• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Martin Mars Water Bomber Tribute

Trainman

I read through the thread quickly and can offer some other insights. When I was working for Pacific Logging (one of the 3 owners of Forest Industries Flying Tankers [FIFT] along with MB and BCFP) I was trained and qualified to call the Mars when I was on fire duty, mostly for the Rivers Inlet operations. We also got to use any of the FIFT assets, like the Grumman Goose that was the bird dog and the helicopters, as long as it was not fire season. I have lots of seat time in the Goose.

I asked one of the pilots why a Goose as a bird dog, and this is what I was told: the pilots rotated between the two Mars and the Goose and they found that the Goose had very similar flying characteristics to the Mars. So if the Goose had trouble accessing a fire, then they knew there was not much hope for the Mars. They had issues with government bird dogs that typically were much smaller and more maneuverable so they ended up guiding the Mars into situations that required the Mars to bail out before getting to the fire. Also, the pilots of the other bird dogs did not know the capabilities of the Mars as they did not work with them on a regular basis.

There is a Mars engine at the British Columbia Aviation Museum in Sidney in case anyone wants to see one; it is a Wright “Cyclone 18” R-3350-24WA:

Engine-Wright-R3350-690x460.jpg

http://www.bcam.net/engines/ about 3/4's of the way down the page.

TimeLapse

Nice Video, If you click on the second last button ,then paste youtube link will show picture of your video, put mouse over it ,will say insert video, click that then paste the url

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
[video=youtube;eRYZcOTBsjY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYZcOTBsjY&feature=em-upload_owner[/video] Thanks Timelapse

TimeLapse

Flying over Duncan July 14, 2016 [video=youtube;AAC0CSjIqlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAC0CSjIqlI[/video]

dirty4fun

I sure enjoy watching the videos of the Martin Mars water bomber. pretty amazing what they built back then and still able to do more than most everything now. Got to give the designers and builders a lot of credit, on a job very well done!

dunwurken

I think but am trying to verify that the Hawaii Mars is doing a final tour tomorrow. Thursday.
Their flight schedule was posted on the Martin Mars Facebook page 4 hours ago subject to changes so it might be advisable to check in the morning
Here is a tentative flight schedule for tomorrow. Tofino/Ucluelet are weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.

Off Buoy at 9:30
Airborne 10:00
Ucluelet/Tofino,10:20 - 10:30
Gold River 10:40
Upper Campbell Lake: Scoop 10:45
Campbell River 11:00
Powell Lake: Scoop 11:15
Powell River 11:25
Courtenay 11:35
Union Bay/Fanny Bay/Bowser 11:40 - 11:45
Port Alberni 12:00

Anyone have further info ?

HDX

Hawaii Mars had accident down at the Oshkosh show. Had scooped up a load of water, Engine warning light started flashing and they put her down in Lake Winnabago--unfortunately the lake was too shallow and she hit the bottom and got holed. Divers working on her. Going to patch her up and send her back to Alberni to be fixed properly. The guys that keep them flying are THE BEST! So lets wait and see how she turns out.

dirty4fun

I knew the Hawaii Mars was going to the show hadn't heard that she ran to ground. Guess you could say she hit some hard water! Hope she is back at the port and repaired soon. Wonder if I stowed away I could catch a ride to Port Alberni!

This morning I heard an airplane while at my shop. The very distinctive sound of radial motors, it was an old bomber. To high to tell what it was, but sure enjoyed the sounds that it was making.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Well....sad to here about that but I suspect they will fix her up well...On the bright side she is used to swallowing water...