• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big load and haul operation :)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I think I was in that bar once...

My pickup truck broke down on the way to an equipment auction about 30 miles out into the country. It was under warrantee, so I called the dealer for a tow. "Ok, But it'll be a couple of hours". No problem I thought--I'm in front of a bar. :)

There was the only bartender, and these two derelict looking guys, off in the corner, not talking, even to each other. Well, it was not quite no beer, but I had to name about four different brands before they had one I asked for. Then, after about two of those, they ran out of that! I was hungry, and of the dozen or so items on the menu, they had none of them either. It had a very Twilight Zoneish feel to the whole situation. <shiver>

Sidenote: Two girls came in, and ordered beers. One of them commented that she hadn't seen me there before. I said my truck was broke down and I was waiting for a tow. She asked me, "Who do you drive for?" I explained that it was my pickup truck, and that I didn't drive for anybody exactly. Her interest waned pretty quickly after that. I left with the distinct feeling that if I'd been a real truck driver, I could have scored... <sigh>

Last edited:

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
Two girls came in, and ordered beers. One of them commented that she hadn't seen me there before. I said my truck was broke down and I was waiting for a tow. She asked me, "Who do you drive for?" I explained that it was my pickup truck, and that I didn't drive for anybody exactly. Her interest waned pretty quickly after that. I left with the distinct feeling that if I'd been a real truck driver, I could have scored... <sigh>
It's a little known secret that truckers are babe magnets. It's so secret, matter of fact, that even most the babes don't know about it.........yet. Apparently these two ladies musta been clued in already.:naughty
Tylermckee said:
don't you people have some work to do, damn lazy operators.
That's right, testify my brutha!!

We've lured Tyler over too the "dark side".:waving

tylermckee

digger242j said:
I left with the distinct feeling that if I'd been a real truck driver, I could have scored... <sigh>

Any woman thats looking to score with truck drivers isnt the kind of woman you want to be associated with :nono

Jeff D.

tylermckee said:
Any woman thats looking to score with truck drivers isnt the kind of woman you want to be associated with :nono
Umm.........yes, yes indeed. It's actually best to not even let them stand next to you if you can help it.

"Go away you ladies, you! Why yes, that spot is taken, and no I don't know what time it is! Ok, Bye-bye then!":waving

Very good advice Mr.Tyler.

But, I'm wondering if after being on the road for a month or two, a single guy, by yourself, and by this time you could pry a car door off it's hinges if necessary, without any tools, I wonder if you might make one teency-weency little exception then.:laugh

MVFD

Sqizzy you really gotta get a machine with A/C... my excavator has it so I stay nice and clean all day long :bouncegri no dust.. no heat just plain heaven.

I hada driver yesterday that I specifily told not to hit the elevation stake that we needed (only one left from other drivers hitting them... ) so everythings fine he backs right by it... 4 inchs to spare.. Im happy the foreman is happy.. finish loading him not even 3 minutes later and what does he do when he pulls out? well he runs it over with both duals...

I havnt seen my foreman so pissed off...

one of our drivers had a very bad week... this past week..

So on thursday he jumps out of his truck.. Ive got a flat tire so load me and I will go fix it... comes back with a brand new tire.. blew 1000 bucks for the company... then a couple hours later... eric is loading boulders in to his truck... ends up taking the whole side board off.. minus few small pieces... then friday.. he was working upisland.. unloading a barge.. and the operator up there took off his canopy so this week that truck has lost about 2500 bucks... bad day for him...

but yeah truck drivers need to be operators for a few years to realize what we gotta put up with sometimes and with some of the drivers we get...

like wise for operators.. we should be driving truck for a little while.. altho I do know what you gotta put up with on the road..

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The 248 has the cab with bells and whistles...and I got one of those new fangled phones with the radio.....just don't get to spend much time in the skid these days...

Anyway, I'm off start a serious thread.:salute

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
But, I'm wondering if after being on the road for a month or two, a single guy, by yourself, and by this time you could pry a car door off it's hinges if necessary, without any tools, I wonder if you might make one teency-weency little exception then.:laugh

Jeff, at that point you can use the "new math" rule: If it's getting late and you can't find a "10", bring home 2 "2's" and a six pack. :drinkup :naughty

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Sidenote: Two girls came in, and ordered beers. One of them commented that she hadn't seen me there before. I said my truck was broke down and I was waiting for a tow. She asked me, "Who do you drive for?" I explained that it was my pickup truck, and that I didn't drive for anybody exactly. Her interest waned pretty quickly after that. I left with the distinct feeling that if I'd been a real truck driver, I could have scored... <sigh>
believe me if you had a fist full of twenties your 1/2 ton pickup would have turned in to a pete w/ a condo cab and a 600 hp cat...we call em lot lizards here...

Electra_Glide

digger242j said:
Please do! Anything to sidetrack this thread from where it's headed would help. (This is honestly the first one I've ever worried that might need to be locked before it's all said and done...)

Well, I didn't think it could be done, but we might have finally eclipsed the "Lonely Friday" thread...:thumbsup

It's kinda like wathcing a car wreck...you try not to look, but you just can't help yourself...:bouncegri

Speaking of grade stakes and dumptrucks...The first time I ever worked on a large "commercial" job for a friend of mine, I was running a Volvo articulated dump hauling off topsoil from where the parking lot was being built. The locations for all the stormwater drains were staked with three stakes (about 3' apart) Before we started for the day, I was reminded NOT TO HIT THE GRADE STAKES!!! Well, the first load out, I swung around the stakes, but cut it a little too close. Never touched the stakes. The tractor tires made it around the stakes, but the trailer tires passed right BETWEEN two of them...:eek: Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and thank God for ground clearence. Needless to say, after that I made sure I was plenty wide of all the stakes.

digger242j said:
No, Tyler. Jeff is not one of them--He is their King.
Jeff D. said:
Yeah, that's right!!:yup I'm the "King Crap" in turd town.:bouncegri
Well, since I've got that shiny new CDL in my pocket, I will take this opportunity to pledge my allegience to Jeff, and acknowledge him as my supreme leader...:notworthy

Wow, suddenly, I feel the urge to run out, jump in a big truck, cruise around town, and start runnin' over every grade stake I can find...:bouncegri Yeehawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Cowboy

Joe

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
WOW, i'm speachless, go away for 4 days and one thread about a little operation at the house goes off track, is about to be shut down and Jeff D has been declared a supreme leader, I think i just might have to go get back in my truck and leave again, this time i'm looking for a job site with alot of stakes and a few open lunch boxes.

tylermckee

Electra_Glide said:
Well, since I've got that shiny new CDL in my pocket, I will take this opportunity to pledge my allegience to Jeff, and acknowledge him as my supreme leader...:notworthy

Wow, suddenly, I feel the urge to run out, jump in a big truck, cruise around town, and start runnin' over every grade stake I can find...:bouncegri Yeehawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Cowboy

Joe

All ive got is my CDL instruction permit, can i still join the club, i must say i love to run **** over! :bouncegri

Electra_Glide

Now hold on a second there Mr Tyler...

First you posted this:
tylermckee said:
:nono you are one of those moron truck drivers :laugh
And now you posted this:
tylermckee said:
All ive got is my CDL instruction permit, can i still join the club, i must say i love to run **** over! :bouncegri
Excellent!!! I see our evil master plan of taking over the world one operator at a time is starting to work. I'm sure our fearless leader Jeff will be most pleased, once he gets in from hitting curbs, grade stakes, lunchboxes, and little old ladies...

Now, to answer your question, yes you can join the club, but as your state CDL manual clearly points out, you must have a properly licensed moron in the right-hand seat until such time that you can prove you are proficient enough to do it all by yourself. After all, if we sent you out there alone, with just your permit, and you happened to MISS one of those stakes, can you image the harm that would do to our reputation?

Come over to the dark side...

Joe

Jeff D.

Arlo Guthrie: "I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motor-sickle."

Jeff D. : I don't wanna be a leader, I just wanna drive my elevation stake eater.":yup

That guy running Iran is called "Supreme Leader" already, so there can't be two.
How about we just continue going by our CB handles as our titles?

"Super Grover" said that!! I'm quiet, on the side.:cool:

Jeff D.

Electra_Glide said:
Excellent!!! I see our evil master plan of taking over the world one operator at a time is starting to work.
Joe, I tried to find a picture of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons for this quote, but couldn't. That sure sounds like something he'd say though.:yup

crash935

Occupation
Hey Joe, I'm coming your way and was wondedring if i could get the address to your job site, looking for a few good stakes to run over.

Jeff D.

Crash935, I see over at "LTS" you have a Freightliner Classic XL for an Avatar, is that your set of wheels?

I had one also, and wish I did again, they're a beautiful truck. Only thing I didn't like was the fuel mileage.(about 5mpg ave.)

Attachments

• various pics 055 (2).jpg
    various pics 055 (2).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 437

crash935

Occupation
Jeff,

Thats dads truck, for some reason i havent bothered to switch the avatars to my truck yet. I've got a 01 Freightliner FLD120 w/ 70" condo. Like the ride of the XL but the darn thing turns worse than a school bus.

I'm still sitting here at home because a production machine went down last night and they havent decide if they are going to release me with half a load, fill it with something else or empty it out yet.

Jeff D.

crash935 said:
I've got a 01 Freightliner FLD120 w/ 70" condo.
:thumbsup When I had my Classic XL I'd a 500hp Detroit in it, a buddy had a FLD 120 Condo w/435hp 3406E Cat. Both were 1650 ftlbs torque, and 13 speeds.

On occasion we'de run out west together, usually to Bismark or Minot ND, and even when we were loaded the same, fighting a head wind he could easily outpull me. My low sleeper didn't help any. He consistantly got 1+ mpg better too.:Banghead

The FLD doesn't look all that aerodynamic, but it cuts through the air better than alot of other trucks out there.
Like the ride of the XL but the darn thing turns worse than a school bus.
Yup, mine turned like an aircraft carrier too, with a 265" wheelbase. Not a good city truck.:spaz

It was a nice truck too drive though, when you needed to put away some milesticks. Held the road well, even when slippery.