1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by CM1995, Mar 15, 2012.

1. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I have seen them tack welded into circles and stacked up for a fire pit ring before.

2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Hang em' next to some 10-15 inch ductile and make hurricane/tornado wind chimes.. :)

wornout wrench, CM1995 and colson04 like this.
  3. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Weld them into a ridgid frame for your company sign. Like an oval with sprockets at the ends, Name between the sprockets. Sprockets not needed, use two truck rims (w/o tires). Mount the whole thing on a few boulders. Back light it, from the bottom (between boulders)

CM1995, Tags and Theweldor like this.
  4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Thanks for the ideas fellas. I've got the sprocket "rings" from the 321 that I could put on either end of one chain and go from there. I like the boulder idea hosspuller, there are some nice red sandstone boulders off a condo job at our dump that would work nicely.

5. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

So we needed to take advantage of bonus depreciation (thanks to a ROBUST economy;)) and our highest milage crew truck was a 2014 6.2 gasser had 200K on the odometer so it was time to replace it.

Decided to give RAM a shot which still surprises myself as I've been a Ford guy for pretty much my entire working career. o_O

Anyway bought a 2019 RAM 3500. 6.7, Aisin trans, 4x4, Tradesman package. The truck came with a Northstar bed with 2 underbody tool boxes.

Getting away from the iconic "white" work truck and moving towards silver as it's different and looks cleaner when it's dirty.

gHVyVFLITGWaXtgoOaxF6w.jpg

We installed a 110 gal tank we already had just had to give it a fresh paint job. Also had the two top Weatherguard boxes in storage as well. Just a fresh coat of paint and those boxes were good to go. Used some simple turnbuckles from HD to secure their Orca cooler.

9wgeWwGsTYaAX1Xjtr1qqQ.jpg 49+1OBmnRyifLLx35qe9+w.jpg

Bought this UWS drawer toolbox back in 2014 and has been in service since. Acid washed it, ruffed it up with some 200 grit and painted it black. Looks good on the new flatbed and balances out the cooler on the other side.

60073336278__68220BA3-F2E2-4061-8D25-E509D7DE8BBE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 2:02 AM
  6. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Nice !!!!! I like it :)

Always been a ford guy myself but after driving/using the dodges the boss has I'd switch in a minute given the chance!!!

CM1995 likes this.
  7. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

That's a fancy looking truck even if it's a dodge lol

In all seriousness good to see others are capitalizing on this market as well

CM1995 likes this.
  8. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Thanks Ronsii! We'll see how the RAM goes in the long haul. Many, many contractors in my area are running RAM 3500 flatbeds like this doing erosion control to heavy civil work. Both my supers are RAM fans.

HA! I'm with ya', still can't believe I bought one.

I am carefully and cautiously upgrading the main components of the 2 crews which each consist of a 320 size hoe, CTL, crew truck and trench roller. Currently have a 325FL with 1200 hrs with payment, 321DL with 7,000 hrs with no payment, 279D with very small balance owed, 279D bought new in 2019, 2013 F350 with no payment and 2019 RAM 3500 recently purchased. Trench rollers are both paid for and easily replaced through the auction houses so they are somewhat marginal.

Our D5G, 953C, 533E and 420DIT are all support machines and paid for that bounce between crews when needed. Just had the Cat house replace all 6 injectors and run the overhead on the 953. These machines are more profitable repairing instead of replacing with new as they don't rack up the daily hours but you need them to be competitive in the market place.

Next on the replacement schedule is a new 325 and a D5 with GPS.