• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

TALLRICK

WOW I am still hoping for some free attachments for my Bobcats! The collection of bobcats has grown from my first one to the 1998 863. Never payed much for anything, but my machines were someone else's lemons or worn out junk. A second or third life instead of becoming chinese scrap metal.

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
WOW I am still hoping for some free attachments for my Bobcats! The collection of bobcats has grown from my first one to the 1998 863. Never payed much for anything, but my machines were someone else's lemons or worn out junk. A second or third life instead of becoming chinese scrap metal.
Did you get that 863 running yet? :beatsme

TALLRICK

Did you get that 863 running yet? :beatsme

Sure did. Unfortunately, had to put in the defective starter ring gear till I find a new one. Painting is just about done but I took time to rebuild my trailer. It has been too hot to work on it and too rainy. Also taking apart my 763 to put new hoses in it.

rpctsv

skid steers are 100x better than a garden tractor!Mine is for farm use only,clearing trees,spading trees,snow removal,rock leveling,ext!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrills

Occupation
Nuke Operator
Thomas PT-1700A for home?

Hello!

As you can see, I'm new here!

I had a opportunity to purchase a 2003 Thomas Pro-tough 1700A with 202 hours on it for about $9k. Is that a good price? (From a neighbor going through a divorce/bankruptcy - he bought it "new" in 2004 during the 'Thomas equipment auctions' and only used it to build his house, dig his swimming pool, and clear snow. It's got a Kobuta 4 cyl FI diesel & a dirt-bucket.

It looks and runs (as far as I can tell) like new. He gave it to me to play with for a week, and I'm getting better every day, especially with the bucket "float" feature for smoothing out my driveway. I only plan to use it for personal work around my home.

I had 2 options: get it, do all my landscaping, etc, then re-sell it, OR since we're looking for property to keep my wife's horses on, I may just end up keeping it. (I'm leaning toward keeping since I'm having so much fun with it!)

It is my first "machine" so I don't know anything, and any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

What does the "A" stand for?
At what degree will it roll-over backwards going up a hill?
Anything else I should know / look for?

Thanks so much!

(I posted here cause I don't have enough posts to make my own thread yet.)

henrysdad

just bought a bobcat S185 for use at home - putting up a pole barn, beats renting one. anyone know where chain case oil drain plug is located? where the book says it is is the plug for draining the diesel fuel

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
my 843 bobcat
is a yardmachine but last year i used it on my aunts farm and i guess thats a job for it

razerface

At home is all mine see. 2 bobcats, a 943 with a backhoe,auger, forks, bucket. A 310 with bucket and tracks. Could not live without them right now.

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
I had 2 M700's and loved them both. Picked them both up for around 3500 each. They are relatively low maintenance, and I used them at home and for building pole barns etc.

rgaus

This is my first post. I purchased a Koehring 1350 ScatTrak about ten years ago. Rebuilt boom and tilt cylinders and replace hydraulic pump. Four years ago convert it over to use Quiktach attachments. Found out on eBay that this machine is the same as a Thomas T133 loader. Over the ten years, we have put over 600 hours on it.

Bob G.

rgaus

This is my second post. I purchased a 1996 Bobcat x320 on eBay after I had rented a Kubota KX-121 one week about four years ago. Lucked out it had the 16" bucket and not the 12" bucket. It ran good but this machine was in rough shape. First winter had to cut out all the rust in the seat and floor board area and weld in new steel. Also had to replace the boom and bucket bushings and pins.

However it is time for new tracks, sprockets, rollers, etc. The tracks, Bridgestone 250x45x72-FP, looks like the original set. It is throwing crossbars

Bob G.

Thrills

Occupation
Nuke Operator
Recently picked-up a nice, 1990 New Holland L-555 deluxe from a dealer who got it from a golf-course as a trade in. I only plan on using it around the house / barn. I don't have much experience, but of all the ones I tested before purchasing, this was one of the best for power, easy of use, and stability. I'm quite happy! I told my wife she might as well plant flowers in the wheel barrow,... I'll never use it again!

bob snyder

Occupation
contractor
I have found my old M610 to be the best garden tractor. Is there anyone else out there who uses a skid loader for non-commercial use only? It sure seems like a nice way for an old skid steer to retire and get more out of its life. There comes a time when a machine can no longer be reliable enough to earn money out on the jobsite, but a valuable helper around the yard.

:)bought a 60xt for personal work.Thought buying a newer one should last:beatsme wrong its broke down now , left side wont move , crap.Had an 1845 and worked better :(

BIAVAEX

We have 3 pics. of Equipment. 1845c, 580 SE & 580 SL. We tend to leave the 1845 at home due to the fact of just another machine to transport so the majority of the little 500 hrs it has on it is around the shop.

thomp86540

New to this sight, I just picked up a cat 226 with a bad block, I either need to find a replacement block or a engine swap that fit in this application, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Madeen2

I have a Mustang 2044 use it on my(wifes farm)to chase horses,pick up there crap and replace the fence that they break and then i proceed to chase them around again.Also makes a kick ass cherry picker.I am in my 4th year of building my pond not an easy task with a skid steer I should just rent a 330 for a day or two and get it over with but whats the fun in that and its pretty hard to chase the horses around with an excavator more reach but just doesn't have the speed.The only regret in my skid steer purchase is not getting the pilot controls if i had to do it all over again i would pony up the dough for pilot contols and a heater with a cab.But other than that it is the best and most versatile tool i own for my property.