• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who makes your favorite skid steer?

nottaken

i just sold a ghel 170 which i owned for only a couple of months. granted it had a few issues unknown to me when purchased but after sizing up costs to put in a-one shape. i said sayanara to it and wished the new owner "good luck". i had owned and run a new holland 555 for many years before a pinhole in a radiator hose trashed the engine. i really loved that little machine. it did a awsome job for its size. anyway, i just purchased a 2000 new holland ls180 with only 450 hrs on it and it is now my new favorite machine. also picked up a 4in1 bucket and a set of forks with hydrualic adjusters. really like both of these pieces. machine came with steel tracks too, i think i'm gonna like them also.

durallymax

Ran one of the c series cats the other day. Nice machines to run.

Complaints about the L200 series NHs so far from me. Fan blades all chipped within first few hours, cab does not seal well, very noisy cab, hydraulic system is poor, have to run wide open to go anywhere in 2 speed but then cannot run the boom because the flow is too fast, they don't lock out the pedals anymore and you have nowhere to step but the pedals so you will feel the bucket jerk when stepping in with it running if you hit one of the pedals, the fuse box nightmare, the entire rear plastic design ordeal, its all been a PITA but my biggest complaint has to be serviceability. Boy did NH screw up. Its like they took their focus towards making the cab tilit easily and forgot about the rest of the machine. You cannot work on the engine. There is no access from the sides, the rear access is limited by a very tall radiator, very short engine compartment as well as an upper cover that doesnt raise far, and the front access with the cab up is restricted by the muffler. But the cab tilts up so you can work on the hydros and drives. What do you spend more time working on? Starters, alternators, water pumps etc. I had no issues with working on hydros and drive motors before. It was tighter and yes the cab required special jacks, but at least you could work on the motor. I think NH has built the least serviceable skid steer. We also had a relief valve fail leaving us with no hydraulics, and the quick attach cylinders hoses get hit by some attachements and loosen up. I always seem to turn the wiper on when exiting the cab as well, and I get very angry at the operate button because it is so small and usually have to hit it a couple times, I dont know why they couldnt make the big parking brake rocker switch underneath it do the same thing.

Complaints from other farmers in the are have been fires, lots of fires due to chaff falling through the honeycomb screen in the back and settling down in the engine. The debris all settles on the muffler I noticed on ours, it always smells like it wants to burn up. Another farmer has replaced 3 radiators in 900 hours because of sand falling through the honeycomb and being blown through the radiator essentially sandblasting it to pieces. I don't know how bright their future is with these skids. Maybe some people like them. I dont know. I do like how large and bright the cab is. Visibility is still #1, but it stops there.

nottaken

thanks

thanks for the heads-up dmax. glad to know i made a wise choice. but you'll be glad to know i've remedied the problem. in order to save myself a lot of grief, i went right out and doused that darned thing with diesel and set a match to her. your opinion really got me motivated! i havn;t felt this good since the last time i got cussed out by an old drunk woman at a red light in front of all my grand children. meanwhile i trust you'll stay away from all them nasty ole new hollands. have yerself a good'n:)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You have got to be kidding me!!! JCB is number two???????? Wow, i think KSSS is right on this one. Where is Takeuchi on this list? People really like a JCB better? I can see Bobcat at number 1 but thats about it.....

Was this survey by people who depend on the skid-steers to be available to work or by mechanics who earn money fixing them?

We have an old Case 1845C and a Bobcat 743 both have been abused hard in stone quarry since 1989, they have had their problems but mostly operator caused. We have a 1999 JCB 185 that spends more time in shop than out working, the only thing good about the JCB is it has an enclosed cab for rainy days.

durallymax

thanks for the heads-up dmax. glad to know i made a wise choice. but you'll be glad to know i've remedied the problem. in order to save myself a lot of grief, i went right out and doused that darned thing with diesel and set a match to her. your opinion really got me motivated! i havn;t felt this good since the last time i got cussed out by an old drunk woman at a red light in front of all my grand children. meanwhile i trust you'll stay away from all them nasty ole new hollands. have yerself a good'n:)

can't tell is this is sarcasm or not? The LS180 you have is a great machine. Love our old new hollands. Reliable, simple and easy to work on.

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Great thread!

I really enjoyed reading this. Just wanted to say I am real happy with my Bobcat T 190 air conditioned,wide track machine.
4 in 1 bucket, Power rake, Trencher ( none of them bobcat brand)
Been a great machine for grading and digging (i am a concrete contractor) even digging out and knocking over trees in clearing operations.
Also have an LX 665 NH rubber tired machine, mostly carry concrete and rip out concrete with this machine.
Had some trouble with this machine a while ago:
Broke lift arm rams in two, no load, baffled New Holland, they sent out a Rep. Happened twice.
Finally replaced with the same as LS model and havent had any trouble.
Cracked lift frame around pins in the back, New Holland makes an over sized gusset, I welded those on and all is well.
Cracked and broke the lift frame at the bucket pin point, this was my fault I had the T 190 bucket on and was being a little aggressive, I made gussets and welded it up, no problems.
Also have a Bobcat 334 mini ex with several buckets, power thumb and 12 inch auger, this machine is 10 years old and I LOVE IT. Talk about a useful machine, great for loading wood on brush pile fires.
Anyway, thats my two cents, Ed

Fickster

they say the dB rating is 76. as you know, that is really low. i have heard the m series bobcats are in the high 90s? 76 would be about the rating of interior noise on an automobile at full throttle. i like to wear hearing protection on the bobcat now but is a ridiculous inconvenience; to the point where i stopped after a few thousand hours.

a new jcb for us would be around 35k. if i was spending 85k i would be more concerned about resale value.

to an extent, an hour is an hour.

i think some confusion here comes when people lump me in with farmers in how i use my skid steer. i will admit, most people dont even know how to drive one.

abuse on ours might include logging, all the below zero unaided starts with no warm up afterward, loading liquid manure on a sidehill with the 8 foot bucket running in axle deep manure all day, busting up frozen manure all winter, driving around on silage piles, the no maintainance strategy... oil change intervals might be as high as 700 hours. grease intervals might be as high as 500 hours. other fluids might still be original with 8300 hours. etc.

the dieselmax sips fuel, i would be surprised if anyone else comes close, not to mention you dont have as much aftertreatment to add maintainance cost and such; i assume no one is running a particulate trap yet on skid steers.

the deere tractor took 80 gallons in 5 hours; i was not impressed.

80 gallons in 5 hours? A d-10 cat dozer don't burn that much. I'll admit the new John Deere like fuel but not that much. Currently own a 6330 with cab n it burn 1-3 gallon an hr n it's a 90 horse I belive Dave 80 gallons in 5 hours. Come on dude how many of you guys thinks that's true or false

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
80 gallons in 5 hours? A d-10 cat dozer don't burn that much. I'll admit the new John Deere like fuel but not that much. Currently own a 6330 with cab n it burn 1-3 gallon an hr n it's a 90 horse I belive Dave 80 gallons in 5 hours. Come on dude how many of you guys thinks that's true or false

Maybe 8.0 gallons?

JCBiron

In my experience, most large skids and CTL's will burn 3-4 gallons per hour working at 80%+ engine load. Lighter duty=less load=less fuel. Obviously, this is impacted by many variables, including altitude, types of attachments being ran, even ground conditions. That's why I reference engine load, because all of the other factors ultimately come down to the load placed on the engine, and thus, fuel burned.

mnscruff

I know I am new here but read though most of this post and had to sign up !! I kinda like my old '80 Gehl hl4500 it's been on fire twice do to operator error (dipstick welding on it) oooh that be me, sorry, runs like a champ, starts when its twenty below, always does what is asked of it, weather it be loading trucks/trailers, running the front sacrificer bar tearing up clay or class 5, or the root rake rippin up stumps it's never let's me down!! 40 hp of pure madness!!! I am thinking of moving on up to a case 1845 though that should be a powerhouse!!! I know I won't be competing with any of ya'all on here but sure works great on the forty acres of deer property I'm working on.

enjoy the day

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I may be a little biased, but I love my Case 1845C. Not the most high tech machine, but it's does everything short of running a snow blower. And has been rock solid for the last 17 years. I'm convinced that after the apocalypse, the only things left moving will be cockroaches and 1845c's.

But I was looking at those S650's the other day and well it's kind of like a caveman seeing a 747 for the first time.

Paul Six

You guys in the US build the best skidsteers in the world BOBCAT and CATERPILLAR , why do you want to buy anything else???

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I probably should have made this comment years ago but was a little ashamed of my prowess as an operator.It almost goes without saying that nearly everyone who does site work has at least one of them and more often two or more,usually not trading in their old one and just adding to the fleet.I was usually busy running something else and the skid steer operators came from the disposable workforce and it is just as well because I probably was no better than the guy off the street when it came to control because the dang things are not intuitive to me,everything is upside down and it is a lot of work to get anything out of them.What's worse is that I have seen guys that can do no wrong and just shame me to death and I am always afraid that the help has seen those guys too and I get embarrassed to be seen in one.
I can carry a grade but I work for it.Now,the best one that I have run was the John Deere but only for the reason that when digging with a backhoe attached I can reach behind me to move the machine,every other one that I have seen you had to dismount and physically sit in the seat,some even require the seat belt to be fastened to get the machine to move so in my experience the JD was the best.Ron G

Mark13

You guys in the US build the best skidsteers in the world BOBCAT and CATERPILLAR , why do you want to buy anything else???

Because we can buy Takeuchi's if we want a CTL that's designed to kick @ss and make other machines in it's size class look bad.

Digdeep

Because we can buy Takeuchi's if we want a CTL that's designed to kick @ss and make other machines in it's size class look bad.

I think its a good, simple and strong machine. Too bad their market share in the US continues to decline to a point of being the 5th choice or lower. :beatsme