• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310A backhoe Oil Filter O Rings Too big??

comet424

ok guys I just finished putting a new Pressure Control valve in the pressure control unit last week.. and I had to buy a new 45 degree Elbow fitting that was 75 bucks that goes to the loader circuit as the old one kept loosening.... did I do it right? I threaded it all the way in and had to back it off 1 full turn.... to set the fitting in right and then I turned the nut down and I guess that pushes the O ring in place

so now I wanted to do the O filters.... the rings are bigger then the seat on the filter housing... John deere says this is the right size its just tricky to put on... this seems BS... as if u try to tighten it up she pushed out of the groove and sits outside of the filter housing

I almost have to cut the O ring remove a section and re glue it together

or do you guys have ideas as this cant be right can it???

here some pics

Attachments

• PIC_1690.jpg
    PIC_1690.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 185
  • PIC_1689.jpg
    PIC_1689.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 182
  • PIC_1688.jpg
    PIC_1688.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 178
  • PIC_1687.jpg
    PIC_1687.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 180
  • PIC_1686.jpg
    PIC_1686.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 176

lantraxco

It's been a long time but if I am remembering right, what you need to do is place the seal inside the housing and get it sitting square and flat, then rotate and wiggle the canister as you tighten the center bolt so the canister slips inside the seal ring.

comet424

hmmm but even then if you put the seal in the housing it wont have anywhere to seat as I cant compress the ring as it will still push out??

here I found one of my old rings I pulled out of garbage you can see it has a little bit bigger but not as much as the new one

so now I not sure

Attachments

• PIC_1693.jpg
    PIC_1693.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 163
  • PIC_1692.jpg
    PIC_1692.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 165

comet424

so first pic is the Old o ring I pulled out of garbage
2nd pic is the new O ring... that's why I I cant see to get it to seat and I not sure if trying to get it to seat up in the housing will make it seat properly?

this backhoe is that old I guess eh?

comet424

ah ok so JD asked me to measure it very hard to measure the O ring

but I roughly measured new one is 5 7/16" and old one is 5 5/16"

frustrating lol as I cant shrink this O ring almost have to cut old a section and crazy glue it together

lantraxco

Don't know, you don't show the housing, just the can. You have to lay the o-ring flat in the housing (head) and then install the can into it. Grease helps. If it won't fit, it won't fit, wouldn't be the first time Deere or one of it's vendors screwed up. If the old rings are still pliable stuff them back in there or:
WIX numbers for the filter: 51147 and just the seal ring: 15318 or 15595 you should be able to order some from any decent auto parts house, they can cross reference to whatever brand they carry.

comet424

ok my bad I was calling the "can" the filter housing that holdes it in place

reason I say it it should fit on the lip of the Can.. as if it doesn't fit on the lip its going to leak as it has to sit on that ledge and not outside the ledge as its going to slip out if I put it in the housing as when you push the can on as you say... its going to push out since the O ring is bigger then the lip of the can there is no way to make it fit right?

its very frustrating lol and I cant find the old other o ring ill have to find where I put it unless it went into recycling lol

lantraxco

The lip on the can only serves to stop you from crushing the seal, it meets up with and tightens against a flat surface in the head. The seal fits inside the ID of the head and the the outer ring of the can compresses part of the seal, there is a small gap around the can but it's not wide enough for the seal to push out with the bolt snugged up, UNLESS for some reason there's a malfunction causing too high a pressure inside the filter. Coat the seal with some thick grease, clean the head with some spray cleaner and let it dry, then try to push the seal ring into the head working it around so it sort of compresses a bit and lays flat without any bulges. If it will then you're home free, if it continues to bulge out then it would be best to try and find some different seal rings.

comet424

ok ill give it a try

the new ring will fit into the "housing" that's on the backhoe all the way around pressing tightly to the outside of rim

but what I guessing is as you seen in the video the new oring is bigger and you can push it ouside of the lip

all I can think of is these cans don't have a big enough lip

since the orginal o ring is smaller and the bigger one is bigger and can be flipped outside of the cans ledge that it needs to sit on to seal. as that's the part its coming off of the spot the o ring needs to sit on and seal it sits outside of the outside diameter of the ledge... re take a look at my video

very frustrating lol as I don't think the o ring is supposed to sit right tight on the housing

comet424

so im guessing looking at the O ring on the can

that really the O ring doesn't sit on the lip to compress it has to sit half on the lip and half outside the can housing as this ring doesn't fit you can flip it off the edge of the can

comet424

I uploading another video

doesn't the stepped up lip on the can go on the inside of the rim of the housing... or does the Stepped up part on the can sit on the lip of the housing....
cuz then if that's true then I been doing it wrong that its ok for the O ring to be much bigger then the cans lip

chroniekon

Do you by chance have the part number of the ring that John Deere gave you. You can verify it's the right number by looking up the parts you're working on at jdparts.com

lantraxco

If you look at the picture you can see that the seal is stuffed up into the corner all the way around inside the head. Towards the center just inside the seal is a flat surface that the end of the can tightens up against. The seal is squished between the can and the head in two directions, it can't squeeze out. The only thing that matters is that the seal can lay inside the filter head flat with no bulges or irregularities before you install the can with the filter in it. When tightening the bolt you just have to make sure to wiggle the can a bit and rotate it so you're absolutely sure you haven't pinched the seal under the end of the can in one spot.

310A hyd filter.jpg

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
Just throwing in my 2 cents but I used to have the same problem with the fuel filter on our 81 JD 410. Every time I changed the filter the new O ring was way too big to stay in place and this used to drive me crazy trying to get the darn thing to stay in place until you tightened the canister. Oh I used to curse the idiots who designed such a stupid thing! Out in the bush somewhere trying to change that contraption with snow falling, etc. I just got into the habit of using the old O ring all the time! Never did use the new stretched version! And I too thought of cutting the new one to remove a piece but knew I could never get it to seal after that! Finally sold the darn thing and I swear every time I drive by I can see the poor devil fumbling with those big useless new O rings on the filters! :(

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Hi just replaced my filters on my 310a, you have to put the O ring in the head it will fit in there then carefully put the can and filter on. As you tighten the bolt with a light MAKE SURE the can slips in the filter head which will seal. Just a note I bought Baldwin filters for this same hoe and they don't give you the O rings Jeff

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Would anyone know if the accumulator on 310a is not working would that give you vibration in that high pressure line?? I have had this machine for long time and it has always made this noise when nothing is being operated,loader, hoe. I had assumed that it was the pump but when you put your ear to it with a screw driver it is quiet. I did check to make sure there were no steel lines touching anything. When I shut the engine down I can turn the steering wheel maybe half or one full turn. Don't know if I should rebuild it or not thanks Jeff

comet424

due to all these replies I guess it makes my video irrevelant now and you showed a pic of my filter housing I took in past to show the old filter o ring in there

its just something you don't see that the canister that the o ring wouldn't sit flush on it.. and that's hwy I guessing it will sit half and half .... half outside the canister and half on the canister ledge

but here is my video I took.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6eafCcjXo&feature=youtu.be

it seems irrevelant now since you guys said lay it in there and it holds perfectly in there etc

I appreciate all the help