• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why do most people preferred other brands than China made equipment?

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
Anything from China that I've had to use is inferior, an example, I had a US made thermos for 20 years, it didn't break it just wore out still keep the coffee hot two days later now one can only buy a China one, Coffee only warm 6 hours later,broken tooth when the spanner broke, boss brought a new spade to clean the tracks just bends made in China, boss brought Black cat ripper boots broke 5 by lunch time made in China I've never broken a Cat one the list goes on It annoyes the hell out me when we don't have a choice to buy the goods from yesterday, I don't mind paying for quality

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
An agent for a scrap buyer here, also sells Chinese 4 wheel motor bikes, so back when scrap was worth something, we did a deal on our scrap for a little 4 wheeler and some cash. We had a Yamaha 4 wheeler that we had worn out, so we thought we would try one of these Chinese ones. When we first got it, the carby kept leaking all of the petrol out on to the ground, so we got that fixed, but after that, I don't think it would have done twenty kilometres and three of the four front wheel bearings totally collapsed. When that happened, we just parked it, but the other day while it was wet, the boys got it out and pulled the front wheels off. The bearings are just a normal sealed ball bearing that presses in each side of the hub, the mind boggles, that they fell to pieces so quick. I bought some new ones from our bearing supplier, so we will see how they go, they are probably 'Made in China', too. The steering and suspension joints are all sloppy and the rack on the back has broken because the tube steel it is made of, is so thin and like I said, I doubt that it would have travelled twenty kilometres. It is just a case of, you get what you pay for.

Quite a few companies are importing Chinese wheel loaders into Australia now. One of them is called a Ranger loader and it is manufactured by the Shandong Lingong Construction Machinery Co. Ltd. A group of business men formed a company and are importing and selling these machines through the agricultural dealer network around the country. This machine isn't a bad looking machine and we were wondering whether one would be all right for a stockpile machine in our yard. A fairly large dealer, not that far from us sells them, so after sales service should not be a problem, but it is all the little things. I have been told that none of the hydraulic hose fittings are compatible with any of the common fittings and as it has been said here before, how good is the quality of the steel used in these machines, I keep thinking of our motor bike experience. A mate of mine was telling me yesterday that another Chinese brand wheel loader sold here, has been having over heating problems and one that he was looking at, the fins in the core of the radiator were starting corrode, as if a poorer quality copper had been used and it was still a new machine. Once you do buy one of these machines, it will loose nearly all of it's value, because it will be very hard to sell secondhand, so I think you have to be prepared to drive it till it drops. At this stage, I think we will opt for a secondhand Komatsu.

Japan went through the same thing, the quality of their early equipment was questionable, but it improved as time went on. We bought a Furukawa loader quite a few years ago and it gave us 11,000 hours of trouble free service, it was one of the best machines we have ever owned. It seems that a lot of the major manufacturers are becoming or are already involved in China, so I think in time we will see some very good machinery come out of there, but as the quality improves, so will the price.

Rn'R.

Hendrik

On the other hand there is a lot of stuff that is made in China that is quality stuff, reason being that quality controls are in place. Things like gaming consoles are a good example, Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft would not manufacture in China if the quality was not up to their expectations.
The other day I bought some workpants, both King Gee and Hard yakka are now made in China but at least I managed to buy some Aussie work boots.

swampdog

Quite a few companies are importing Chinese wheel loaders into Australia now. One of them is called a Ranger loader and it is manufactured by the Shandong Lingong Construction Machinery Co. Ltd. Once you do buy one of these machines, it will loose nearly all of it's value, because it will be very hard to sell secondhand, so I think you have to be prepared to drive it till it drops. At this stage, I think we will opt for a secondhand Komatsu.

Rn'R.

I'd take one of these Chinese loaders only if they sold for a penny a pound. That way one could turn it in at the scrap metal dealer when it fails and one can't get parts. Even if parts are available, do you really want to spend your money and time on parts and repairs?

I would spend my money on a used Cat or other quality loader. The thirty year old Cat 966C I bought last year is still an amazing machine. Since buying it, it has put in hundreds of hours of hard work and not missed a beat. Tough as nails - or - what's tougher than nails? An amazing machine at any rate.

Legdoc

Many good posts. For me it go's way deeper than poor quality much of the time. China is a communist country. Communism has always been an enemy to the free world and the USA. They have provided companies a place to have their goods produced by near slave labor rates then import them at huge profit as the savings in costs have never been fully passed on to the consumer. The only good I see they are polluting their country at a never before seen rate. I do look at the country of origin label. I nearly always will pay extra for "made in the USA"!

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Many good posts. For me it go's way deeper than poor quality much of the time. China is a communist country. Communism has always been an enemy to the free world and the USA. They have provided companies a place to have their goods produced by near slave labor rates then import them at huge profit as the savings in costs have never been fully passed on to the consumer. The only good I see they are polluting their country at a never before seen rate. I do look at the country of origin label. I nearly always will pay extra for "made in the USA"!
:ban:ban:ban:ban

Lets not get political shall we.

I understand that you would pay extra for the 'made in USA' label, but what about a USA brand made in China? For example, Caterpillar.

And you might think that its a good thing that they are polluting their own country, but how would you feel if you lived there?

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
This is an aside, but its kinda funny and along the same vein...

I was watching the military channel years ago, and this guy was recounting his D-Day.

He and another fellow were walking through a meadow. Artillery was firing in the distance when shells started falling nearby. Before they got a chance to run for cover a shell hit the ground immediately in front of them, bounced, rolled between thier feet and rolled away. Ashen faced, they looked at one another and exclaimed,"Must be Czechoslovakian!"

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!

:usa:usa:usa me too I look at every label on everything even the fruit!

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Agreed that much of the Chinese made stuff is junk. Unfortunately, top quality products often are much more expensive so we end up buying the Chinese stuff.

Two weeks ago I needed to buy a 36 mm box end/open end wrench. The made in China version was $12.95. A name brand (not sure where it was made) was $200.00. Which one would you have bought?

Big difference in tools and heavy equipment.That 12 dollar wrench will not slow your job down unless you only have one in the tool box..But I think you have to have Chinese wrenchs to work on Chinese equipment.

drag1line

Communist Country??? That is old news and being outdated every day as the Chinese Government continues to divest themselves of state owned companies. You go over there and the number of private stores and enterprises is amazing and exploding. They now ask "How is it that we are becoming more Capitalistic and you are becoming more Communistic?" Better look in our own back yard before posting labels.
Quality is being changed at an ever increasing pace at all levels. If you have not visited there, try it.
Don't want to buy foreign? Do you shop at Wal Mart. After the father died, those "Made in America" signs died and their profets have exploded.
This whole discussion is back to the early 80's with the Japanese Junk and now they are the standard of the MANY industries.
Many of the newer Chinese construction products are at Least 25% less than comperable more known brands and they do the same work. Parts issues are an issue with some brands, but not so much with the brands that are investing and hiring in this country, such as Sany and LiuGong.
Check the parts that go into these machines..not four wheelers and toys, you might just be suprised at the content of these machines.
My two cents.

swampdog

Dragline, you certainly make some valid points. Even the largest brand name manufacturers now have many of their products made in China. If they manage to enforce quality controls, the products are good.

However, IMO at least, much of the stuff coming in from China still qualifies as junk. The scandals in recent years involving substandard and even dangerous Chinese products make a long list.

Another issue - and probably a more imporant issue - is that North America has lost millions of jobs to China and other nations that pay their workers very little. The effects of this can be seen in the NA unemployment rate, low wages in many industries, the crash in home prices as unemployed people can't afford mortgage payments, and the overall weak economy in areas of the continent that depend on manufacturing.

The downward spiral of the American economy and parts of the Canadian economy (Ontario, Quebec, etc) is alarming. We need to bring jobs back to this side of the Pacific in order to enjoy a prosperous future. Otherwise, much of North America will become more and more like places such as Detroit and Elkhart, Indiana. As a homeowner, I certainly don't look forward to house prices dropping to $10,000 or less, or to huge rollbacks in wages.

At least that's the way I see it.

drag1line

Amen Brother
But when I see Jeep Cherokees in Hiroshima at $32,000 due to "Inspections" and the same thing here is $18,000, and that our rice is "Not to Japanese Taste", but their rice is 10x the cost of ours due to protecting their farmers, Brazil that outright bands outside competition due to protective tariffs and so on, and yet we STILL do business with them. Yes boils my blood, but is reality.
One big question, if outside competition stopped, how much would you be willing to pay for electronics, Toys, cook wear, ect. Wal Mart would fail tomorrow if imports stopped. How long would it take to ramp up production here...Note,,Politically correct includes Canada in "here".
The other costs that are not so important in Canada, where they have the "English Rule" on lawsuits, is the cost of liability for EVERY THING in the US. That is one reason that Medicine in Canada is less expensive than here...something that Obama did not address...another subject!!
Personally, I blame the politicians for this.
On the construction machinery, as I posted earlier, most of the "Make it go" components are from the EU or North America, but lower cost labor and steel make the difference.
In Hiroshima, a 30 minute taxi ride in a Toyota was $25 and the same ride in the same Toyota is $3.10 in a city in China.
Off my soap box!

gr79

China has a few quality products. Aside from that, they unload mountains of government subsidized cheap crap upon the world:

This is what I comes to mind when I think of ''made in China'':
:throwup
toys containing lead
poisoned pet food
gypsum board made from industrial waste that leaves houses uninhabitable
electronics devices that don´t last or just don´t work
and the latest

Why the hell would I want to try my luck with their cheapo equipment deals??

ALL electrical cords have a tag attached stating:
"this product contains lead-wash hands after handling".
Why are these items being imported to poison us adults too? Less SS and pension retirement to pay out?
Is most EVERYBODY too busy to notice this or do not care?

Commonplace to hear retail sales are down. I wonder why.
Paki sourced Home and Gardens brand bath towels that lose color dye-unheard of.

WHY are most Orient/Asian imported product prices, common everyday items found in local retail stores, still the same or higher as if manufactured domestically? Lionel train of late is one example.
As always most of the stuff in a box has an odor.

Most is tacky looking junk. There are exceptions.
Have bought imported mfg. items over the years to be of excellent value and quality.

Broke down and bought the yellow HF scaffold. Was 170.00 but will pay for itself DIY house projects.
Hurts to perch on ladder rungs for hours. Someday these will be a great garage sale find.

Ridgid Tool 9.6v screwdriver kit-discontinued, 50.00-a super tool
Sony items from the 70-80's. Look and work like new.
IBM refurbished PCs- OOPS-One night dropped the ThinkPad 4' onto a concrete floor- it was and is unfazed by that.
Schwinn bikes of late-almost as good as old ones.

Same old deception and greed from the past fostered on newbees who think upscaled everything is better.
Hitech SUV crossover whatevers still roll over like covered wagons of the 1800's.

Last edited by a moderator:

dayexco

i can't imagine why ANYBODY that carries a union card....would even consider buying, or operating a product from across our borders.

Turbo21835

So day, can you help this union stick puller out? I need to know what to tell my dispatcher. Is it alright that I run any at machine, or are the Japan/europe built machines out the window? What about Komatsus built in Tn? I gotta know so I can tell dispatch where to send me. Hope they understand and dont kick me back to the bottom of the list.

dayexco

i guess that's a question you have to answer for yourself...i would think that you'd watch out after your own...and those of any other union trade....i could be wrong though