• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

74 case 350 crawler loader resortation

hvguy

what are you gona braze it with or are you gona weld it up?

I planned on brazing it with some silicon bronze rod and an oxy-acetylene torch, however I might tig braze it using the same rod. I also considered using a nickle rod and just arc welding it, however that doesn't quite have the success rate I'm looking for. All else fails I'll just jb weld it.

Hobbytime

I have had very good luck tig welding cast with 309 stainless rod, it has a little flex so it doesnt crack on cooling, with a big chunk of iron like an engine block you could weld it cold go an inch at a time and let cool down so the block never gets too hot to expand and then cool for any cracking issues..

hvguy

Hmm. I have some stainless rods, I may do that. I saw a guy on YouTube use some stainless mig wire and he fixed a cast manifold. Ill try and see what alloy my rods are. Thanks!

Hobbytime

if you have any old cast laying around crack it and try the ss rod on it to see how it works, then go for the block repair..

Hobbytime

The only rods I have are 316 rods... think this will work?
it should be fine any of the stainless rods on cast will have the same effect...just go slow , like an inch at a time and dont heat up the area , let it cool between each inch..just make sure the area is clean of any oil or antifreeze, wipe with acetone before welding, cleaner the better with tig..

Hobbytime

How long do you suggest between welds?

wait till you can touch weld area with your bare hand, with that much volume of metal it shouldnt be that long between welds, you can start at both ends and meet in the middle, so weld an inch on the right and go right over to the left, then back to the right...DONT spray any water or use any wet towels to cool it down , just let the air do it..

Hobbytime

I'm no expert but Ive heard you should hit the weld with a needle scaler before it cools

if your welding hot yes, it releases the tension in the weld to prevent cracking from thermal expansion, when keeping the piece your welding you dont have to, but if you wanted to it wouldnt hurt..

Hobbytime

so, no pre heating, am I correct?

correct, no preheat, unless you take the block out and can preheat the whole piece and then control the cooling... use enough amps to tig weld the thickness of metal on the side of the block .....

hvguy

im still around, been working 8 days a week at work, will resume working on this as soon as I get some time off.