• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div. Shovel Operator Les Newman running Drag Line dredging channel in "The Meadow's" about 1 1/2 mile's from Old Renfrew Camp . Using fill to build up road bed for new haul road when Operation was changed over from Rail Road Logging to Truck Logging early 1950's . ( No wonder that stretch of road was always so "Lumpy")scan 09.jpgscan 10.jpgscan 11.jpgscan 12.jpg .

camptramp

Occupation
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div Les Newman running Grade Shovel rigged up as Drag Line , 4th picture is Bill Elliot senior , Bill Elliott Junior , and Less Newman .scan 13.jpgscan 14.jpgscan 15.jpgscan 16.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Bill E. BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is Doug & Bob Elliott standing in front of the Dodge Gravel Truck their Father Bill Elliott Sr. drove for BCFP . 2nd picture is a pile driver working on the Trestle across the North Arm of San Juan River , that would later be known as Deerings Bridge . 3rd picture 2 Kenworth Logging trucks moving yarder at Ball Park at Harris Cr. Camp . 4th picture is the #194 Kenworth acquired when BCFP purchased Kapoor Lumbers Koksilah Holdings . #225 HDX Hayes pulling lowbed Bob Mitchell driver .scan 35.jpgscan 36.jpgscan37 Ball Park Harris Cr. 2 - 1948 KW's.jpgscan38 1957  BCFP #194 old Kapoor KW.jpgscan39  BCFP #225 Bob Mitchell driver.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Bill Elliott , BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st & 2nd pictures Ladies Day Tour at Renfrew Div. yarder #690 VIEW SPAR , loader #73 Model 6 Northwest . 3rd picture Mobile "A" Frame unloading log truck .scan 18.jpgscan 19.jpgscan 20.jpgscan 21.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture Don Wilson standing in front of #203 the first HDX Hayes at Renfrew Div. 2nd picture #6-236 one of three new HDX Hayes , Don Wilson's new ride .scan 403 1969.jpgscan 404 new 1970.jpg

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Is that a spark arrestor on the exhaust in the first picture? I'm guessing that engine was hocking out hot gobs sludge?lol

camptramp

Occupation
Is that a spark arrestor on the exhaust in the first picture? I'm guessing that engine was hocking out hot gobs sludge?lol

Most Diesel engines of that era , ran basically straight pipes , even the mufflers of the day did little to arrest sparks , so every Spring spark arresters were put over the ends of the exhaust pipes for the Fire Season .

camptramp

Occupation
Hey?lol It makes perfect sense it's just the first time I've noticed one.

I'm not totally sure , but it might have been a B.C. Forest Service regulation to put spark arresters on most exhaust pipes in those day's during Fire Season as a Fire prevention measure . The Donaldson Mufflers on the #6-236 Hayes have built in spark arresters , no screen over end of exhaust pipe required .

HDX

Yes it was Every fire season Forest service inspectors would come out and check all the equipment on ALL the machines Fire Extinguishers, Axe, Shovels, Garden hose's, Spark arresters and pi## cans. AND of course the card show above with the responsibility of all involved.The small mufflers on 236 were discontinued because they created too much back pressure. The Donaldson 9inch replaced them but the spark arresters had to be installed on them. If you were coming down a long steep hill with the retarder on your water temp would climb more than normal because of them. Soon as you turfed them into the bush all would return to normal. At the junction of BR 70/71 out in the NitNat there would be the remains of about 30 of them. That was a popular waiting to be dispatched place so things just happened there!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
You should definitely have those chromed and put them on your trucks Steve. Smokey the Bear would love you for it.lol

Thanks for posting the pictures.

camptramp

Occupation
Russell Thompson (Loyd Thompson) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Loyd Thompson standing by KW #200 at Harris Cr. Camp . 2nd picture Loyd standing by KW . 3rd picture Loyd standing by #224 HDX Hayes . 4th picture #203 HDX Hayes . 5th Picture #93 Washington TL 15 log loader new at BCFP Pitt Lake Div. sent to Renfrew Div. in late 1970's Operator Bruce Wilson . The controls were modified at Pitt Lake , was a nice machine to run use to load Bill Neil's Conventional Trailers with itscan 405.jpgscan 406.jpgscan 407.jpgscan 408.jpgscan 409.jpg when #93 was parked at Gordon River Camp .

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
I'm not positive but I think those are the first pictures that have shown up on this site from BCFP Pitt lake Div. . Now we know the #115 HDX Hayes was at Pitt Lake and it was a Preloader , the loader could be the #93 a Washington TL 15 that ended up at Renfrew Div. in the late 1970's . Thanks callingtheshop , hope you have some more pictures from that Div.

callingtheshop

I'm not positive but I think those are the first pictures that have shown up on this site from BCFP Pitt lake Div. . Now we know the #115 HDX Hayes was at Pitt Lake and it was a Preloader , the loader could be the #93 a Washington TL 15 that ended up at Renfrew Div. in the late 1970's . Thanks callingtheshop , hope you have some more pictures from that Div.
I was there from 1963 - 1967 and there were 5 trucks, all preloads and powered by 6-110 DD. I think the numbers were 215, 216, 217, 218 and 228. The first two weren't planetary axles. Some of the old photos I took I actually wrote a little bit about the photo on the back but I didn't put the unit number down. The old Washington in the previous photos was a tong loader and I remember how the two guys worked on it. The ground man always had a hand rolled cigarette going and it was the main signal device and it depended on how that smoke bobbed in his lips what the machine operator would do. Those two had worked together since they were first born and just knew how to interpret each other.

HDX

callingtheshop, 215,216,217, 218 and 227 were the trucks I got hayesno1 to post a couple pictures of 217 new in front of the office (POST 450) on this thread. It was the first BCFP truck with planetary rear ends maybe 63,000's. This was before I figured out how to post pictures

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 8.1.jpgPitt Lake 9.1.jpg Was it 227? Most likely was as I'm relying on memory, no notes at all. I do remember the planetaries were a weak point. These photos are of a road builder and I have some notes on them. March 1964, Model 80-D going into shop for overhaul. After overhaul. Overhauled bucket, dipstick, and put in new bull gear.

callingtheshop

Pitt Lake 10.1.jpgPitt Lake 11.1.jpgPitt Lake Division February 1964, Northwest 80-D gantry rebuilt. I remember it had collapsed! No injuries, just equipment failure. The boom got lengthened to an engineers specs to prevent recurrence. I think I drilled a mile of steel for all the new holes in the gantry.