• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 Bucket Repair

workshoprat92

I just came across this thread and i have used chains and rachet binders many times to make this same repair. Using a rose bud helps but there is so much there to heat it takes tons of gas. I dont know that propane would work well as its just not as hot and its very dificult to get enough heat in it using actelyne. I got a cutting edge from a local supplier cheap and cut segments out of it on my metal bandsaw and welded in between the shanks as a quick fix way to get a little more life out of my lip before i do a total replace and bucket rebuild. The nice thing is it moved the cutting edge down closer to the bottom of the shanks and really improved the performance of the bucket. If i everrplace my lip im going to make sure i can use removable segements between the shanks.

Attachments

• 20170304_155225.jpg
    20170304_155225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 20170304_154309.jpg
    20170304_154309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

AllDodge

Nice job

Keep thinking about my edges and this makes 4 weeks since the order was placed. Will wait till after Jan 1, and if nothing will look further into it

AllDodge

That was a real slow boat, edges came in today. They are 44 inches long, so 88 total and I'm wondering if they are long enough. When it stops raining I'll have to go take a measurement.

Called the welder and waiting on a call back. Not in a hurry so maybe wait but will see how things go

Photo1401.jpg

AllDodge

Pretty sure those are bolt on cutting edges

The bucket has 8 bolt on teeth and there are places for 4 on each of these. I have bolt on type on my 416 and the edge is about 6 inch wide, these edges are at least 12 inches wide and about 1 inch thick

AllDodge

That sounds good to me

Just talked to the welder and he can cut off the old edge in about 30 minutes, would take me longer then that I think

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
If you look at your bucket the original cutting has two holes for the teeth,one towards the front one towards back . The original edge was one piece ,no weld joint in the center. What do they call them on invoice?

Bls repair

Occupation
The taper on both sides is so when you wear out one side you can flip it around and have a new edge

AllDodge

If you look at your bucket the original cutting has two holes for the teeth,one towards the front one towards back . The original edge was one piece ,no weld joint in the center. What do they call them on invoice?

Damn, your right, there should be two holes. Need to contact the folks
Invoice says 1U1471
edge.jpg

AllDodge

Just talk to the guys and this is a bolt on edge as you said. I need to call CAT tomorrow and find out was it me that messed up or the system. Won't be the first time, and sorry to say won't probably be the last

Bls repair

Occupation
What you have is bolt on replaceable cutting edge. What you need is a weld on cutting-edge with holes for teeth.
You will have to measure the distance between holes and size

Bls repair

Occupation
It’s better to catch it early rather then mess the wrong edge up and have to buy another one

Bls repair

Occupation
You may be able to switch between replaceable c-e and teeth if holes line up.

AllDodge

What is C-E and teeth?
Clint at E Blades says this is a hardened edge and would not be easily welded