• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who's Run the Largest Equipment?

alco

Well, being a mechanic I don't "operate" equipment.
I can make it do its motions, but I really don't think you would want me loading your truck.

I have gone back and forth between logging and mining so have a pretty good assortment.
Largest logging equip would be a Madill 144
Largest mining equip would be a Hitachi 5500

Have played with lots of other things, but like I say, not an operator :rolleyes:

It's refreshing to see a mechanic who will admit that. It seems like most have the attitude that they are the best operators out there...........and then you see them in the seat.

Thank you!

ben46a

It's refreshing to see a mechanic who will admit that. It seems like most have the attitude that they are the best operators out there...........and then you see them in the seat.

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat, I've driven 797s, driven D11s, driven 24ms as well, but I've not operated them!

wornout wrench

Don't get me wrong Alco, if I was there I could tell you everything you are doing wrong:lmao
I'm just humble enough not to show it on the forum:umno

JGibson

330lme cat, 724j john deere, D3K Cat :D, 6000 series john deeres and other tractors of this size mostly small equipment for me and tractors

HoJay

Working at a mine now so not a fair comparison. Marion 8750 dragline and d11t. Before I started mining they would be d10's, komatsu 1800 and fooled around on a hitachi 2500 shovel.

CraneInnovation

Occupation
Structural Engineer
Working at a mine now so not a fair comparison. Marion 8750 dragline and d11t. Before I started mining they would be d10's, komatsu 1800 and fooled around on a hitachi 2500 shovel.

Ok....I HAVE to know....what's it like running an 8750?! Things that surprised you pleasantly/unpleasantly? I love that machine...

HoJay

Running the 8750 is awesome. We have two drags, the 8750 and a 8200. Most of the training is done on the 8200 and then you "graduate" to the 8750. There were a few surprises. Recovering the bucket is a little more difficult, it's not as forgiving as the smaller drag. A bit more delay on the control inputs with all that rope out there, can be tough picking the bucket up if you get out of rhythm and don't get the rigging tight. Then you have to play catch up with the spreader bar. Tons of power hoist and drag. Much easier to short dump with the big one, more weight with the bucket you get more momentum.

profrooky

Occupation
Professor
I'm also a Tech that occasionally got to play operator but never claimed to be good at it.

Had to run a 992G on a live stockpile once. That was a little sketchy!

First scraper to run was a 657B after we did a certified rebuild. It was a coal hauler so could handle 50yds. It was like driving a house around.

Cat 245s, 365s, Linkbelt 100 ton crane, 777 trucks (fun to do donuts with in the snow!). LaTourneau 950.

No Trains but have ran a Car mover (Trackmobile) and IR rock drill.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm like a lot of the maintenance people above, I know what the controls do and how they are supposed to work but going from the theory to the practical is a different thing. I'm well out of practice now but I used to be pretty handy on 994's years ago, this was the good old steering wheel machines way before the days of STIC. One of the things I'm most proud of is a printout from the late 90's for 3100 tons/hour on a 994 loading 789Bs, although I will admit it was off a stockpile. TBH I'm not sure I could do it now even with a 994F/H equipped with STIC.

Years ago I got the chance to run a BE1550W dragline. That was interesting ............

CDNDIESELMONKEY

I ran a Letourneau L 950 for about an hour lol
104_0814.jpg
Here is the wife (the CFO) with the loader on an open house day.

Cutterjohn

Not sure if it counts, but about a decade ago I got to "run" a CAT 5130B FS, by run I mean operator was in the cab, I was in the hot seat and cycled the boom, stick & bucket a few times, didn't get to move it though sadly.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Thank you!

I think I probably pi$$ off some customer truck drivers when I need to test run a machine after or before repairs. They start to pull up near the pile I'm working in and I run away:eek:

Now if the pit loader operator is late in the morning I have no problem running the 988H to load the 769D or 773G for a while but those trucks can take a little tap that would total a KW or Pete!

FSERVICE

I think I probably pi$$ off some customer truck drivers when I need to test run a machine after or before repairs. They start to pull up near the pile I'm working in and I run away:eek:

Now if the pit loader operator is late in the morning I have no problem running the 988H to load the 769D or 773G for a while but those trucks can take a little tap that would total a KW or Pete!

LMAO " a little tap" I think you probably hit it a little harder than that!!!!!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Was it decided if us mine pigs can enter?!
As mentioned, I'm no operator, just a steel slinger, pulling on the levers to make it right.

hseII

When I worked for the Cat Dealer here as a Service Tech;

D10R
657E, or G I can't remember. In 2007 and was new.
Triple 7
992G
854G
385C

Since leaving the dealership, the biggest would be my grandfather's Kobelco 330.

Ima new guy here

alco

Just to be clear I did NOT total any KW's or Pete's just using those a references!

Yeah, the ones he totaled were Macks and Internationals. The KWs and Petes weren't completely totaled......lol.