• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aging and Wrenching

Mother Deuce

This is a message for all the new guys (and girls) that want to do this for a living. Just remember who you really are working for... Yourselves. Don't let management push you into tearing your body to bits. I've been there with a lot of "attaboys" but it's not much help now.
When I was a kid, I was jumping out of a Freightliner cabover and this very senior driver named Red looked at me as he was walking by and uttered a message that I actually heard at 20 years old. He said "Your going to need those knees someday." and he just kept walking. Quit jumping out of cabovers that day! Some of the best advice I chose to hear. :)

Truck Shop

I always figured it this way, having a job with a dress code never cut it with me-fa8ting through polyester isn't working it's setting on your a$$. After 44 years I still like the job because
I enjoy what I do. Most people setting behind a desk are there because of a lack of talent, can't find their a$$ with both hands. Setting around sipping wine and talking crap about the
money they made. Most of those people die with little respect and few friends. No I'll stay where I am too late to change, sore body and all.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I always figured it this way, having a job with a dress code never cut it with me-fa8ting through polyester isn't working it's setting on your a$$. After 44 years I still like the job because
I enjoy what I do. Most people setting behind a desk are there because of a lack of talent, can't find their a$$ with both hands. Setting around sipping wine and talking crap about the
money they made. Most of those people die with little respect and few friends. No I'll stay where I am too late to change, sore body and all.

Truck Shop
I do it because that's all I know.

td25c

money they made.

Truck Shop

Beg to differ with ya there …… If ya want to know how a business is run ask the chick running the desk ,phone & computer . She will set ya strait on all issues Bro ! LOL :D

You got a lot to learn yet .:)

Last edited:

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
This is a message for all the new guys (and girls) that want to do this for a living. Just remember who you really are working for... Yourselves. Don't let management push you into tearing your body to bits. I've been there with a lot of "attaboys" but it's not much help now.
Yep, those pats on the back don't matter anymore when the knees ache on rainy days or just climbing stairs. Or when you have chemically-induced eczema from not wearing rubber gloves when working with certain chemicals, and the dry skin flare ups can irritate the hell out of you.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Remember washing down the black grease and oil with waste ATF then moving to the solvent wash sink or some waste diesel then Goop then to the bathroom for LAVA soap, skin so dry you could use it for 120grit!! I do think I still have internally absorbed Detroit Diesel oil that seeps out from under my nails EVERY DAY!

Can tell when rains coming, hate when rain is Here, some things ache when humidity changes others at temperature changes, and then there is always that time of year everything hurts for around two days to a week for seasonal change then just goes back to normal.

td25c

In 1970 safety glasses were not used much on construction jobs.
I wish they had been. I was was cutting a cable for a Cleveland trencher with a cable cutter that you hit with a sledge hammer. When I hit the chisel with a sledge hammer a chip went directly into my left eye and punctured it. The fluid from my eye ran down my face.
I will never forget the thought of having sight in only one eye that day. I was lucky, because I was told later by an eye surgeon that if the projectile had been a fraction of a millimeter closer to the pupil I would have lost all or part of my vision. It took several weeks for my to heal and I thank God every day that I have 20/20 vision in both eyes to this day.
Here is a picture of the style of cable cutter I was using.View attachment 181927

Sure glad to hear the eye healed up ! Never was a big fan of those cable cutters . Torch it off & weld the ends all the way .

td25c

There are days that I think guarding the door at Walmart might be a good gig. But I think shooting shoplifters would be trouble.

Good " Back Hand " slap upside the head should work fine when ya get that job RZ . :)

Probably be an app on the shoplifters smart phone buy that time ….

Don't lift anything from this store as they got a crazy feller greeting people and will slap ya around for steeling .:D

Truck Shop

Beg to differ with ya there …… If ya want to know how a business is run ask the chick running the desk ,phone & computer . She will set ya strait on all issues Bro ! LOL :D

You got a lot to learn yet .:)

You TD you have a lot to learn such as respect your elders. And if you would read what is written correctly you would know I'm not talking about the office help.
Don't troll me anymore understand. And keep your political crap to your self. Last time.

Truck Shop

td25c

Yeah Truck Shop … Now you cat's know not to take my late night HEF banter to serious .

I just come in here for a few laughs & catch up on what my buddy's are doing .

If I hurt anyone's feelings I would be the first to offer apology & cut an olive branch .