• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
S5001170.jpgS5001173.jpgS5001175.jpgS5001178.jpgS5001180.jpg More Pitt Lake...Moved that X BCFP 7280 to Port Renfrew. I operated it for about 1 year for Teal and Northview

callingtheshop

View attachment 154325View attachment 154326View attachment 154327View attachment 154328 I have posted a few of these on the logging camp and barges thread thought they would be better here.
Great Photos, thank you. The photo under the old chainsaw shows a large building, what was it? I left there the spring of 1967 and was never there again and cannot remember that building. The Pelton wheel: what a neat set up and it usually worked really well, was it operational when you were there? The blue power house: I think it had a Cummins but maybe it was a Cat?? Can't remember. Anything in it in 2010?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
S5001169.jpgS5001172 - Copy (2).jpg calling the shop I believe it was a rec hall at one time, the pelton was running strong when I was there. It produced about half the power to run the camp when full house, not sure what kind of gen set they were running. Penstock ran up the mountain something like 2000 ft it is wood with wire wrapping There is a lot of history in that valley from gold to logs and home steads. I got a bit of a helli tour up there but no camera...

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 1964  1.1.jpgPitt Lake 1964  2.1.jpgPitt Lake 1964  3.1.jpgPitt Lake 1964  4.1.jpgPitt Lake Division 1964. BCFP #775 VIEW Sparmatic repairs. At that time it had a Tyee winch and later on had a Skagit installed. The men were Mac Bowland (back to camera) and Grapple Bill.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
callingtheshop do you recall if the #775 Sparmatic had a "SkylineDrum" and was capable of "Slacklining" , did Pitt Lake have more than one Sparmatic ? Also was the Log Loader a Northwest 80D #74 ?

callingtheshop

callingtheshop do you recall if the #775 Sparmatic had a "SkylineDrum" and was capable of "Slacklining" , did Pitt Lake have more than one Sparmatic ? Also was the Log Loader a Northwest 80D #74 ?
camptramp, I sure had to think a bit...the 775 went away on a barge around 1966 -1967 to the BCFP repair shop in the Vancouver area. Was it on Annacis Island or? I never did visit it but I think that's where Jerry Anderson and Kieth Ware worked out of. I think it had a Tyee winch before it went away?? It came back with a brand new winch and power unit. Yes, it was a slackline but while I was at PL it was only used for highlead. It used to have a Cummins engine and came back with a new 12V-71 DD and I think it was a Twin-Disc powershift transmission. The winch was a regen set up and in it's early days had an issue with the frictions and the friction V-flanges. They were vented and one kept cracking until a solid non-vented flange was installed, The friction blocks were some kind of stacked materials that separated quickly. I think a solid wood friction block ended up in it. I can't remember anything about the loader you mentioned.
There were two Washington loaders eventually, a tong loader on tracks, would that be a TL-15? And a new grapple loader on a 4 axle undercarriage, was that a TL-6? During one year an old Northwest Model 5? showed up. It was really worn out and broke down continuously but the operator was rough tough guy and kept yelling for repairs. I think his name was Ernie Deroche from Deroche. I ended up on the old Southbend lathe making bolts for that old shovel most of one summer. There was another Northwest and maybe that was the on you mentioned. There's a picture of one that the gantry had failed on. I'll did out the photos a look at them for a number.
I hope this helps a bit. Did the 775 stay in the company?

camptramp

Occupation
callingtheshop the #775 Sparmatic may have ended up at Caycuse don't know for sure . The Washington TL-15 in posting #1995 Page 133 is the #93 I think , it ended up at Renfrew Div. in late 1970's , niece loader . There's a picture of it in posting #1994 parked in Renfrew Yard . A Washington TL- 6 from Pitt Lake #318 showed up at Nekite River in Summer of 1979 , it had tandem drive axles but only a single steering axle . It ended up at Renfrew Div. in 1980 or 1981 . I'm pretty sure the Northwest behind the Sparmatic tower in posting 2045 and the Northwest 80D being worked on in posting #2000 is the #74 . It was a bit of an odd ball , it had a block purchase in the heel boom to shorten the Haulback to open the Grapple's , the Main Drum was divided in half with Mainline tailholded on right side and Haulback tailholded on left side . It was shipped to Renfrew Div. in the mid 1960's . I ran across Ernie Deroche at O'conners camp Cleo Creek , just outside Mahhatta River in 1976 , quite a character . Scan675.jpgScan676.jpgScan680.jpgScan681.jpg 1st picture , #74 at Hemmingston Cr. 1967 Renfrew Div. , 2nd picture the #74 retired at Caycuse Camp . 3rd & 4th picture's is the #93 on lowbed at Harris Cr M/L & Hemmingston M/L junction .

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am amazed at all the knowledge that you guys have Callingtheshop, Camptramp and others. I have to check in every morning before my first cup of coffee.

camptramp

Occupation

Touched base with Rob Norman this evening , the #775 View Spar was sent from Pitt Lake to Caycuse in the late 1970's . It had an IJ-90 Skagit Winch on it and was used as a Slack Line at Caycuse . Not sure what happened to it when Caycuse switched from Slack Lining to Grapple Yarding .

callingtheshop

1964 BSA Spitfire Hornet 1.1.jpg1964 BSA Spitfire Hornet 2.1.jpg1964 BSA Spitfire Hornet 3.1.jpg1964 BSA Spitfire Hornet 4.1.jpgThe good weather is here so I'm away a lot from the computer but I thought the last thing I should post to do with 1964 was of the bike I got in April /64. A British Crotch Rocket of it's day but typical British POS and got rid of it in early /65 for a Honda.

camptramp

Occupation
BCFP Renfrew Div. Brian Dickson long time Cowichan area Heavy Duty Mechanic and Master Mechanic has loaned us his logging pictures to share . Unfortunately others he had were misplaced in a move a couple of years ago . HDX Hayes #6-243 being loaded by Washington TL6 scan001.jpgscan002.jpg#309 or #311 from Madill Grapple Yarder #27-02 or #27-28

camptramp

Occupation
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. Yarder is the #27-25 Madill , Loader is #309 Washington TL-6 Track Loader , Logging scan007.jpgTruck is the #6-243 HDX Hayes

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Nice pictures Camptramp, we need a Like button on here. I've been yarding
on the Mosquito mainline about 2 km.

camptramp

Occupation
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. The #27-25 Madill Grapple Yarder having a bad day on WFI Hook/Up Road ,scan008.jpgscan009.jpg Braden Cr. end 1980 or 1981 . 2nd picture has Bill Neil's HDX Hayes and 849 Kenworth in back ground .

camptramp

Occupation
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 TL 15 Washington Track Loader at the old Renfrew Div. Industrial Site at Port Renfrew with a fresh coat of paint . This machine originally was equipped with a "Goose Neck" loading Boom in this picture it has been changed to a straight "Yarding Boom .scan234.jpgscan235.jpg

dangol2789

BCFP truck cab

Hi guys I came across this truck cab a Few years ago. Near the Harris creek camp and I finally made it back yesterday to get some pictures of it. It has #1317 on the door. Is there any pictures of it from its hay day? What brand of truck was it?