• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Squizzy's Jalopy

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Well, I saw your "cartoon like" pictures of a flying skid-steer too:

Hey! It took me the better part of the afternoon and a full box of crayons--the 64 colors, not just the 48--to do those pictures, and this is the thanks I get??? :mad:

:rolleyes:

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
Hey! It took me the better part of the afternoon and a full box of crayons--the 64 colors, not just the 48--to do those pictures, and this is the thanks I get???
I'l move this quote over from Steve's car thread, since I haven't big enough ka-hoohoo's too hi-jack his, and since it's relevent.
digger242j said:
Oh, well. Here I was, thinking the new ride meant you'd come into some money, and the Mods could expect their pay to be doubled too...
No, you will get your just rewards for everything you do on HEF.

Steve's trying to decide if merely doubling your pay would sufficient. 2 x $0's= $0's

I say triple it, cuz you're worth every penny!! 3 x $0's = $0,s
:bouncegri

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
Will you guys stop it...I'm trying to work here:Banghead
Very well then, carry on.

I need too crawl up in my big truck and hit the super slab for a bit anyhoo.......so there!!:yup

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Ford LT-9000 said:
That truck will probably carry better than pull.

I agree but why is that? I've always noticed that having say 8 tons in the truck is easier to move than 8 tons behind the truck. Is it because of where I'm pulling from (pintle hook)? If there is enough traction, and we don't worry about the ride difference or stopping power right now, just getting the load moving or pulling a hill seems to be different with the same amount of weight. :confused:
Just my imagination?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The truck only has a 4 banger rice cooker diesel its not big power but for what Squizzy is doing and where he is traveling it will be fine. I have a feeling fuel economy is high on the the list not sure what he pays per litre for diesel fuel.

You put a 8000lb load on the truck it probably gross 16,000lbs I'am assuming the tare weight to be around 8000lbs. You put 8000lbs on a trailer plus the weight of the trailer your looking at 10,000lbs now your gross combined weight is 18,000lbs. Add in the extra drag of 4 extra tires the truck has to try get rolling.

You put a load on the truck that makes the truck gross 18,000lbs its grossly overloaded that poor 150hp diesel is going to be sucking wind.

Squizzy is probably going to keep the truck on a diet to keep the tare weight down so the truck has max "Legal" payload.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
My dump truck loaded (but w/o the trailer) weighs about the same as the dump truck (empty) pulling the trailer loaded and seems to run better that way. I always attributed it to the extra wind resistance pulling the trailer (and the extra 8 tires on the ground). Trailer overall length is 30 ft and that creates a lot of wind drag behind the dump truck.

Jeff D.

Bob Horrell said:
My dump truck loaded (but w/o the trailer) weighs about the same as the dump truck (empty) pulling the trailer loaded and seems to run better that way. I always attributed it to the extra wind resistance pulling the trailer (and the extra 8 tires on the ground). Trailer overall length is 30 ft and that creates a lot of wind drag behind the dump truck.

I've been told that flatbedder's can improve their fuel mileage just by tarping their loads. Any way to transition the wind more smoothly over the edges, and fill in the voids can help.

I've noticed end-dumps on the highway, and when they forget (or maybe on purpose) to latch the tailgate, the bottom will swing open 2-3 feet. There's alot of air built up infront of it, too get it to do that.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I don't think Squizzy is going to be doing break neck speeds in the Isuzu carrying the excavator :laugh

He will be lucky if he can get up to 70-80 km/h carrying a machine and yanking a tool trailer. Who needs to go faster than that anyways.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Ford LT-9000 said:
He will be lucky if he can get up to 70-80 km/h carrying a machine and yanking a tool trailer. Who needs to go faster than that anyways.

What, you mean I don't need a 600 cubic inch V8 700 Hp Gas Guzzler???:eek: :rolleyes:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I don't think you have the song "Get your motor running heading down the highway" on your radio with dark sunglasses on :laugh

The big honking V-8 that burns 5 gallons of gas just starting it up is pretty much limited to the USA and parts of Canada.

I had to buy some premium fuel for some chainsaw mix it is $ 1.30 per litre for high octane fuel I forget the number I was just looking at the price :eek:

With the price of diesel fuel at 1.15 per litre a good economical engine is going to be needed.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
The wind resistance is probably a good bet with the weight being the same like Bob said.
Maybe I'll start running around with the tailgate pinned open barn-door style and shrink-wrap the backhoe like they do to boats being transported. :thumbsup
Better not say that too loud - it'll be the next DOT idea. ...Equipment chained and hermetically sealed...:eek:

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
The wind resistance is probably a good bet with the weight being the same like Bob said.
Do an experiment on fuel mileage with tarping your box when mt, and then having it retracted mt, see how much difference it makes.

I bet it would make some if you run alot of highway miles.:yup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Ford LT-9000 said:
I don't think you have the song "Get your motor running heading down the highway" on your radio with dark sunglasses on :laugh

The big honking V-8 that burns 5 gallons of gas just starting it up is pretty much limited to the USA and parts of Canada.

I had to buy some premium fuel for some chainsaw mix it is $ 1.30 per litre for high octane fuel I forget the number I was just looking at the price :eek:

With the price of diesel fuel at 1.15 per litre a good economical engine is going to be needed.

ULP is $1.26/ltr and diesel is $1.39/ltr here at the moment. Now I have had D***heads on TV and Polticians explain all how the reasons why diesel is more expensive than petrol Blah Blah....what a load of BullShyte. What I should be running on is LPG at 50 cents/litre.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The oil companies are really scared that Biodiesel has a chance of replacing diesel fuel.

I wouldn't own a propane powered truck ever again they are a pain in the azz sure the fuel is cheaper but its nothing but head aches.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Not going to happen. If all the land used to produce food and animal feed was used for biofuel it would still produce only a small perdentage of the amount of oil consumed.

Ther is just not enough farmable land in the world to produce anywhere near enough fuel.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well I got the truck finally and it topped out at 90 kph (56 mph) with the excavator and trailer which is a bit dissappointing. It should pull about 110 kph with a full load so over the next few weeks I will post some pics and stuff about getting the Rice Burner up to speed. The main problem is its had too much love from its previous owner..which is all about to change. :rolleyes: