• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 Bucket Repair

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So long as you do not overheat the hardened cutting edge welding does not hurt it. The welds will be from the lighter sheet of the moldboard to the edge just as at the factory a non-issue. Try to locate an edge with the correct bolt holes, boltings do come loose but not stressing by welding the teeth on.

Reactions: DB2

DB2

We routinely weld up grader blade ends with the leftovers to beef up the ends for curb guards. Cracking is never an issue. 7018 preheat and peen after welding

AllDodge

Agree, I posted a few times during this thread and Metalman does great work, but this was to repair the heel. The way my bucket is, it to could use some added metal in the area.

AllDodge

Any updates?

Nothing yet, need to make it to Sandusky Steel to see if they have something OR ..... I'm going to try to bend it back. Kind of getting disappointed with the whole issue. I will fix it, but with it being so cold and I don't need it right now, its not high on the list.

If I could find another bucket (w/ teeth) at low enough price I could get it and take my hardened edge and replace it on my old bucket.

AllDodge

Not yet, some day. When I get it fixed, the same guy wants to use it some more, so I'm not in a big hurry, but will get it fixed.

Was given another welder name in Columbia and haven't called yet. Not putting the guy in T-ville as inferior, this guy owns a big construction outfit and this is who he uses. Need to call to see what his capabilities are. He is installing pipe in my area and I'm hauling rock out to fill a whole I've been working on for 10 years.

Found another 955L for sale on CL for 30K, never thought they would sell for that. Do like that his bucket has outside teeth
https://louisville.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cat-955l/6522917186.html

This one I looked at after the bucket was damaged. Its in rough shape, and has been picked at. See it as scrap iron only
https://louisville.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cat955-12aloaderparts-machine/6502313495.html

Metalman 55

That does sound quite high for price. I purchased this 955L about 2 years ago for $12,000 CDN & it is a good running machine. It was an exceptional buy though, I think. Once in a while we get lucky I guess!

Attachments

• 20160709_152648.jpg
    20160709_152648.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 20160709_152719.jpg
    20160709_152719.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 50

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
What’s up with track on left and covers in buckets?

AllDodge

Don't know why I didn't think of this before but just had a brain fart. I have a backhoe and thinking I could place the bucket inside the hoe, and use the bucket to move it back into place. Issue I see is, after moving it back in place, what's going to keep it there. Maybe a chain and binder

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just saw the track issue, the covers are the final sprocket and recoil spring covers, I suspect this one a pig in a poke with adjuster or recoil damage and NOT worth $30k, also looks a little lean on shoes and maybe rails. The junker at $2200 is just stupid, be lucky if a salvager would give $1000.

They call the corner teeth Bits. If not mistaken look like Hensley units corner bits and main teeth.

AllDodge

Between the backhoe, Propane rose bud and a chain binder, think I git it ready enough to weld. Might have gotten it a tad closer if I would have used the ox-axe to cut some of the old metal away.

Now just need to get it over to T-ville to get it repaired

Photo1434.jpg Photo1435.jpg Photo1436.jpg Photo1437.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Whoever is doing the welding may gouge it out for lay in welds, that will relieve it as well. Should do fine once back in altogether.

Welder Dave

Definitely cut or gouge the bad steel out and work off good thick steel even it means having to weld some and grind it back out filling the gaps. If not repaired properly will open up again in short order. Might have to weld a brace to hold everything place while you remove the damaged steel.

AllDodge

I'm hoping the guys at S&H welding know what their doing. They did say it would be gouged out and welded

AllDodge

Still waiting, appears to be waiting for everything. Just called and there was no answer so left a message

Seems no one calls anymore, they appear to expect you to call them
Same thing happened with a mower I ordered. Been 1.5 weeks and I called them today. They tell me it just came in today and they are putting it together. Asked if they thought I would get it this week, and the guy says maybe