• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Tommy

Occupation
Business Owner
All you have to do is get your track pulled off to the side and don't take it completely off unless you have the gator clip link. If you do have the link put it around your front idler and unbolt it keeping tracks close by---by blocking or chaining. Pull your idler out and rebuild it. Contact me if you need anything else. Good luck.

Darinray, thanks for the reply. Can you please give me some more details on what you mean when you say, "pull the track off to the side". Do you mean you can get it out of the way for removing the idler without unbolting the track?

Also, what's a gator clip link? How would I identify it. Yeah, ok i'm an ignoramus, but hopefully not too old to learn. Thanks!

david m j

I have a question for Darin, I was checking my fluid levels in my clutch and it was barely touching the dipstick. I ran it for about a hour without adding any oil, the next day I was going to add some oil and it was overfull. What is the proper way to check it?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Keep us posted Tommy how you make out and thanks for contacting me via email. :)

David m j- check your levels before starting on level ground and double dip the dipstick... if you dont' think about doing that before pulling it all the way out you may notice there is a low level... put it back in and pull it out again and it MAY be normal.. Good luck.

david m j

Is there anyway for the hydraulic oil to get into the clutch? I have checked it both times before I started the machine. And now It's way overfull, thanks for your help.

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
I need an ignition switch will a komastu forklift switch work? they look identical and both have same key and 6 post terminal?? D21P-6

Tommy

Occupation
Business Owner
All you have to do is get your track pulled off to the side and don't take it completely off unless you have the gator clip link. If you do have the link put it around your front idler and unbolt it keeping tracks close by---by blocking or chaining. Pull your idler out and rebuild it. Contact me if you need anything else. Good luck.
Doesn't appear that I have a gator clip link unless I'm looking for the wrong thing. If I don't, how do i get the track apart?

jld

water in oil pan on d21a-3?

:beatsme::I have a D21a (sn 30708) with engine model 4d92-1. Does any one know the head bolt torque values and sequence for the head. Local komatsu dealer's books dont show any thing so they are trying to get the info from Japan. I had gotten water in the oil pan ( still dont know where it came from). I pressure tested the head and block and nothing showed any leakage. So new head gasket and cross all my fingers and toes. Thanks Jerry

northcreek

This site is great

This site is the best for info on equipment. You guys and gals just helped me fix my D20P that would not start. Some much good info here, Thanks

cblank

On my d21p-6, if I don't use it for several days, the left steering clutch sticks togather. What causes this and is a start of a big problem? Thanks

sick&tired

I asked this question in the track loaders section and nobody seemed to know.
Maybe you guys can help.
I have a 85 komatsu D31. What are the 3 dipsticks under the seat for, and what type of oil do they take?
I read this entire thread and found something close, but that model discussed, only had 2 dipsticks there and must have been older/newer.
Also, the inching pedal. Is this the same as a clutch? Should i be using it to engage and disengage transmission upon takeoff and shifting? It is a powershift unit. Im not sure if its not working correctly, or im using it wrong. I just picked this machine up a few weeks back and havent run it much yet due to low fluid levels in those diptubes and bad weather.
Any help would be apreciated.

cblank

Maybe you guys can help.
I have a 85 komatsu D31. What are the 3 dipsticks under the seat for, and what type of oil do they take?
I read this entire thread and found something close, but that model discussed, only had 2 dipsticks there and must have been older/newer.
Also, the inching pedal. Is this the same as a clutch? Should i be using it to engage and disengage transmission upon takeoff and shifting? It is a powershift unit. Im not sure if its not working correctly, or im using it wrong. I just picked this machine up a few weeks back and havent run it much yet due to low fluid levels in those diptubes and bad weather.
To sick&tired, I cant tell you about the dipsticks and oil on that model, but my dozer has an inching pedal and what it does is decrease the fluid pressure gradually, like on a hydrostatic garden tractor. the further you push it, the slower the loader will go. Very usfull when working up close to a house,ect. If you have the engine running at a working rpm, you should use it for putting in forward or reverse. The only time I don't use mine for shifting is if I'm running at low rpm.

Glen2

Occupation
retired
I know this is not the right place for this question, but you guys are so knowledgeable I thought someone might help. What is a sprag clutch? G

david m j

I have a d20-6 and I was wondering if there was some sort of breather in the clutch case? After running the dozed for awhile and I shut down the engine and pull out the dipstick oil runs up out of the tube. Thanks inadvance.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
I have a komatsu d21p-6 Can anyone tell me what type and weight oil is used in the track rollers? Thanks

If your bottom rollers are dry inside or they are showing that they are leaking....even heavy oil will leak out so your better off pumping some grease in them until they stop squeeling. Just hold the end of the pump to the whole where teh plug is and fill it up.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
On my d21p-6, if I don't use it for several days, the left steering clutch sticks togather. What causes this and is a start of a big problem? Thanks

The clutches are rusted or stuck together and can work like this for some time but clutches and steel disc are in need. Contact me again if you need anything.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Maybe you guys can help.

sitting in the seat the far right dipstick is your bevel gear- 30W engine oil
middle one is tranny- 30W engine oil
far left is your steering clutches- 30W engine oil.

Hope this helps.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
I have a d20-6 and I was wondering if there was some sort of breather in the clutch case? After running the dozed for awhile and I shut down the engine and pull out the dipstick oil runs up out of the tube. Thanks inadvance.

Yeah there is a breather on top of the housing... How is your level before running?