• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 2-Cycles in 2017+

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
You could post your videos here on HEF. Than you would only be judged by like minded people.:rolleyes: Bahahahaha.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If I remember correctly, the 12v92 we pulled out of a boat 6-7 years ago had a single crank. The blocks were "back to back" 6v92 but it wasn't exactly two separate engines "bolted" together. It had a one piece crank.

Only worked on on "92" series and that was a V-8. Well actually two as we found a crack in the upper deck of the first engine and boss made some calls to dealer and they sold us a complete new Silver 92 to replace it for a very reasonable price.

Did not know the 12V-92's used a two piece block. The 12V-71's which we had several of used a one piece block. The 16V-71's did have the two piece block with a two piece crank. Not positive but some versions of the 16V-71's may have used a one piece crank.

I would think a better description would be saying the block were nose to nose as the gear trains on the V71's went up the back. So the 16V-71's had gear trains running up both ends of the engine and four separate camshafts!

Now it may be that if the 92's were different and they used just one pair of cams for all 12 cylinders.

alskdjfhg

I'd watch your videos. The comment section of Youtube is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

So would I. Not many good wrench turning channels on YT.

Junkyard, you can upload the video to youtube, and then change the pravacy setting from "public", like it normally is", to "private". The only way to access the video would be to have the link for it, which you could post here.

Far from perfect though

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So would I. Not many good wrench turning channels on YT.

Junkyard, you can upload the video to youtube, and then change the pravacy setting from "public", like it normally is", to "private". The only way to access the video would be to have the link for it, which you could post here.

Far from perfect though

Well....let me see what I can do. I may even ask for requests :). I was thinking about that today driving along. So much of what we do on a daily basis seems mundane. But to somebody else it's all but mind blowing. Shimming the stinger on my trailer just about sent one of our ground hands into a conniption fit! How do you know how thick, what do you do when it's empty.....on and on. Heck I just do it, I don't even have to think about it.

Then there's stuff I've never done that would have the same affect on me. Anything machine tool related would be new. Some of our drill repairs are cool, I may have to ask about filming that stuff though. Foreman can be a d$&k sometimes. Never know what might come into my shop on the side though. I've got some stuff I've been meaning to get into. Might be a good start and a way to work on my cinematic skills!

hvy 1ton

You can always upload unlisted videos on Youtube and link them in your work thread. You're right there are some really sharp guys that comment on videos, but 90% of videos reading comments is about as productive as digging for water next to the outhouse. Stephen Cox has some pretty good content as a field mechanic. I watched one of his videos and saw Archer paused on the tv in the background and subscribed b/c i figured he had to be a good dude.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Long handles and foot-brakes, now that's cool.

It's old school for sure. It'll work your a$$ off in short order. LDH was a Hughes company. Anytime it goes out I babysit, never know when it's gonna show it's a$$ haha. It did us proud for a couple days and finished the job.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Then there's stuff I've never done that would have the same affect on me. Anything machine tool related would be new.

If you have some time to kill go to YouTube and do a search for "tubalcain".
this guy is a retired shop teacher who does lots of videos he can get long winded at times but has some good stuff on machine shop work. It is mostly on small scale things but much of it could be applied to larger projects.