• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

74 case 350 crawler loader resortation

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
Case yellow, is and always has been it's own shade of yellow.
Try a case dealer.
Tom

hvguy

Case yellow, is and always has been it's own shade of yellow.
Try a case dealer.
Tom

Ill call tomorrow, closest dealer is about 30 miles away.

Ended up getting the radiator mounted and hoses cut. I was going to mount the trans cooler however I ran out of time, and managed to buy the wrong fittings yesterday. I picked up the right stuff for this evening. Ill probably machine out some delrin bushing for the hydraulic pump just to get it moving, so later on ill replace the coupler when it comes in.
IMAG0887.jpgIMAG0888.jpgIMAG0889.jpgIMAG0890.jpg

hvguy

ooh, ive heard some mixed opinions on cheap TC paint, however I dont really see myself going to dupont and having some REALLY nice paint mixed up. Ill give er a try. Ill pick up a can this evening at lunch.

ALSO, im machining some hydraulic pump coupler bushings if anyone wants some, ill cut some extras. Material is delrin. Since I just ordered my coupler, and it wont be here til next week, I decided to try making my own.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
Forgot about that paint.
Should work well for you and a lot cheaper.
I have not had any problems with TSC paint.
Tom

hvguy

Last night I had to work pretty late so my time with the loader was limited, however I managed to weld up a heavy bracket to hold the trans cooler and weld it in place with removable bolts to get everything out.

Also, the rezloh edge showed up. Unfortunately its an inch short overall, however I got it for a deal.

IMAG0905.jpgIMAG0906.jpgIMAG0907.jpgIMAG0908.jpg

hvguy

Got half the day off and finally got it somewhat finished up:
Mounted the radiator, mounted the trans cooler, cut and assembled new hoses, installed the upgraded hydraulic pump coupler, adjusted the left brake band so the foot brake is more even, machined down the mounting ear on the new alternator so that it fits, new fan belt, welded up the exhaust a little so that it doesn't rattle and finally filled it with some coolant which is where things started going down hill.

After topping it off I noticed the hose between the timing case and the pump housing was leaking... no big deal, the worst part was when I noticed the block had a big(ish) crack near the fuel filter housing. My heart dropped..... thankfully im all out of Fu#*s and ill just braze it tomorrow lol. I did get a chance to drive it around the property before noticing the return lines on the injectors were spewing fuel everywhere. Fixed that and it quit running, so I reversed what I fixed and it ran fine? Looks like I need to investigate the return line being clogged. Other than that, the transmission was pretty weak, probably low on fluid. When I had the cooler taken off, I touched the fluid coming out and had a smell... it was gear oil. A full fluid flush is in order.

If anyone ever has to make some 300psi or lower lines, use push lock lines and fittings, they are magical.
IMAG0919.jpgIMAG0920.jpgIMAG0921.jpgIMAG0925.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You did ALL THAT in 1/2 day.?? I'd be checkin my IN BOX for job offers. LOL
Nice work..
Don't forget to blow out the check ball return connector on the top cover of the inj. pump.
Its a 1 way connector so you'll have to take it off the pump to blow/clean it out..
Good luck..

hvguy

You did ALL THAT in 1/2 day.?? I'd be checkin my IN BOX for job offers. LOL
Nice work..
Don't forget to blow out the check ball return connector on the top cover of the inj. pump.
Its a 1 way connector so you'll have to take it off the pump to blow/clean it out..
Good luck..

When I was in there it looked like just a fitting, nothing was in it, just a through hole. However I did take the return like loose, put 160psi through it and blew a bunch of garbage out of it.

I also replaced the hose that connects the timing case to the pump housing WITHOUT taking them apart.... Ill post pics tomorrow, I'm lying in bed seeing double, it's DEFINITELY time for sleep.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially given how far you've come but..
If the return line is full of garbage, the only place for it to come from is the injection pump..
YOUR CORRECT, THE 42aj DOES NOT HAVE a checkball return connector..
In my mind, that leaves all the broken flex ring material, going back to the tank thru the return line..
Just search, broken flex ring, and you'll see what I'm talkin about..

hvguy

When I was in the pump it only had rust, that's it, no. Broken bits of plastic. To be honest I think it was rust. But it runs, a new pump would still keep me under budget.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
You'll know soon enough.. when the engine rpms start to fluctuate and you cant control the speed of the engine..
you better shut her down QUICK.!!!

hvguy

Got the block cleaned up, drilled the crack and notched it. not looking forward to brazing this -_-

How I changed the tiny radiator hose between the timing case and pump housing:

Cut the old one off with a knife and removed the hose clamps
using a cutoff wheel, cut off the top of the timing case to make a small bevel
grease up the replacement hose and slide it down between the crack,
once you have pushed as far as you can, rotate the hose 180° and it should pop the rest of the way through by using the notch as clearance.
IMAG0933.jpgIMAG0935.jpgIMAG0936.jpgIMAG0937.jpgIMAG0938.jpg

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
that crack might have been a good candidate for pinning........is this the same block that internal cracks also?

hvguy

that crack might have been a good candidate for pinning........is this the same block that internal cracks also?

I've seen pinning, takes forever. Yes it's the same block as before, about 80% of the rebuilds I've seen have had cracks between the liner bosses, didn't think much of it.

Hobbytime

that block froze solid, thats where the crack in the water jacket came from, might not be the last crack you have to deal with...