• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yarders & their drum guarding.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
This is not the post I ever wanted to make but feel I need to raise awareness in this situation. We had a fatality on Tuesday on our new Skagit 737. The Chaser was spooling the main line after they finished logging the setting and either the extension I or the extension shackle had hung up somewhere out in the brush. The Chaser told the yarder engineer to give us some throttle and pull it free while he was still spooling the line. He was standing on the correct platform using a spooling rod and the yarder is equipped with handrails around the drums. When the main line pulled loose from its hang up it through quite the whip into the line and tossed Robbie off balance. He went to catch himself so he didn't fall and got his foot down into the drum and was pulled through the mainline drum.
I along with the fire chief and the aide Lieutenant extracted him from the machine and I just have to say that it was absolutely horrible. He had 28 years experience chasing and was one of the safest employees I have if not the safest. Excellent attitude and very caring hearted.
Labor & Industries was out the same day to do the fatality analysis and commented that that yarder is one of the best they have ever seen and has every piece of required guarding and much more. Please just take a second and go over with your employees proper ways to spool a line and look at your yarders to see if there is any additional guarding or precautions you can take to prevent something like this from ever happening to you or your crew.
Thank you all, stay safe and get logs.

Screenshot_20200827-093004.jpg

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My only exposure to this industry is watching Axemen and I was not expecting to read such horror. My heart goes out to everyone involved, the crew, family and rescue workers. I did rescue work when I was younger and after 5 years had to give it up. The sum total of the carnage I saw took a toll on me and I had to step away. I can only imagine this will haunt you and the others for a long long time. God bless you all and Robbie.

Thanks for posting, increasing awareness could save lives.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have the greatest respect for the woods crews and feel a loss whenever I hear of an accident like this. My condolences to the family, the crew and your company.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The "woods" can be very unforgiving , even when your doing everything right . A little glitch , a split second and things go wrong in a hurry . Somebody is injured or the powers above call someone home . My thoughts and prayers to all involved especially the his family .

JPV

There is such a fine line between close calls and tragedy. We have all had a few close calls that could have gone either way I am sure. It is heartbreaking reading your story, thoughts and prayers to his family, you and your crew.

dirty4fun

This had to be one of your toughest things to post. Hopefully many read it and if it helps keep one person safer that is great. Accidents happen no matter how much we try to prevent them.

RIP Robbie.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thank you to all of you guys. You all are fine men that have a true understanding and experience of the day-to-day operations and as many have said what can go wrong in a split second or change from just a close call to a calling home. This post definitely was not for pity or for grievance, it was to hopefully shed some light on another aspect that could be talked about in a safety meeting or remembered while performing the task.

Reuben Frazier

I don’t have any experience in the field but a tragic accident like that still touches home and makes you think. My condolences to you, your crew and your departed friend,

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
RIP Robbie.
Hallback, may you remember the good times, endeavor to correct the bad and not be haunted by the horror.

Other than an episode or two of Axemen cable logging for me has been strictly books and interwebs. I'm surprised there isn't a mechanical fairlead for spooling up to move or to deal with an uncooperative section of splice. (Would an air applied block off wood eliminate the manpower to spool up?)

I greatly respect the effort to move forward and build safety for others. My time in EMS and Fire has been plagued with preventable chainsaw/tree injury calls. At least once a year we respond to a 'bad one' involving people in the woods. I've tried to get education available but I'm seen as chicken little "sky is falling". Frustrated that injury and death are acceptable costs to some.

grapplewrench

Tuesday,when we head for the job,there will be a spot in our crummy for Robbie. With every "big turn" that comes in and "nice load" we ship,He'll be right there taking part in spirit.Yeah...and we'll get logs.
I've always liked you brother,and the way you go about logging.
Yer the real deal and a good man.In this way of life we have these kind of things,and they hurt.We turn it around and know that men like Robbie,and those friends I have packed out are
cheering us on "get logs,and have fun!"
My son and I, aka Forest Brothers Logging,are behind you all
the way brother.If you ever need anything.......