• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
In 1975 there were 6 BCFP logging Camps on the Mainland of B.C. operating as Company Logging Camps - Silver River , Pitt Lake , Narrows Inlet , Malibu , Wakeman Sound and Nekite River . There were also 12 Contractor Operated Logging Camps on the Mainland of B.C. There were 2 BCFP Company Logging Camps on Vancouver Island - Renfrew and Cowichan/Nitinat (Caycuse) . There were 5 Contractor Operated Logging Camps on Vancouver Island .
Thanks there are days when Google and me do not get along.

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 19.1.jpgPitt Lake Division 1963: I wrote on the back side of this photo,"Charlie K. killing time." Hmmm.... Actually when a driver had the time he'd wash the truck and the trucks would get washed before servicing. BCFP No. 215 Charlie told the story while waiting near the landing to get a load, engine off, a black bear climbed up on the truck and onto the hood. At that point he blew the horn. There were several scratches in the hood paint and it never got repaired.

HDX

callingtheshop, After looking at the truck pictures you posted (2018) with the loads on them it became clear why the trailers had 14:00X24 tires and the trucks had 12:00X24 tires. More weight on the trailers Makes sense with that configuration. Also the low mount mirrors and cab steps are a giveaway to the era they were built

TimeLapse

Front End Loader Crofton Vancouver Island
[video=youtube;S4p1kDP49Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4p1kDP49Qw[/video]

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Boulder Bill , I believe these are from the Al Green Collection . Caycuse Div. 1st picture is Dave Pervert , 2nd picture Harold Speck , 3rd picture Ernie Miners , 4th picture Ken Robertson .scan 315 BCFP Caycuse Div. Dave Prevert.jpgscan 316 BCFP Caycuse Div. Harold Speck.jpgscan 317 BCFP Caycues Div. Ernie Miners.jpgscan 318 BCFP Caycuse Div. Ken Robertson.jpg

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 23.1.jpgPitt Lake 24.1.jpgPitt Lake 25.1.jpgPitt Lake Division 1963. Line horse and trailer reload. Rock crusher coming to camp before it gets snowed in. There was a long steep hill just out of camp that it came down and the truck was snubbing it. The grader was steering and towing. The rock crusher was powered by a Waukesha 6 cyl. gas engine that had a pup starting engine and that was started with a pull rope. Simplicity. I tried to find something like it on the Internet early this morning and got into Buda and Hall Scott before I realized I had to get back to bed and get some sleep. Easily sidetracked. Harold Speck, I remember him, did he ever work at Pitt Lake or?

camptramp

Occupation
callingtheshop I recall a Rock Crusher that BCFP owned in that time period that was moved from BCFP operation to operation as needed . ( And remember those well maintained Mainline Haul Roads of the 1950's , 1960 and 1970's ) The name Stan Smith comes to mind as the fellow that ran it in those days , later I think Ian Brydon ran it for awhile , I think Roland Baird was the last operator of the Rock Crusher at Caycuse . I don't recall seeing it after the late 1960's . I wonder if that is the same Rock Crusher that was in Renfrew Div. for a time . Great that you have pictures of it , another memory fading away .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
camptramp,the lite just came on. As Roland Baird was my wife's uncle. I will as if there are any pictures available. His wife Margeret is still with us. I will do my best and let you know. Bp

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 26.1.jpg Photo:pitt Lake 1963 of the parking shed and on the right is the tire shop/service bay. I think most or all of BCFP had a shed for parking some equipment in. In PL it was used mainly for smaller pieces of equipment except during a winter shutdown, then the empty log trucks would park there. Camptramp, I was at PL for four years and the crusher was always there, probably too difficult to move as a big barge fee would be involved. The operator was Dave (I can't remember his last name) and he did all sorts of work in the grade department but always operated the crusher. In 1963 his age was about 60, really ancient as I was 19! He used to be a hard rock miner in his earlier work. Ring any bells on his last name? Oh yes, Don Ramsey was some sort of grade boss and Vic McKay was the foreman.

camptramp

Occupation
callingtheshop I don't recall a Dave operating the Crusher at Renfrew , I know the name Vic Mckay , but have never met him . Don Ramsey made his rounds of the different BCFP Camps retiring as Division Manager of Renfrew Div. when Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP .

Mark13

Front End Loader Crofton Vancouver Island
[video=youtube;S4p1kDP49Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4p1kDP49Qw[/video]

I've been following these various logging threads for a while now and after watching that video I just now realized how big those Wagner's really are. Here in northern, Illinois our version of logging is one guy with a chain saw and the other in a skid steer and a grapple bucket or an excavator stacking the logs up to burn while clearing for farm fields so getting to see how big some of the off highway trucks and various other equipment are is always neat.

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 27.1.jpgPitt Lake 28.1.jpgPitt Lake 1963 Back of a bunkhouse, cookhouse on the left and I think Bailey's house/post office in the background.
The bunkhouses were typical with two men to a room and a shared bathroom with the next room.
Small white building was the bullcooks shack.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
S5001149.jpgS5001150.jpgS5001152.jpgS5001153.jpgS5001154.jpg Here are a few pics from Pitt Lake 2010. It was Teal Jones when I was there but you can see the old shop and power plant from a long time ago...

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
S5001155.jpgS5001156.jpgS5001157.jpgS5001160.jpg I have posted a few of these on the logging camp and barges thread thought they would be better here.