• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Martin Mars Water Bomber Tribute

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I'm not sure Jim B. was a Foreman in several BCFP Mainland Camp's , I have over 600 of Jim's slide's with nothing written on them . Some of the pictures I have figured out were taken at Narrows Inlet , as I went there as a relief operator in 1977 for a shift and recognize the camp . These pictures could have been taken at Narrows Inlet but I'm not positive .

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
I'm not sure Jim B. was a Foreman in several BCFP Mainland Camp's , I have over 600 of Jim's slide's with nothing written on them . Some of the pictures I have figured out were taken at Narrows Inlet , as I went there as a relief operator in 1977 for a shift and recognize the camp . These pictures could have been taken at Narrows Inlet but I'm not positive .
Thanks, nice pictures. keep

Born2clearcut

Yes these look to be Narrows Inlet

camptramp

Occupation
It's been a while. Welcome back. d.d.
Thanks d.d. Back a few years when our divison was relocating or changing ownership , Pete grab these slides before they were thrown away . There are a couple hundred slides , some pictures and a folder of negatives . Could be interesting .

skyking1

That's Hawaii Mars, it is now up for sale as they no longer use it.
5 million

They say the Mars will load water out of 113 lakes in BC, and the little planes can work 1700 lakes.

camptramp

Occupation
That's Hawaii Mars, it is now up for sale as they no longer use it.
5 million

They say the Mars will load water out of 113 lakes in BC, and the little planes can work 1700 lakes.
The two remaining Martian Mars are "Moth Balled" and will probably never be used again . Its a shame that they are considered obsolete , when we were fighting a fire and the Mars arrived it was like the Cavalry arriving .

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Isn't there some bureaucratic BS going on with them. My understanding is Kermit Weeks wanted Hawaii Mars but the Canadian grubermint wouldn't allow the sale because of there historical value so Coulson's said you buy it which they didn't. I haven't followed any progress since then.

camptramp

Occupation
B.C. forest Products , MacMillan & Bloedel , Pacific Logging and the Tahsis Co. formed Forest Industries Flying Tankers (FIFT) in the early 1960's . Purchased the Martin Mars cargo planes and made water bombers out of them . When FIFT was funded by those companies , they were stationed at Sproat Lake and available for fire fighting on Vancouver Island and the B.C. West Coast . There are several lakes on Vancouver Island and the ocean surrounding it to pick up water from . When the Forest holdings were taken over by major Corporations they were deemed an unnecessary expense and sold off . The powers that be in our government say they are to expensive to operate and they are limited to where the Martin Mars can operate . I have to wonder how much cost and expense would have been save if the Martin Mars had made a couple of drops on the Cameron Lake fire or if it had been sent to West Kelowna to save homes in the fire by Lake Okannogan . The Martin Mars is a tool for fighting fires . It saddens me to have seen what it is capable of in the right situation , and now see it parked when it could have been utilized this Summer . There is talk that it may be put in an Aviation Museum near Victoria B.C. , if they do there should be a statue of the men that created it along side it . Perhaps those who deemed it unusable should spend some time on the fire line with a fire axe and shovel .

Attachments

• scan701.jpg
    scan701.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • scan707.jpg
    scan707.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • scan708.jpg
    scan708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • scan711.jpg
    scan711.jpg