. All the other items were corrected.

So, I loaded the excavator on it and bingo, same problem! Here's a couple pics. I purposefully parked where it was within an inch or so of level as I didn't want to tempt fate.

They insist that under no circumstance should this be bending and that I can load at any angle. The dealer theory is that the metal on the rear plate is somehow the wrong material and that it has no memory as it doesn't come back into position. I say the entire set-up is junk, as anything rated for 14000 lb carrying capacity damn sure ought to load an 8000 lb machine on relatively flat terain without looking like a cheap imatation of an equipment trailer.

Attachments

• Bent Cam, again 7-28-06 004.jpg
    Bent Cam, again 7-28-06 004.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 577

cat320

Charter Member
Alan i can see if you didn't pay good money for it but at over $7 k i thought i saw you post that should not be happening. and like you said the rating on it it should be tougher than that. so what going to happen now?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'd tell them you want your money back. I have a somewhat light duty tiltbed (only cost about $5K for a 12K#), the metal at the end of the deck is of much lighter duty than yours and everytime I load/unload on the crown I think it's going to bend and yet it hasn't, but yours looks WAY heavier duty than mine and it's crumpling? What gives?

Last edited: