• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Lowboy Pictures Wanted

Iron Horse

Cletus , i'm sure you are aware but i will say it just in case . If you cut the 24 inches out of the gooseneck , it will not only lower it but also move back as the uprights are not vertical . I would guess the king pin will move rearward around 12" or more . This will cause the rear of the truck chassis and possibly the rear drive tyres to foul the gooseneck . You may need to use a 3/4" skid plate with forward gussetes to make proud of the front face to counteract the rearward movement of the pin . In short , i think the pin centerline will need to be where the old oscilator mount is now .

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
Yes this beauty came from VECO. Bud MaGee in Fairbanks got all VECO's surplus equipment thru some arrangrment and for many years sold it from his yard there. I bought the truck three years ago from Bud.
I don't have the name of the original owner with me but it was (somthing) Flatbed Service then Northern Oilfield Service and of course VECO.
It has a sister that was still in the VECO fleet in 07.
77 LW900
1693 orig 3406B now
5X4 org, I put in a 6 speed main w/.08 overdrive
52K Rears
And my favorite part, 6" straight pipes:naughty
I worked for Mukluk :)

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
Yes, my welding and fabricating buddies and I have brainstormed a plan to put a pin and plate on the original oscilator mount where all the strenght is. It looks real good for taking a 24 inch piece out as far as the pin movement, I'll have lot's of room when I get the attachment point back where it belongs!
That was quite a Quik & Dirty fix.

firedozer

California bonus purple 5 axle load

Attachments

• 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5,603
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5,619
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5,590

john1066

Here is ours 2005 Mack Granite 460 hp
1998 Rogers 50 ton trailer

both were hit by a train 2 years ago at 40mph and are still on the road today

Attachments

• 02192_l.jpg
    02192_l.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 5,342

Chaz Murray

Here is ours 2005 Mack Granite 460 hp
1998 Rogers 50 ton trailer

both were hit by a train 2 years ago at 40mph and are still on the road today

We have had 2 train hits...one back in the late 50's early 60's my grandfather for some reason had the front of the truck on the tracks and did not see the train coming...It tore the front of the truck off at the firewall! and my grandpa walked away from with with nothing more than a scratch on his thumb...and back in the 90's one of our drivers was backing out of a job site that had a private RR crossing that did not have lights or arms...he ended up getting the trailer half way across then got nailed by an Amtrak. ended up ripping the goose neck off the deck of the trailer and sent the rest of the trailer down the tracks....funny thing is when the trailer left the yard it was 8'6" wide and no permit to move it....when it came back in the yard it was 13' wide and had to have a permit to get it back ha ha. ended up having to throw the deck away but kept the rear end and goose neck and built a new deck for it and put it back on the road a couple weeks later. I am goin to have to track down some pictures....I know we have them somewhere in the archives.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Yes this beauty came from VECO. Bud MaGee in Fairbanks got all VECO's surplus equipment thru some arrangrment and for many years sold it from his yard there. I bought the truck three years ago from Bud.
I don't have the name of the original owner with me but it was (somthing) Flatbed Service then Northern Oilfield Service and of course VECO.
It has a sister that was still in the VECO fleet in 07.
77 LW900
1693 orig 3406B now
5X4 org, I put in a 6 speed main w/.08 overdrive
52K Rears
And my favorite part, 6" straight pipes:naughty
I worked for Mukluk :)

drop me a PM, I worked for Mukluk also. just had lunch with a couple of old Mukluk hands a couple of weeks ago.

john1066

Yea says alot for the Rogers trailer tho to be hit like that and come out wth only a small dent and the tractor had no damage at all we just changed the 5th wheel for good measure the extec crusher on the back tho is a different story

Dirtmaster

Hi. I almost bought one of these trailers. Turned out not to be legal now in Washington State because of bridge loading regulations. Tandems distribute the load better and are easier on bridge sections. The inner tires can be dismounted by laying on your belly and reaching down between them with a breaker bar. Forget using a rattle-rench on the inside ones!

Liquorsea

What's everyones opinion on the best brand of lowboys. I'm looking at a few new 50 toners, but can't really see the difference besides price between trail king, rogers, fontaine, talbert, and so on.

Dualie

Murray?

if I was running over the road and had to be legal in most states it would be an XL specialized.

Rogers has always been what all the guys that I know back east swear by.

john1066

All i can say is that the Rogers in that picture too a train at 40 MPH and is still on the road there are 4 train cars out of service

Classic79KW

Occupation
Gear Grinder
Dualie would that Xl DD be sitting right next to the Murray you have now? You know, the one with how ever many miles it is from Stockton to your yard..:D

Dualie

especially in lowbeds cheaper is not better. i personally wouldn't buy a Fontaine.

I would go and look at some used trailers about five or 6 years old. that will give you a good idea on how well a particular brand will hold up over time

millertime778

Occupation
Vice President- City Hill Construction Inc.
Lowboys are awesome. Nice trucks, trailers and big equipment/loads all rolled into one. Can't get much better than that.

I have some nice pictures of Allan A. Myers lowboy hauling a 345 and some others hauling nice loads. But i cant figure out how to post them.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I have some nice pictures of Allan A. Myers lowboy hauling a 345 and some others hauling nice loads. But i cant figure out how to post them.

Once you've made your required number of posts (I think it's 4?) go to manage attachments, then browse for the photos you want and post them.