• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK210 Pump Problem

PRDiesel

Thanks for the part number again. The high pressure sensor finally came in and I just put it in. Everything looks good in the maintenance screens and the machines tracking well.

One problem remains: The machine is still luggging and throwing black smoke when a lever or pedal is at full extent. It rolls coal like crazy while tracking and again... while any one control is fully pushed (even worse when two levers are pushed at once).

Changed the air and fuel filters, cleaned the screen under banjo bolt, and now im at a loss. Theres one more thing to help diagnose the problem: All symptoms go away when the machine is in heavy lift mode. I suppose I could always run in heavy lift mode but I am not sure of any bad effects this would have.

Any thoughts?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All symptoms go away when the machine is in heavy lift mode. I suppose I could always run in heavy lift mode but I am not sure of any bad effects this would have.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, sounds like it's overstroking the pump in speed mode. Something's telling the pump to deliver more oil than is demanded. Dirthog and MrKobelco are going to have to noodle this one out, I'm curious as to what's causing it.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
that is what i am thinking.
with that generation kawasaki pump the end plate on each pump regulator block bolted to the side of each pump, one facing to you on the p2 regulator and the other reversed facing in towards the muffler/engine each contain 3 o-rings that should be changed.
approx. $ 7.00 per set.
when one of the two o-rings get hard the hyd oil leaks by and turns up the pump swashing delivering more than normal oil flow.
when the hyd are loaded over relief the engine will smoke and load dropping the engine rpm down.
the end plate has a screw and lock nut and just above it on the same plate is the one i am explaining which has a stepped affair of nuts large stepped to peak with one tiny square adjustment screw held by a 13mm nut.
you can check if o-ring is bad by marking the orientation of the nut and then crack loose,
allow the screw to turn with the nut, by hand you can remove it.
inside the chamber should be dry (no oil)
if oil leaks out you need these o-rings (ONE SET);
1 - ZD12P01600
1 - ZD12P01800
1 - ZD12G03500
TIMES 2 for other regulator.
if you reseal one you also do other...best practice.
if oil leaks out i need to inform you of some other info before you attempt this.
i have had many owner/operators do themselves after explaining with no problem.

**** also, likely could be that your air intake hose to the turbo has become soft.
when under hyd load the air flow is enough that the air intake hose can suck in closing off causing thick black smoke...check this first have someone operate while you wacth the hose react.

Adam.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
by the way, you will not want to run in heavylift mode for the computer is destroking both your pumps as well as raising the main relief pressure from 5050 psi up to 5650 psi.
heavy lift via the toggle button is to be used for what it means lifting of heavy loads and helping hold in the air. like a heavy man hole or large sewer pipe.
the right hand joystick is your power boost used for momentary boosting of the hyd prs but cuts the pumps more - used for bucket digging added breakout forces.
used momentarily not long term hence the push button.
in the dynamic acera models tier 1 (-6) and newer models these two button/switch are now seperate inputs into the computer.
in older kobelcos they were teed together.
all purposes are for short term use...not meant to run always.

PRDiesel

I will check it out today and see what up... Im not totally sure of where you are explaining but maybe it will clear up when i get in front of the machine. Thanks

PRDiesel

I found the stepped nuts but when I removed the 13mm one, I couldnt get the square adjustment screw to turn at all not even with vice grips. I put it back together because I was tearing up the square end.

Also, reaching the one facing me was easy but getting to the other one facing the motor seems almost impossible. Even if I can get the square adjuster to move how will I see into it to look for leaks??

Bill45

Hi, My name is Bill. I hope someone could help.
Kobelco SK 210 LC Sn# YQ07-U0937
It started with travel alarm not working. Now the problem is No throttle control with dial and it’s at full throttle. Here is what I did in order.
No travel alarm when moving tracks
Check fuses -- All good
Un-plug alarm from wire harness
Check alarm with power probe ( test light with a power switch )
Powered up alarm and it works ( plug alarm back in )
Remove cover from under cab look at foot controllers ( wires look good )
Un-plug RT sensor check for power ( can hear relay clicking )
Remove cover behind seat ( under electronic box maybe it’s the cpu ,found relay for alarm)
Remove relay (bench test it, It works ,reinstall it, )
Start machine Engine is at full throttle ( turn key to off /engine shut down )
Turn key on and notice LCD screen flashing RT TRAVEL SENSOR UN-PLUG ( B-9 top left corner )
Turn key to off
Reconnect wire to sensor , Turn key to on ( LCD screen read OK )
Start machine Engine runs like there is a huge load on it Black smoke from exhaust pipe
Shut engine down Un-plug Rt sensor from foot controller.
Start machine It’s at full throttle No Black smoke
Disconnect electric throttle control rod from injection pump and connected the manual throttle cable
THE FUNNY THING IS, THE TRAVEL ALARM IS NOW WORKING WITH THE LT FOOT
CONTROLLER AND WITH THE RT ONE IF PLUGED IN
Rt sensor pluged in still puts load on the engine ( like hydraulic pump kicking in but travel valve is not open ) I’m guessing.
Please help ! Uncle Tony wants to kill me
Thanks Bill

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Bill45. :usa

Make a few more posts and you'll be a junior member and have access to forum features. dirthog or MR. KOBELCO should be able to help you out, you can send them a message when your a junior member. I haven't seen MR. K around here for a while, but I saw dirthog here today.

jonboy

Occupation
drainage and general contractor
kobelco sk120

i have a 1985 kobelco sk12 mark v i have done a service on it and i want to know how you reset the lcd display which tells you how many hours since last service not a big problem but since we have some people with good knowledge on kobelco excavators i thought i would ask:confused:

jonboy

Occupation
kobelco sk120v lcd display

does anyone know how to reset the hrs after last eng oil change on the lcd display on a 1985 kobelco sk120 markv not a major problem just help full way of keeping on top of maintenance:cool2

Bill45

Thanks ATCOEQUIP
I'm glad i found this site. I just hope Mr Kobelco or Dirthog could help me. Maybe send me in the right direction.

Bill45

SK-210-LC
Well My time is up. Uncle Tony is picking up machine and dropping it off at the Kobelco dealer. Don't know what it's going to cost me. Still like to have a answer to my question.
Thanks, Bill

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi,
sorry got real busy.
prdiesel, feel free to call me at work.
905-888-9070.
call from your cell when you are at your machine.
i helped a mechanic in ohio just yesterday this way and found his problem with the machine. he had two bad sensors.
i am sure with a little of your patience i can do the same for you.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
bill45.
call me as well when you are at the machine.
your problem seems weird to much to go over.
easier having you in the cab seat accessing the display.
you will be my eyes.
sounds like you have a sensor acting up or a common problem with the auxiliary hyd sensors wiring. i found that even though there is no sensor and/or no aux hyd plumbing an induced voltage tricks the computer into thinking there is plumbing and turns the e/g throttle up and strokes on the pumps. this could be one of your problems.
easily seen in the display screens and if you have elkectrical wire side cutters or better yet as not to butcher, an o-ring pick thin and pointy and electrical tap[e these wires for the sensors can be pulled fromn the connector at the computer and taped for use later if needed down the road. bring a philips screw driver to remove access cover behind the seat.
Adam.
ph: 905-888-9070
home: 905-697-9626

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
jonboy,
if the code 23 - oil supply is displaying and beeping
simply hold the buzzer stop switch one of two (without the clock symbol opposite )
for 5 seconds. the oil clock will reset to zero.
after 500 hours it will alarm once again

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
jonboy,
turn key on, do not start,
if code 23 oil supply should display,
if holding for 5 secs does not do it press buzzer stop sw 5 times.
buzzer stop is an arrow with a " X " thru the arrow.
this will rid code and clock is rest back to zero.

the way the maintenace clock works is that it starts at zero and counts up to 500 hours to alarm. if you want to fool computer that say 250 hours has gone by,...
put mode select switch into " D " mode and press buzzer stop button down then turn key on while holding depressed once screen comes up the adjust can be done for the clock.
may be d mode, key on then press buzzer stop for 5 secs (or 5 times )

press button again and hold your finger will get sore, once you let go the hours when you let go are locked in. you cannot count up or down.
if you do not get what you want you have to start all over again.
the new machines are way easier.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
bill45,
simpler thinking,
one i do not advise using a test light.
a digital multitester is preferred as not to ruin computer.
lift the rubber boots off the travel pedals and check for dirt build up keeping pedal shifted or if the chrome poppet under each side of the pedal presses down then springs back up. the little spool under the poppet maybe sticking. if so take pedal apart and clean out foreign material.
the e/g throttle going up to high idle can still be caused by a few things.
do call me.
by the way by removing the throttle linkage you will need an " A " adjustment done to reprogram the steps of the governor to the computer. tricky but i can supply procedure.
read and dot your " i's " and cross your " t's " before attempting.
whatever you do never yank on the stepper motor with the key powered on you will burn out the computer.

jonboy

Occupation
jonboy,
turn key on, do not start,
if code 23 oil supply should display,
if holding for 5 secs does not do it press buzzer stop sw 5 times.
buzzer stop is an arrow with a " X " thru the arrow.
this will rid code and clock is rest back to zero.

the way the maintenace clock works is that it starts at zero and counts up to 500 hours to alarm. if you want to fool computer that say 250 hours has gone by,...
put mode select switch into " D " mode and press buzzer stop button down then turn key on while holding depressed once screen comes up the adjust can be done for the clock.
may be d mode, key on then press buzzer stop for 5 secs (or 5 times )

press button again and hold your finger will get sore, once you let go the hours when you let go are locked in. you cannot count up or down.
if you do not get what you want you have to start all over again.
the new machines are way easier.

Hi Mr Kobelco
Thanks for your advice. the buzzer is not sounding and no code is showing i have tried everything you said and all i get is accross the top of the screen is the hrs then below that is a letter then a number followed by things like bucket, swing ,pump1 pump 2 etc as i scroll thru with the clock buttons i think i neglected to say is it is the itcs control on this machine any other things i can try :(

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
jonboy
sorry i just spotted you have a mark v (five) ?
does it have a helicopter cab?
if you do have a mark five please e-mail me complete model and serial number as well as digital pictures of the buttons/switches in the cab and of your display.
once i see them i can direct you better.
e-mail: hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com