• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK210 Pump Problem

PRDiesel

Well I got the undercarriage squared away for now but another problem has risen. While working the other day, the machine seemed like it was lugging, throwing black smoke and didn't have the power that it normally does. I figured it was a fuel filter so I changed it, drained in water in the seperator, and cleaned the filter in the banjo fitting on the fuel pump. Long story short, this changed nothing.

I kept working for about 10 min after the fuel filter change until a error code popped up on the screen saying "Pump P2 Propo Valve" with the letters "PSV" in a box next to it and a small "E2" on top of the box. When this code popped up the left track immediatly started acting up (it would only turn very slowly in either direction). The right track was still fine.

After a few min. the left track started working again, and the code went away. Shortly thereafter the code came back on but the left track was working fine. All the while, hydraulic performance seemed down and the machine was blowing black smoke.

The machine is now sitting b/c I dont want to screw anything up. I also cleaned the pilot filter to no effect.

Now that yall are thoroughly confused... what do you think???

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think this machine has a Kawasaki pump which is controlled by one solenoid for each section. Anyway it sounds like a wiring issue or problem coil in the solenoid.

There should be a wire connecting to each solenoid on the pump. Make sure it is making good contact. If it is follow the wiring harness through the machine looking for worn spots or oil soakings.

There is probably a specification for resistance through the coil or a milliamp reading range. I don't have that info so maybe someone else could supply it.

Good Luck!

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
kobelco pump

that machine has two solenoids one for each half of the main pump check the one on the second half of the pump kobelco numbers them from the engine out the solenoids do go bad we have changed a few of them but we have several thousand machine out

PRDiesel

Would this solenoid cause the machine to seem like its running under a high load even when it isnt? what about a picture of the solenoid. I think I know where the solenoid is but am not totally sure.

PRDiesel

Checked the wiring... all seemed ok. Removed the solenoid... the plunger seemed like it would not move all the way out when i would plug it into the harness with the key on. Does this mean the solenoid is bad?

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
solenoid

The solenoids are porportional and get there signal from the cpu so they move different amounts to keep the pump stroked and not lug the engine down you could try switching them and see if the problem changes sides it could need the software reloaded in the computer or just reset.

PRDiesel

What Now??

I swapped the two solenoids (pump 1 & 2) but the error readout still said there was a problem with pump # 2. So I guess replacing the solenoid thats acting up a new one won't solve the problem:confused:

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
pump problem

No it won't you either have trouble in the wireing or with the controller need to have someone with a lap top and software plug into it and check to see what is going wrong

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
your machine does not require a laptop to access and troubleshoot.
the servicemans diagnostic check screens are already made available in the cab display monitor.
provide the ser# yq09-u or yq08-u or yq07-u?
i can help isolate your problem.
once i know ser# i can picture your cab.
then i can explain which buttons you press to access.
on the sk210 if you simply unplug the harness psv-1 or psv-2 the hyd pump will load up to 2,000 psi+
the fault code is telliong you the computer has sensed a problem.
after 5-10 seconds after it sees by scanning the circuits the fault code pops up.
if you switched the psv-1 & psv-2 wires only and the fault code remains saying pump 2
then the wiring is broken connection or grounding out enough to the frame of the machine to cause issue.
look in the pump compartment at the harness as it goes over the frame under the bell hsng. it likes to rub into wires there.
check bare spots and if wire is good electrical tape and protect.
this should be fixed asap.
if not you will burn out your hyd pump!

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
by the way left track is controlled by pump 2.
the fault code you are getting is in direct relation to the mistracking of the machine.
when i get you into the display i can make other checks to better your machine.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
did you swap the solenoids or just simply the wiring to the solenoids?
the solenoids are the same.
if you swapped the proportional solenoids and the code stayed e2 then the solenoid is okay.
if solenoid was bad the code should have changed to e1.
note all wiring connections have what i call a pigeon tag remove paint and tag etched with letters that correspond with the electrical wiring diagram.
pump 1 is closest to the engine, pump 2 is nearest you. small pump is for your pilot controls (p3).
keep me posted.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
diagonstic

Yes there are checks you can do with the monitor but there also have been a lot of issues with the software programing on some of those machines and there is nothing you can do with that sometimes all it takes if a reprogram of the cpu. and maybe a upgrade to the newest software version and that will also make the machine preform better also

PRDiesel

Mr. Kobelco,

I switched the actual solenoids and the fault code stayed the same. I was afraid switching the wiring could screw something up worse than it already is. I will get the serial number for you asap as the machine is down until I get this fixed. Thanks.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
pump problem

YQo7U is one of the early sn for the Dynamic Acera machines

PRDiesel

Alright, the serial number is YQ07-U0506

I started looking for a problem with the wiring today and didnt get too far. It seems like following the wire from pump to controller could be quite a job.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hey, you should pay very close attention to the wiring where it travels over the frame from the pump comp and between the engine.
i have had a few of your generation machine shafe into the frame causing just enough short changing the current/feedback to the computer.
check that section of harness 1st.
also, when in the cab, turn the key on, do not start the machine, press the buzzer stop button 10X. list all your error codes on the first page recorded by machine hours.
press the buzzer stop button again list and again etc...you will know when all has been displayed for they will start over at the last recorded error.
send me an e-mail of your list
ps/ buzzer stop button is the yellow button just below your mode change button on the r/h console. an arrow with an "X" crossed thru it.
hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com
then,
turn off the key,
then press the buzzer stop button and hold, whilst holding down turn the key on do not start...this is your maintenance screens...no laptop necessary for right now....on the bottom of page 1 record vers # .##?
then, still with the key off, press the blue screen change display button should bring you to page 2, then again, and again, when you get to the pressure sensors, check to ensure they are reading 0.4~0.5V & 0 (zero)k.
1 k = 14.223 psi
theory = key on, engine not running, no pump flow = zero pressure
if your sensors, especially the nega-con or c-1/c-2 sensors read higher than zero chances are they have failed and require replacement.
they are not cheap but definitely need to be switched out.
hp sensors are on pump outlets tagged se-22 & se-23
nega-con are se-27 & se-28.
pump 1 and 2 respectively.
keep pressing blue display button and watch for e-1 pump propovalve scrn# 25?
and compare readings with the next screen for pump 2 (e2).
they are supposed to be identical if not suspect wiring as i mentioned earlier.
all checks are at your fingers and i will aid.
by the way, if you start the engine when you're on scrn 14 -> c-1/c-2 hp sensors the readings in neutral not moving anythins should be also identical.
if you unplug the one propo valve the hyd pump strokes up and you'll be around 2000 psi.
2000 divided by 14.223 = # k
bring a calculator.
e-mail findings or call me when you are in the cab.
905-888-9070
have me paged.
by the way version 1 .10 ( version 11.00 )
i find is best if the machine is properly setup and adjusted.
99% of all our 210 of this model have 11.00.
approx. 24 or so.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
i ran into the same thing this week on a sk250.
the wiring harnees exiting the pump compartment over the cross frame clipped unto a bolt of the bell housing shafed into the metal grounding out.
taped up wire, re-loomed and tied up with rubber pad untop the frame and around the edges. machine fine now.