• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why do most people preferred other brands than China made equipment?

Rally_Action

Guys,

Great thread, although as others have mentioned a bit political towards the end.

Here's my 2 cents.
As many have already mentioned, there's a lot of every day products we already own that may say "Made in XXXX", however in reality they are only assembled in that place and components come from all over the world with a great deal from China.
Off the track of machines for a sec, I bought a brand new, Chinese built off road buggy a couple of years ago. Apart from needing to go over the whole thing with some spanners and some locktite, the buggy is well designed and constructed. When I searched for info on the buggies, I found out the US is one of the largest markets for Chinese built buggies/ATV's in the world. The chinese built off road stuff does have a good wrap in the US with many on forums providing great reviews. Ironically, it's easier to buy after market performance parts for a Chinese bugggy out of the US than it is in Australia!

Not everything built in China is of poor quality.

Back to machines. I've often wondered why we don't see more chinese made heavy equipment here in Oz. Having searched the net, I have seen many Chinese manufacturers that do produce it. I'd imagine that much heavy equipment manufactured in China is actually used in China every day and is probably very capable, reliable and would be able to match the big names.

In Oz I have noticed that many importers are now bringing in smaller tractors and farm attachments. Whilst the tractors do seem to be for smaller acreage (What we'd call a hobby farm) they seem well suited to their intended purpose. I know people who own chinese tractors and say they are great value, reliable little machines. 30hp 4x4 tractor with ROPS FEL & 4 in 1 for around $16K AUD brand new is not terrible money at all.

It'd be interesting to see how heavier chinese equipment would go, particularly in everyday use earning $$$ for its owner....

TALLRICK

My complaint about Chinese products is related to wages and middlemen. The Chinese workers are paid far too little, and the middlemen take far too much. If I can avoid it I buy first world parts. If first world is too expensive I will buy Chinese, but only from the contacts I use who do not extract a huge profit. The difference in prices is mind boggling. The local rip off diesel shop wants 150.00 for a SINGLE Deutz injection pump but a Chinese plunger/barrel assembly from my importer cost me all of $1.90. I purchased a hydraulic hose crimper for 250.00 that does the job as well as the overpriced Parker or Weatherhead units. If the US government would finally shrink domestic production could compete. However, the greedy oligarchs do prefer Chinese slave labor and obscene markups over quality, economical American made products.