• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1960 B75 Mack

Truck Shop

Rear drive housings housings are done and repainted, replaced shoes, hardware, s-cam bushings, slacks and installed four 3030 brake cans. Had the drums
turned, wasn't much wear on them so just made sure those were straight and round. No pics though, I cell wrapped them put them on a pallet covered with a tarp for winter.
Now to remove the steer axle springs and hangers and front frame horns, last parts of the Freightliner left. I'm going to use some sections of the 9" Freightliner frame
for crossmembers and gussets.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

Darn near finished with the suspension parts as far as clean up and repaint, have all the bushings coming next week to install. Picked up the front axle today at
the salvage yard, went to pay and was told that item was free also courtesy of Allan Chase of Hagerman Truck Salvage. I have been damn lucky so far on the parts
end of things.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Good friends in close businesses will generally be even better friends at the best times. Great to hear you are doing as well as are on the build!!

Truck Shop

Finishing up the last of the rear suspension-disassembling the four rear spring packs and buffing the rust off each leaf. Coating with rust fix and painting them all separate.
It's a bunch of work but it's the only way to do it otherwise those springs will just bleed rust, Have two spring packs done and will do the same with the ones on the steer
axle. Hopefully I will order frame rail material at the end of December.

Truck Shop

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If you paint each leaf what will happen? My guess would be that they will tear a lot of the paint off when they flex. Possibly also causing the ubolts to need torquing frequently. I realize this is not a work truck but just wondering what the expected outcome of paint among the leaves would be.

Truck Shop

If you paint each leaf what will happen? My guess would be that they will tear a lot of the paint off when they flex. Possibly also causing the ubolts to need torquing frequently. I realize this is not a work truck but just wondering what the expected outcome of paint among the leaves would be.

Actually nothing will happen, the ends will scuff some but that's expected. Iv'e done this before with springs and no issues, the paint is just a thin coat to keep them looking decent
with out rust trails. If you paint only the out sides every time you wash the rig rust trails will appear and that looks like hell on a rig like this one. And the u-bolts will stay tight.
But it's a good question BV.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Actually nothing will happen, the ends will scuff some but that's expected. Iv'e done this before with springs and no issues, the paint is just a thin coat to keep them looking decent
with out rust trails. If you paint only the out sides every time you wash the rig rust trails will appear and that looks like hell on a rig like this one. And the u-bolts will stay tight.
But it's a good question BV.

Truck Shop
Nobody has suggested bedliner yet??:D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ford and Fruehauf for years used a semi resilient coating that never got less than tacky years ago. Not really a paint or a polymer but a self-sealing sticky mess that was applied to each leaf before assembly into a pack, most often on the old taper leaf assemblies. From what I witnessed of it lasted around four or five years on nasty road conditions. Local spring shop does paint each leaf or at least dips them in a priming agent prior to assembly then paints each stack completely afterward. Springs do scuff as they flex but is not all that much generally.
I did Not paint my springs, did knock the scale and loose rust from the leaves prior to reassembly, no need as this is NOT a show machine. I applaud your attention to details TS.

Truck Shop

Question/getting your thoughts.

I'm looking to install a Intellitronix universal digital gauge system, It will cut down on wiring totally programmable and I can use a GPS speedo-even less crap.
The wiring harness I have already figured out and it will work great with this gauge pack. I will just have two separate gauges, one air with primary and secondary
built in and a trans temp gauge. The only other would maybe be a boost gauge for the hell of it. What do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellitro...21951649?epid=20017010601&hash=item48b1e0e6a1

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Question/getting your thoughts.

I'm looking to install a Intellitronix universal digital gauge system, It will cut down on wiring totally programmable and I can use a GPS speedo-even less crap.
The wiring harness I have already figured out and it will work great with this gauge pack. I will just have two separate gauges, one air with primary and secondary
built in and a trans temp gauge. The only other would maybe be a boost gauge for the hell of it. What do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellitro...21951649?epid=20017010601&hash=item48b1e0e6a1

Truck Shop
Quite an interesting idea. It's too bad they don't have the option of the air gauges.
On another note... You don't need 36 different gauges like the hay haulers have and don't watch? :D I got in a truck the other day and couldn't find the oil pressure gauge. But they all had cute chrome bezel covers with eyebrows. What a bunch of distracting crap, "James", my old GMC 9500 had the bare bones gauge package that was easy to monitor and did the job just fine. :cool:

petepilot

that gps speedo just rang my bell, been fighting a speedo setup which is not acting right ,i have some pretty radical gears to deal with one of those might just solve my problem, not all that expensive either

crane operator

I guess I just like the look of the old style gauges. I'm sure that can be hard to find ones that work or fix them so they will work, but to me that's part of the appeal of the old truck.

And Rzucker- my feelings are kind of hurt. My western star has the eyebrow covers on all the gauges (I didn't put them on, but I haven't taken them off either). And its got a whole pile of dials. I was a little confused when I first got it, I felt like I was staring at a airplane cockpit. The old ford 9000 didn't have all that stuff- I was just looking for oil pressure and temp.

Voltage? I don't need no stinking voltage, I drive in the daylight, and if you got a detroit turning, you don't need any stinking voltage. Turnsignals? I know where I'm going....

Air brake application? Like I need a gauge to tell me my foot is on the brake.

Air suspension? I don't know I'm loaded?

Fuel Pressure? As long as its running I probably have fuel pressure.

crane operator

How can a panel like this be wrong? Can you even get the good SW gauges anymore, or are they all cheap chinese junk now?

If you have to go aftermarket, they make some pretty nice new stuff that at least looks old?

pa0817-294343_7@2x.jpg

NewProd-Image-11.jpg
twinthreepr1024.jpg
CH51VT62_1000.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I enjoyed having a suspension load indication on the dump set up, wish it had the trailer gauge IN the cab but had to get out and look, all the others were pretty well DED dead trans, diff oil temps never worked, never paid any mind to brake application but stayed attentive when the air brake supplies moved too much too often. Voltmeter is enough did not need a Ammeter, quite a few others had little benefit. And Pete's twin fuel gauges with that bastardized split vale control under the cab instead of a cross over and a single gauge never did make any sense.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
All this talk about gauges and the picture of the B-Model dash reminded me of a Mack Service Bulletin that came out shortly after the B-Models were phased out. Seems some drivers could not find the high beam indicator in the dash. they were used to the red light between the fuel gauge and the oil pressure gauge in Crane Operators post above. Seems some one decided to put a blue light behind the bulldog near the bottom of the speedometer and use that for a high beam indicator!

And that reminded me of the time one plant in our area had a nice new R model that after having it for a year I had to show them where the washer fluid went. They could not believe the washer tank was in the passenger door! I guess no one ever thought to look at that book in the glove box!

Truck Shop

Actually crane operator there is nothing wrong with the old style gauges. The only thing about this rig of mine that will be Mack is the cab, radiator and sheet metal.
The fact that I'm extending the hood out 14" will more than likely make it the only long hood B model ever. My question wasn't really about the look of old gauges
but rather functionality. But when it's done It will be truly one of a kind, not like most generic rigs. One stack, one air cleaner and one chrome Luberfiner oil filter
housing. I like the unbalance of those items. Turbo is 5" exhaust so who needs two stacks. I'm just wondering about shock and some vibration creating issues
with electronic dash.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

I guess I just like the look of the old style gauges. I'm sure that can be hard to find ones that work or fix them so they will work, but to me that's part of the appeal of the old truck.

And Rzucker- my feelings are kind of hurt. My western star has the eyebrow covers on all the gauges (I didn't put them on, but I haven't taken them off either). And its got a whole pile of dials. I was a little confused when I first got it, I felt like I was staring at a airplane cockpit. The old ford 9000 didn't have all that stuff- I was just looking for oil pressure and temp.

Voltage? I don't need no stinking voltage, I drive in the daylight, and if you got a detroit turning, you don't need any stinking voltage. Turnsignals? I know where I'm going....

Air brake application? Like I need a gauge to tell me my foot is on the brake.

Air suspension? I don't know I'm loaded?

Fuel Pressure? As long as its running I probably have fuel pressure.

You won't mind if I pull a Truck Shop level ten inspection on your trucks will you. lol

Truck Shop