• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1960 B75 Mack

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
But I betcha he knows those that CAN!! Old Pete I was driving is currently OOS until the owner gets a write up from a mechanic as to viable or not. I noted rust build up deforming the upper frame flanges under the 5th wheel slider plate, the plate itself was deforming upward and enough could not get it to slide to full back for use on a Bullrack. The STL DOT is Supposed to have ALSO seen that and decided he has 30 days(a week or so ago) to get it to a shop and have evaluated after which the report goes to States Brown Shirts. Upper flanges were depressed around a quarter inch at center of the corroded region, the slider plate up close to the same.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
But I betcha he knows those that CAN!! Old Pete I was driving is currently OOS until the owner gets a write up from a mechanic as to viable or not. I noted rust build up deforming the upper frame flanges under the 5th wheel slider plate, the plate itself was deforming upward and enough could not get it to slide to full back for use on a Bullrack. The STL DOT is Supposed to have ALSO seen that and decided he has 30 days(a week or so ago) to get it to a shop and have evaluated after which the report goes to States Brown Shirts. Upper flanges were depressed around a quarter inch at center of the corroded region, the slider plate up close to the same.
This is why I prefer single frame rails on a truck. A good 3/8" 120K rail is much better than rusty double rails.

Truck Shop

Everyone of our Freightliners have 7/16 rail, It's the one thing that has really made them a good rig for us. No sway back with tag axle hauling 100K. They even ride better
than most rigs.

crane operator

I knew I shouldn't have gone spouting off about gauges. It turned a little cold and snowy here, so I had to hustle and get the Pete that's grown roots in one of my shop bays booted out the door, so I can have the cranes we need tomorrow inside.

Wouldn't you know it, the only gauges that work in the stupid thing is the air pressure and oil pressure. I don't think anything else even wiggled. I didn't run it long enough to see if water temp came up, but no tach, no speedo, no voltage, no nuthin.

If you come over and write anything up- you're fixing it!

20181112_162824.jpg

Truck Shop

Oh no inspectors never get dirty, I strictly write tickets and oversee things you know like the sheriff of Nottingham.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Mike, I have a guy looking for old Mack rear parts, You still have the rears from the B75? give me a call tomorrow.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I knew I shouldn't have gone spouting off about gauges. It turned a little cold and snowy here, so I had to hustle and get the Pete that's grown roots in one of my shop bays booted out the door, so I can have the cranes we need tomorrow inside.

Wouldn't you know it, the only gauges that work in the stupid thing is the air pressure and oil pressure. I don't think anything else even wiggled. I didn't run it long enough to see if water temp came up, but no tach, no speedo, no voltage, no nuthin.

If you come over and write anything up- you're fixing it!

View attachment 188115

Add some more of those chrome thingys and see if that helps.
Seriously, I would check grounds and the ECM feeds for loose/bad connections.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those old systems with sensor drives would occasionally fail to work in the cold. Had basically Hall Effect generators that with a little age, oil and other contaminates would cease functioning. 1992 should not be cable drive in the dash as to speedo or tach.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Everyone of our Freightliners have 7/16 rail, It's the one thing that has really made them a good rig for us. No sway back with tag axle hauling 100K. They even ride better
than most rigs.

Can still remember the old COE Freightliners from 1975/6/7 that had such weak backs we would bet newbies they could not stand on the rails and keep both feet planted thru five gears. Won a LOT of $20's that way, most were hanging to the stack brace on their butts when came to a stop. Those old wagons flexed like rubber! Ugly as to cracking cross members and gussets. Re-railed quite a few where Freightliner had a bad load of heat treated rails get loose, would crack aside the shift tower mount or right rear engine mount, believe those were mainly 1976 units.

Truck Shop

Sometimes a overcharging alternator will cause gauges to act up especially the tack and speedo.--I see an out of service issue on that Pete.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
ECM? ECM? The white pete is a 1992, with a 3406B, I hope ECM isn't in its vocabulary. Or is there some sort of cab module that controls the gauge package?
Oops I didn't realize it was an elderly Pete. Check the ground cable on the left front cab mount and the electric gauge feed power.

crane operator

Image? - shoot I'm going for the full sensory experience- imagine the smell.

Speaking of images, I'm tired of reading about work getting done on this mack- I want to see some pictures.

Big dog - big dog - big dog - I WANNA SEE THE BIG DOG!