• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Squizzy's Jalopy

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
OK..Here is the report on the new old truck. Its a 1997 Isuzu NPR 400 long with the tail shortened to take a drop side 13'6" tipper body. Its very stock standard and has one owner (Botanic Gardens) for its massive 47,600 miles with dealer servicing. The computer printout from the dealer list things like belts, hoses, and the usual consumables.

The engine is a naturally aspirated 4 pot (4HF1) thats a pretty bulletproof model and is turbo charged on newer models. Good for about 100 horses.
5 speed manual trans with no air (bugger). 16" rubber (12 plys) all round. GVM is 16,100 lbs and it went over the weighbridge empty the other day with a Tare of 8,157 lbs including me..the dog and a full tank of diesel :D

Driving around 40 miles from the dealer to get back to the yard I thought she was a bit sluggish to get going for no load. Never had time to think about it cause I had to drill the holes in the dump body for the ramps, load the skid and get going. My fears confirmed shingleback pulled like slug with a hangover, struggling get past 52 Mph on the highway.

First point of call was the air cleaner and low and behold it was packed with sawdust and leaves. I called by my brothers workshop (bro who is mechanic very handy family asset:rolleyes: ) and grabbed a Donaldson replacement paper element as no amount of tapping and blowing would clean the old one out. What a difference that makes. So now we weere getting around 59 Mph and she was more like a willing worker. I looked on-line for that Yank mob with the re-useable cotton hi-flow filter (can't remember the name) but can't see a size that will fit...nor could I find a washable foam one from Finer Filters so I'll keep looking.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Next point of call was a newer fuel filter, oil filter and a change to Penrite semi-synthetic oil. Going over the exhaust and the erratic operation of the exhaust brake yielded a couple of clues to poor performance. First the exhaust flange on the inlet side of the muffler is blowing a bit suggesting the muffler is badly clogged. Second is the solenoid valve for the exhaust brake was broken on the vacuum side which may have been affecting the operation of the butterfly valve. Anyway, I got the new solenoid overnight from the dealer but I havent fitted it yet. I'm booked into the exhaust guy tomorrow morning.

On saturday I had to take the skid down to my brothers (the mechanic) property and do a heap of work...to pay back all the filters an oil an stuff I got from him:rolleyes: . With the exhaust brake decommissioned and a good 50 miles run with a brick on the accelerator we just got to 62 Mph on the flat. The good thing is there is just the faintest hint of black smoke under full acceleration and thats it. The general consensus is the bloody thing has never done any work and has not hauled at highway speeds at all. There is a 25 Mph speed limit in the park where it worked and the thing rarely left the grounds. Some carbon/glaze up is likely and a good flogging is in order.

I have to fit the brake controller system and get the Air Con serviced but everything else seems in very good order. I will post a few pics as we go.

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
the exhaust flange on the inlet side of the muffler is blowing a bit suggesting the muffler is badly clogged.
That very well could be, with all that slow running it did. Diesels need alot of air, and no restrictions. Does it have a catylitic converter on it too? My Chevy 6.5L diesel has/had one, and it basically is/was just a soot trap.:rolleyes: If it has one and you can ditch that too without any worries about passing an inspection,I'd do it also.
Squizzy246B said:
Some carbon/glaze up is likely and a good flogging is in order.
My IH dump truck had been used as a spare for running from the pit too the redi mix plant, and probobly had 7 zillion(or less) hrs idling. It had alot of blowby from the crankcase breather at first. It slowly cut down with subsequent use to an amount that doesn't concern me enough to do an in-frame on it yet. Hopefully yours will clean up with some highway miles, and start spinning free & easy.
Squizzy246B said:
I have to fit the brake controller system and get the Air Con serviced.
Squizzy246B said:
5 speed manual trans with no air (bugger).
It has air conditioning then? What's the other "no air (bugger) about? Something to do with the tranny? No air splitter(range selector), or was it just the air conditioning didn't work?

Which brand brake controller are you gonna go with?

Good Luck with her Mr. Squizzy
(are you gonna have some pics for us once you get her lettered up, and the box work done?)

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Does it have a catylitic converter on it too?

No cat fitted, the exhaust guy just rang to say the muffler is good but the tail pipe was crushed and has been renewed. The exhaust brake all checks out Ok.

What's the other "no air (bugger) about?

No Air brake system

The A/C just needs a leak test and gas up.

Which brand brake controller are you gonna go with?

I think its the Voyager one....only thing I need to step down from 24 to 12 volt for it...and not forgetting the brake pedal input so I'll need a two channel step down.

are you gonna have some pics for us once you get her lettered up, and the box work done?

Will Doo Mildew.....Called the letteringupMan just a couple of hours ago and he's coming around tomorrow morning. And the skid job I did after picking up the truck last weekend was for the blasting and painting guy...I have so many wheels and deals going I can't remember who owes who what but I'm sure it will work out.

Well I'm off to pick up the truck from the exhaust guy who is a mate of our tree lopper. The exhaust guy did my exhaust as a favour for the tree lopper who owed me for a little excavator job! :D Then I'm taking the bare (and already blasted) body for our tools trailer out to Bob the builder to get the body modified...and I'm gunna pay Bob some cash but he is mates with Harry the blasting guy and Harry owes Bob a favour or two....and.....after that I'm not sure:confused:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Need to mount two 8 inch chrome stacks no mufflers make the little 4 banger make some noise :bouncegri

Also need a big chrome visor a big chrome drop bumper and lots of chicken lights :yup

The little cab overs never have been speed demons but they do run for ever and they do pack a decent load. The exhaust brakes on the little 4 cylinders hold really well too.

I don't think Squizzy will have the same problem that affects the Isuzu trucks around here which is orange cancer aka rust. Usually the cab rots off before anything else. I know a few old GMC W4500 and W5000 go 500,000kms the engines never been touched.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
stirthepot.gifI gots a little song too...

I'm a little piece of tin
Nobody know what shape I'm in
Got six wheels and a white top too
I'm a two door, I'm an Isuzu

Honk Honk Rattle Rattle Rattle Crash Crash Beep Beep
Honk Honk Rattle Rattle Rattle Crash Crash Beep Beep.....

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well I'll just ignore the musical/literary attempts:rolleyes: lol

I fitted the new exhaust brake solenoid and the system works well. Exhaust guy pulled the butterfly valve and everything was in good condition. The old tail pipe was worse than I thought so we fitted a new section, re-routed to give room for an underbody tool box or water tank.

Next thing is to do another quick oil change and keep the little girl working. Should be off to have the dump body blasted and painted in a couple of weeks...if I can afford to have it off the road for about 4 days. In the mean time I'll have to wire up the trailer brake system and get the Air-Con sorted...as well as the UHF radio...mobile phone handsfree...12 volt cold box for the tinnies:cool:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Pulled the water trap/fuel sedimentor out today and cleaned out some grunge. Blew back through the fuel lines and drained the tank...everything seems cool. The exhaust brake now works excellent. Fixed the rear license plate light today as my nephew is going for his LR (Light Rigid) drivers license on thursday in the little girl. Oh..and the signwriter came and did some work...if I can find my camera we will be fine.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Just a few pic's of the "Shingleback"

Ist one is the inside of the fuel sedimentor.

2nd one is of the new solenoid for the exhaust brake fitted up

Attachments

• Strainer 102.jpg
    Strainer 102.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Solenoid 103.jpg
    Solenoid 103.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 286

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Ok..next couple (are we bored yet :D) are the new tail pipe fitted up to come out in front of the wheels instead of blow dust everywhere when your backing up

and the other is of the cab...not much to see other than my overflowing wallet in the door. It has an overhead shelf which is handy.

Attachments

• Exhaust 104.jpg
    Exhaust 104.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 288
  • Cab 105.jpg
    Cab 105.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 292

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The next two are just of the truck and the cute little 4 pot...simple as can be and easy to work on.....Hmmmm...I can almost see the maximun fuel screw on that fuel pump...Hmm:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Shingleback 106.jpg
    Shingleback 106.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Donk 107.jpg
    Donk 107.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 287

Wulf

The next two are just of the truck and the cute little 4 pot...simple as can be and easy to work on.....Hmmmm...I can almost see the maximun fuel screw on that fuel pump...Hmm:rolleyes:

Wow... just look how easy that engine is to work on guys! :notworthy

That will be really convenient if the 'good flogging' goes awry :)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Not a spec of rust on that truck I'am jealous :spaz

Looks good ready to make you some big money :yup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Good job on the truck Squizzy. :thumbsup

I like how the driver can just sit there while the passenger does all the driving. :bouncegri Here in the States, the driver does the driving. :wink2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'll be the lone dissenting voice--I don't like the hoist. And that opinion stems from personal experience, having owned one like it... :spaz

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I like how the driver can just sit there while the passenger does all the driving. :bouncegri Here in the States, the driver does the driving. :wink2

Well down here the boss sits and duly corrects the driver and generally offers advice on driving and other worldly things... (I used to drive but since I've been on this forum hangin crap on truck drivers left right and centre I don't think it would be appropriate:rolleyes: :bouncegri )

Truckie

Hey Squizzythat steering wheel is on the wrong side of the truck. :dizzy

Man that got to be weird, shifting with your left hand.:spongebob
Nice truck.:thumbsup