• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Squizzy's Jalopy

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
A post hoist is the only way to go a scissor hoist is heavy and powers out when you overload the box. Any post hoist on a 1 to 2 ton truck will bend the frame before it powers out. Its what I have in my basement ready to get installed on a truck if I ever find one.

I can carry the hoist in my hands and its rated for 8 ton try do that with a scissor hoist not likely :bouncegri

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
C,mon Digger...whats the hoist storey???

Hey Squizzythat steering wheel is on the wrong side of the truck.

Oh crap...I never noticed that...maybe I can get it shifted...then again...that would mean the steering wheel would be on my side of the truck and I'd have to drive instead of yelling at my nephew, drinking beer on the way home and talking on the cell phone.:wink2

Just an update...but haven't got my handy dandy imperial units converter thing handy...but the fuel economy figures are in:

Lets see...we got 80 litres for 530 kilometres...and thats loaded and being pushed as hard as she will go....thats 18 gallons for...331 miles...so thats...18.4 Mpg...not very good but its early stages and the engine is spinning better everyday. It should run about 23 Mpg heavily loaded and being driven by a madman :)rolleyes: ) and around 28 Mpg when I'm running around empty.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Yes indeed. That would be it... :Banghead

(Thanks Jeff. I forgot I'd posted those. A picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it?) :yup

I'd forgotten that I'd looked at those before. But anyway, In end dumps it has very little to do with the actual hoist cyclinder and lots to do with the chassis rail and the rear body hinges. The hoist is hinged top and bottom to allow the body to move.

Jeff D.

Yes indeed. That would be it... :Banghead

(Thanks Jeff. I forgot I'd posted those. A picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it?) :yup
It certainly helps too show how you've arrived at your opinion of those hoist's.:yup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I hate to admit this--it's been so long I don't remember the exact details. (That's the part I hate to admit--that it's been that long.) Anyway...

I do recall that I'd had the original hoist rebuilt once, and had further problems, and ended up replacing the whole thing. The guy at the hydraulic shop was able to locate a brand new one, at a reasonable enough price that it was worth just putting that new one in there. That's the one in the picture.... :mad:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Scissor hoists are horrible they add weight to your truck and you need a hoist way over rated for the amount of weight you want to actually dump.

I had the caculations on the power it takes to dump a body a front mount post hoist takes less power to dump the same load because it has leverage.

Electra_Glide

I'll be the lone dissenting voice--I don't like the hoist. And that opinion stems from personal experience, having owned one like it... :spaz
Ok..I give in..whats the matter with the bloody hoist?...there only about a million of them down here so this had better be good.:rolleyes:

Digger,

Remember, he's around on the other side of the world. They're all driving around upside-down, so they don't need a heavy-duty hoist when they dump...:yup

Joe

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm with digger on this one. The hoist on my F-550 is like squizzy's and if I'm the least bit off angle with it, it won't come down until I level the truck up. That becomes difficult if you've had to back underneath something to dump.

I drove an Autocar dump with a scissors hoist for a few years and was in some pretty precarious positions to dump the load. Scissors style hoists are MUCH more stable than a front piston. In fact, the company I worked for would send either my truck or its twin to deliver loads that were known to be in tough spots. Neither truck ever went over.

I often worked on site with this truck and it would be loaded to overflowing. The body always went up when you pulled the lever. A scissors hoist might be a little heavier than a front piston, but that's due to the extra steel involved which is exactly why they are more stable.

Each style hoist has their place.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Digger,

Remember, he's around on the other side of the world. They're all driving around upside-down, so they don't need a heavy-duty hoist when they dump...:yup

Joe

Yeah, but they need "power down"...

Reference scissor vs post types, the one I liked best was "none of the above". It was the one I eventually used to replace the damaged one in those pictures. Since the whole subframe was trashed, I cut the subframe and bed rails off the bed of my very first dump truck (which had a bed that was pretty much junk from the floor up.) I welded that whole assembly to the crossmembers of the bed in the pictures.

The hoist that came with that setup was a three stage cylinder, but it was mounted just about in the middle of the bed. It was probably 8 or 10 inches in diameter, and 18" long when collapsed. It stuck down between the frame rails of the truck itself just a little, so I had to relocated the vacuum reservoir to outside the frame. I also had to piggyback the hydraulic tank onto the truck hydralic tank (that setup had a tank that was integral to the subframe assembly, between the rails,) in order to have enough fluid to extend it all the way. It used that much more than the skinny post cylinder it replaced. A bigger pump would've helped then, because it was sort of slow to raise, but it worked.

I don't know how much use it had over its lifespan, but since it outlasted the original bed, and served for the rest of the useful life of the Ford in the picture, I'd have to say it was a pretty durable setup.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Digger,
Any chance to get a pic of it?
So it was kind of a hybrid? A sectioned cylinder that attached generally where a scissor would to the body?

Would an aluminum body be more stable when dumping than a steel one of the same size?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Sorry, I'm 99.9% sure I don't have a picture of it, and it's long gone.

And yes, it was located roughly where a scissor hoist would've mounted. It didn't require a doghouse, any more than a scissor hoist would have. It wasn't a hybrid, at least not in the sense that I use that word. It was specifically built to be right there, where it was. At the top mounting, there was a flat plate about 3/4 of an inch thick that carried the load from the bed's frame rails.

It was tough enough that once a hired driver we had, backed into a spot where he was tilted too far to one side. Goofball raised the bed, but thought better of it about halfway up, because it started feeling like it was going go go over, sooo..., he lowered the bed. The only problem was that he had the driver's door open and the cab protector crushed the top of the door--that's how badly it was tilting. It popped some welds in the subframe, but never bothered that cylinder...

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
One of the stronger dumping systems that is stable is lift cylinders like a rolloff truck you have two cylinders pushing. Almost 99% of the lumber trucks have them under a 16' dumping flatdeck. A flatdeck does twist more than a gravel box.

One truck I was inquiring about the owner had installed a new scissor hoist and I asked why he said the old one part of the hoist frame let go and punched right through the deck. The forces to make a scissor hoist is far greater because that hydraulic cylinder has no leverage its brute force to make the deck lift. The only way to make less strain is move the hoist closer to the cab then it decreases your dump angle. Move the hoist closer to the hinges it gives you a better dump angle but you loose capacity.

Under body Hoist

www.delhydraulics.com/hoists/undermount.html

This is what I have

www.delhydraulics.com/hoists/fmount.htm

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
It wasn't a hybrid, at least not in the sense that I use that word. It was specifically built to be right there, where it was. At the top mounting, there was a flat plate about 3/4 of an inch thick that carried the load from the bed's frame rails.
Digger,
Sorry, I didn't mean hybrid in the cobbled up / slapped together sense. I meant that it seemed to be taking the best of both of the other systems and making a 1+1=3 kinda thing.:thumbsup

It was tough enough that once a hired driver we had, backed into a spot where he was tilted too far to one side. Goofball raised the bed, but thought better of it about halfway up, because it started feeling like it was going go go over, sooo..., he lowered the bed. The only problem was that he had the driver's door open and the cab protector crushed the top of the door--that's how badly it was tilting. It popped some welds in the subframe, but never bothered that cylinder...
Did that guy move to MD? Cause I think I worked with him before....
Or is this one of those thinly veiled confession stories that start - "I have this friend and he..."
:wink2

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Did that guy move to MD? Cause I think I worked with him before....
Or is this one of those thinly veiled confession stories that start - "I have this friend and he..."
:wink2

I think he came from down here...we have a couple of villages that are lacking "in house" amusement.:rolleyes: