1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by CM1995, Mar 15, 2012.

1. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Well the man with the checkbook said fill it in.;)

Seriously, these were settlement ponds for surface run off during the major construction phase of this commercial parcel. I'm not sure how many acres this development is but it has a Publix grocery store and several out parcels.

The remaining parcels are heavily grassed so there is no need for the settling ponds. Scott a lot of what I do makes no sense to me since I don't have P.E. after my name. We'll construct a 4K SF building on a 3/4 acre lot and have to install a StormTech system or other underground detention system, then on other projects much larger there are no retention/detention ponds or systems. At this point in my career I've come to the conclusion that we get paid to put it in not design it..:)

Thanks for the compliments on the shots. That's the new iPhone with the 3 camera thingy.:D

dirty4fun, DMiller, Tags and 2 others like this.
  2. ScottAR

ScottAR Senior Member

A shirt I found and should have bought said it best. "I built it like you drew it."

Oxbow, Ronsii and CM1995 like this.
  3. grandpa

grandpa Senior Member

Damn... is that the way you southerners spell it..... dam, I've been writin it wrong all mah life.

Oxbow likes this.
  4. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Well, you're from Minnesota so you get a pass. Dam is a structure that blocks and impounds something, like a river. Damn is when one doesn't understand the difference between dam and damn. Like...just damn. :D

Greatwestcam, Nige, CM1995 and 3 others like this.
  5. grandpa

grandpa Senior Member

Soooo, what part of Minnesota are YOU from?

CM1995 and Oxbow like this.
  6. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Nah - I'm originally from North Dakota.:D

My fingers gravitate towards the curse word spelling..:p

grandpa and Oxbow like this.
  7. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

Sure some very nice looking work you are doing. Always enjoy seeing what you are up to.
    How do you like the new I Phone? I thought I was going to have to get a new phone a week ago. After tearing down two houses a garage and a block storage building. I had to break the basement walls down 2' below the new parking lot going over them. My phone was abnormally quiet, no spam calls even. The hydraulic hammer on the skid steer had shook me and the phone so much that the SIM card was no longer in place. One was a 10" concrete wall with gravel and lots of rebar. The other was an 8" concrete with limestone instead of gravel, much easier to break.

CM1995 likes this.
  8. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Thanks dirty. As far as the iPhone goes - it's a phone..:rolleyes:

The phone I had before was an X and it did everything I need it to do. The 11 Pro has the 3 cameras and a few software/user shortcuts. One I really like is if I need to text a picture or a contact the latest text conversations come up that you can scroll through which is nice if you are on a group text.

Other than that I haven't found any groundbreaking new features.:cool:

dirty4fun likes this.
  9. Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad Senior Member

Well I do have PE behind my name and I get to review plans designed by folks with PE behind their name. There is some real lack of commonsense out there. Like 2 catch basins, 1 on each side of the driveway on the TOP of the hill. Sloped down to the street and sloped down into the property.
    Another one I checked the grade of the flow line of the 12 inch culvert pipe to the finished grade of the driveway. Ah, the top pf the the pipe is 9 inches above the finished grade. My solution since the drive sloped away from the road was fill the depression it was draining and let it sheet flow where it has always drained. Their solution was to increase the slope of the culvert to get it under the pavement. The manhole on the other side with a catch basin grate was then 7 feet deep and needed an outlet pipe. The CB would catch about 15 feet x 75 feet of runoff water from the road. I said NO!! No pipe, no MH . I saved their client about $3500 in pipe, $2500 in a structure and $1500 in concrete end sections. And CM1995 didn't get stuck trying to figure out how to bury the pipe for an engineer that won't go explain to the client why the contractor wants an extra.

Oxbow, CM1995 and Ronsii like this.
  10. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

I can only imagine some of the designs that come across your desk RDD.:cool:

There is a particular engineering group here that has been around for ever that creates some screwed up drainage plans. Just goes to show what "reputation" and more importantly name recognition will get you.

They love to run 300' of 18" RCP to the highest point on the project to serve one yard inlet.

Here's an example from said engineering company - 4x4 yard inlet and 100' of 15" RCP run up the highest point on the job.

IMG_1478.JPG

Oxbow likes this.