• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis 14C transmission oil pressure regulator

Animal

Greg, sorry I'm a bit slow getting back to you, I've away from the computer. The cap I got was an off the shelf one with 10psi rating, the one that came with the machine when I got it was utterly stufted so was throwen away. I have ordered an origenal that should be here in the next day or two so should be able to tell you what the pressure rating is then and if it's got a return valve on it. I asked the agent if he could tell me the rating but said there was nothing written in the parts book. The one I've got is at 10psi and is just not quite strong enough as it will blow off a little bit when you work it hard. When I got that cap I took a guess at the pressure rating so it doesn't suprise me that it's wrong. I would say that around the 12 to 13 mark wouldn't be far away. Thinking about the catch tanks, we use to make them out of alloy for the rally cars so we could fit them into tight spaces out of the way, the avantage of using alloy was it's a bit stronger than plastic and transfers heat away, but in a dozer application you could use stainless as you don't need to worry about weight and it's a bit easier to work with. We use to put a pipe on the bottom for the suction hose so it wouldn't move and a push-on cap for the top that allowed it to breath. Regards Nelson.

Queenslander

Well, Ive had the new oil coolers on for awhile now, but havn't had a chance to give the tractor a lot of work.
But things are looking up, It's pretty hard to get the trans. temp. much past half way on the guage now.
Engine temp. will still get a little high when worked hard enough.
The flexible shroud between the rad. and cowling is pretty ordinary, pieces torn off,so it may be recirculating some warm air through the radiator.
Other benifits are a slight increase in oil pressure and less oil consumption,maybe due to cooler engine oil temp.
All in all, a much more usable machine.
Cheers, Greg

Animal

Well, Ive had the new oil coolers on for awhile now, but havn't had a chance to give the tractor a lot of work.
But things are looking up, It's pretty hard to get the trans. temp. much past half way on the guage now.
Engine temp. will still get a little high when worked hard enough.
The flexible shroud between the rad. and cowling is pretty ordinary, pieces torn off,so it may be recirculating some warm air through the radiator.
Other benifits are a slight increase in oil pressure and less oil consumption,maybe due to cooler engine oil temp.
All in all, a much more usable machine.
Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg, It sounds like you've sorted the problem, which is great. I would say the shroud is the remaining problem. I've had exprience where people have removed shrouds thinking they'll "improve the air flow" only to find matters worst.
I've had a dead computer for the last three weeks, so sorry for the late reply. Nelson.

Ralphie

Fiat Allis 14E

Hi there, I am new to the forum so can't enter my own post. This thread is the closest I could find to my situation. I am from Melbourne Australia and I am having trouble with a Fiat Allis 14E which has a shuttle shift transmission. The dozer operates fine going forward but in reverse it keeps jumping out of gear. I have had the control valve for the gear selector on the dash apart, and replaced the o rings. I have also had the control valve on the transmission apart and all parts seem to move freely.
The transmission was rebuilt 350hours ago and the dozer has done 6000 hrs so still has life left in it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ralphie

Animal

Hi Ralphie, I'm affraid I know nothing about the 14E but I'm sure someone like Spanner or Queenslander does, so hopefully they get a notice and come to your aid. HEF helped me out so I'm sure it will you as well. Nelson.

Queenslander

Ralphie,
Like Animal, I know nothing of the 14E either, but I imagine the transmission wouldn't be to far removed from the C series.
By shuttle shift, do you mean power shift with torque convertor?
When it jumps out of gear does it throw the selector out as well?
I assume you've eliminated any problems with external linkages etc.
Does it do it in all three speeds and under differing workloads?
Sorry about all the questions, but the more infomation you can provide the better.
Cheers, Greg

Ralphie

Fiat Allis 14e

Thanks Animal and Greg for your response. Yes the transmission is power shift with torque converter but unlike the 14c it has no external linkage and is all hydraulically operated.

Yes it throws the selector lever as well when it jumps out of gear and it will do it in all ranges while the dozer is both moving and stationary.

Proir to replacing the o rings in the selector control valve it wouldn't go into reverse at all, now it will go into reverse but then jumps out.

Thanks again
Ralphie

Queenslander

Ralphie,
Sounds like a control issue rather than the transmission itself doesn't it?
Maybe a faulty detent or something.
What happens if you hold the selector in place?
Cheers, Greg

Ralphie

Fiat Allis 14e

Gday Greg
Hopefully its a control issue rather than a transmission problem.

The way the selector lever works it can't be held in place, it has to be let go of so it can click into gear. The problem is only in reverse, it is fine in forward, sometimes it will drive one meter and other times 20 meters before it jumps out, and as the dozer warms up it seems to jump out in a shorter time.

Thanks again for your time and advice
Ralphie

hd 21b

Hi, I am having difficulty putting the sleeves back into my HD 21b dozer. It has a Allis Chalmers 6138t motor and appears to be getting stuck on the last o ring(black buna n). I purchased the o rings locally from the o ring shop and am not sure if they have given me the correct one. The two red silicone rings go in no problems but when it gets to the black one it stops and therefore the sleeves dont go all the way into the block.

Thanks Ian

Ralphie

Sleeve's

G'day Ian

You could put the sleeves in the freezer for a few hours or overnight, then put some lube inside the block and on the O rings and try installing them again. Wet sleeves should slip in fairly easily so it sounds like your last O ring could be the wrong size. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
Ralphie

Queenslander

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and can't post any new threads. Does anyone know how I can post ne threads?

I have a Fiat C14 dozer that the transmission slips in first gear after it warms up (15 minutes). After about an hour it will start slipping in second gear. Reverse is good with no slippage as is 3rd gear. The dozer has a transmission pressure guage and when the slippare occurs the pressure is low in the red zone. As the dozer lurches forward when it is slipping the pressure on the guages goes up and then back down. We checked the trans fluid level and it is overfull with the engine off and still a bit overfull with the engine running. The fluid looks like 5w oil and does not smell or look burnt. Any Ideas?

Thanks
akpilot

akpilot,
First thing to do is check the control valves where the linkages from the shifter connect, could be some dirt or c..p fouling things,I've had that happen before.
Next, I would check the filters for the converter and transmission, actually washable metal screens.
The book says the correct oil is 30w for ambient temps above 32f and 10w for below.
Should be checked when warm with engine stopped.
Might pay to replace the standard pressure gauge with a good after market one to see what you've got there, should be 1500kpa from memory.
Hope this helps, Greg

Last edited:

Animal

Hi Akpilot, I hope you've managed to find this as I tried to post on the white smoke thread but it got lost. Anyway Queenslander is correct , the trans oil is a 30w mono grade so there is a possiblity that is causing the slippage but I suspect it's the clutch pack plates being worn to the point that they let the pistons over extend and the oil by-passes the seals. It's normal for the oil pressure to drop momentary as you shift from one gear to the next but it quickly gets back up to pressure. There should also be a trans oil pressure light that comes on at a lower pressure(10psi) useally on start up only. Interested to see what you find. Nelson.