• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aging and Wrenching

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Funny BUT TRUE, Wes.. Lol
I hate it when "the new guy" comes in & doesn't even have a screwdriver.!!!
& even the "old wrench" borrowing tools.. UGH.!!
MY MOTO IS> If I need MORE THAN 2x.. I'm buying it...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Funny BUT TRUE, Wes.. Lol
I hate it when "the new guy" comes in & doesn't even have a screwdriver.!!!
& even the "old wrench" borrowing tools.. UGH.!!
MY MOTO IS> If I need MORE THAN 2x.. I'm buying it...

Mine has seemed to evolve into if I THINK I might need it I buy it. Sometimes two...maybe that's why I have a shop full of stuff and 4 40' containers of odds and ends as well......o_O:cool:

Truck Shop

I keep up the tools but wasting money on Snap On at my age is crazy as hell, $141.00 bucks Snappy wants for their smooth and quiet 1/4 drive ratchet. That is foolish.
If it no longer works or has little value to me in the scrap or garbage it goes. If I have to move something twice to get at something I want then I obviously have
too much stuff.

Truck Shop

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've spent more than enough on tools. I pretty much only buy what's needed to replace my lost and broken stuff.

Wes J

I keep up the tools but wasting money on Snap On at my age is crazy as hell, $141.00 bucks Snappy wants for their smooth and quiet 1/4 drive ratchet. That is foolish.

That's foolish for anyone. Especially when you can buy a good quality SK or Proto that is made in the USA for $40.

Snap on prices are insane. 3/8 deep and shallow chrome sockets in inch and metric plus a few extensions and a long and short ratchet will set you back almost $2000.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Snap On prices are plumb goofy. I've got a couple sets of wrenches, one set I ordered in black finish to save $ many years ago. Most everything Snap On I have came from pawn shops or EBAY.

I'm so far beyond hand tools anyway. Hollow ram cylinders, hydraulic torque wrenches etc. I seem to get lucky and trade for them or find stuff like that for a great price. If nothin else I've got bartering material.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I haven't had much luck with Snap On. I must have been unlucky enough to pick all the stuff that slipped through quality control lol.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I ordered a couple snap on brake bleeder wrenches because they fit the old school Hurst Airhardt brakes on the Olds NASCAR really well. Shipped in and they had the dullest crappiest finish I'd ever seen on their tools. Took pics, wrote an email and a few days later they sent pics of an entire run of stuff that never made it to the last step of plating!

A few days after that I got two more new shiny wrenchs so now I have four! Lol.

The moral is yes, their QC has slipped some over the years. Plus it seems like they have a hard time keeping dealers going. If the truck isn't showing up then I really have no reason to buy their stuff.

Truck Shop

I have a 3/4 snappy ratchet head and ten 3/4 drive sockets I bought at a yard sale for 60 bucks. The gears have broken twice and snappy still has to fix it.
The letter code on those tools is a {S} for 1936. I buy the Napa Carlyle wrenches anymore, those work just fine and if you loose it you don't feel so bad.

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have some napa stuff I really like. I have 3 or 4 of their long handle 3/8 ratchets and I REALLY like them. Have some Kobalt stuff I like too. I have a good mixture of stuff. Even hit estate sales with my mom and find good stuff!

Damn I said stuff a lot! Haha

Wes J

I really like SK and Proto tools. I buy them through Zoro. The industrial brands like Wright, SK, Proto, Armstrong, etc are not as sexy, but the quality is great, made in USA, and cost a fraction of the truck.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Most of my stuff is a mix of Westward, Craftsman, Mastercraft, Mac and Matco. There's a few other lower end brands mixed in there too.

td25c

A little hearing loss over the years aint a bad thing .

We call it selective hearing . Wife tells ya to do something ....... You might hear the request and you may not .

We was dining at a Mexican restaurant last week . I ordered steak & Bud Light ....... Not sure what's up with the waiter's ? We were setting pretty close to the kitchen and they yell out the order loud in Spanish to the cook .

Then they come to the table & talk in a real low mumble type English that I can't hear or understand .

Wife intervened & said they are out of cold Bud Light ...... :)

" Oh hell , I thought it was something serious ! " Go ahead & bring out the warm barley soda . Only two kinds of beer .... Warm & cold . :D

Last edited:

DIYDAVE

Was out, in the field Flail mowin, with the new toy, fer the second time, I hears the (now) familiar rattle of a 3' long by 1/2" diameter steel fence post wrapping itself around the axle of the flail mower. Good thing I stopped it early, was able to hook the hole end of an adjustable wrench, out of the tractor's toolbox, and bend that sucker, just enough, to fish it out. If I were a younger man I woulda just grabbed that steel, and bent it out, bare handed... At least I caught the damn thing afore it wrapped tight. Last one I had to drive all the way to the truck, to cut off with bolt cutters... Learning is slow, but memory still works, occasionally...;)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I was "rebuilding" a picnic table out by my fire pit Monday..
The frame was good but the boards were on their last leg..
I grabbed my circular saw & went to town on her..
That "kick-back" can be a real bit*h.!!! I took the end of my finder off.!! Just a smidge to close.. Lol
The wife was at work & no neighbors in site..
OH WELL.. some cold water & some stupid glue will take care of it ?? YUP worked like a charm..
So.. just because ya got some "age" on ya.. doesn't mean your REAL smart.. Lol

Wes J

Was out, in the field Flail mowin, with the new toy, fer the second time, I hears the (now) familiar rattle of a 3' long by 1/2" diameter steel fence post wrapping itself around the axle of the flail mower.

When I was 18 I worked for the road commissioner mowing the ditches with a batwing mower. I hit all kinds off stuff, but the worst was an old steel matress frame with all the springs. That thing wrapped up in there like birds nest. I ended up taking it out in pieces with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel. Not a fun job.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I worked at a building demolition and debris dump once in a while that my employers owned. Worst thing in the world for final drive seals are mattress and box springs.