• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who makes your favorite skid steer?

dave esterns

jcb. ah do i really have to sign up for the service just to participate in the survey? cuz thats just too much...

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
LOL! I bet you will be the single vote for liugong.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The popularity vote pretty much cut down market share lines.....Except JCB. How a skid steer line with about 1% market share garners 19% I am not sure.........unless there are a lot of guys like Dave that voted on the computer for JCB but chose something else with their checkbook.

barklee

You have got to be kidding me!!! JCB is number two???????? Wow, i think KSSS is right on this one. Where is Takeuchi on this list? People really like a JCB better? I can see Bobcat at number 1 but thats about it.....

928G Boy

Oh, and thanks for voting, 928G boy. Liugong appreciates their one vote. (A bit about Liugong)

someone actually voted for liugong? :eek: I was just kidding, i thought it was funny liugong was an option. Liugong is obviously trash. I didn't even know they made skid steers

In reality I voted for Bobcat, I am about as hardcore of a Bobcat guy as possible. I love my S185 and I'm looking at getting a T190 by the end of the month. I've been running Bobcat skid steers since before I could reach the pedals (literally) my grandfather's had a 632, two 743s, an 843 and an 853 over the years. I bleed white and orange.

And no offense but your article shouldn't be called "contractors prefer _____ skid steers" it should be more like "random people on the internet prefer ____ skid steers" I don't remember any pre-qualification about being a contractor to vote in the poll

Last edited:

dave esterns

i like how "contractors" think they are better than everyone else. (there is this comment, and before the comment about how my skid steer usage is not valid) my experience with skid steers is arguably more legitimate than anyone on here. it may be true that people really like the jcb, but are scared of change/something new/resale value. i guarantee anyone here that if they actually took the time to learn about the jcb/tried one out/did a side by side comparison with their brand; they could not possibly come away not at least respecting the jcb.

again, factoring in my local dealers, electric controls, fuel and service cost, warranty, resale value, purchase price, i'm confident a jcb would be the most cost effective machine i could purchase.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
i like how "contractors" think they are better than everyone else. (there is this comment, and before the comment about how my skid steer usage is not valid) my experience with skid steers is arguably more legitimate than anyone on here. it may be true that people really like the jcb, but are scared of change/something new/resale value. i guarantee anyone here that if they actually took the time to learn about the jcb/tried one out/did a side by side comparison with their brand; they could not possibly come away not at least respecting the jcb. again, factoring in my local dealers, electric controls, fuel and service cost, warranty, resale value, purchase price, i'm confident a jcb would be the most cost effective machine i could purchase.

No need to get yourself worked up Dave. No one is saying Contractors are better than anyone else or that your experience is not valid. I am sure you are also correct that without a doubt, your experience is more legitimate than anyone else on here. You are again correct in suggesting that JCB's biggest issues in the past are a result of "contractors" being scared of change.

I have taken the time to learn about the JCB. I have been very fair in my comments about the new series (IMO). Demo one? Sure.....buy one? Not a chance. Even if I was totally blown away by the machines performance would I lay out for one and I have already said why.

I am still anxiously awaiting your announcement that your buying one (being the biggest JCB fan that doesn't own one that I have come across). I know you have to wait for a certain sized machine to release, well I look forward to hearing your thoughts when it finally arrives.

dave esterns

not only do i plan on buying a skid steer, the dream is to buy a jcb tractor. i was tooling around in a 200k john deere today, and it was no better than our 80k tractor; arguably worse. i drove a jcb tractor a few times, and was indeed blown away; its amazing how the jcb machines are so unlike and so much better than the rest. i have heard that jcb is dealing on selling/trading their sweet rear suspension componentry to deere. their tractor is what got me interested in their skid steer. kss, would you buy a jcb telescopic handler?

so what about fuel savings over your big case? could amount to 16k or so on a 40k machine over 4 years. seems significant.

what about safety? do you get out of your skid steer with the boom up?

what about just the plain sweetness of the quiet (that no one else has) comfortable large cab? the quietness alone, to me, the operator, is worth probably 3k. i would be willing to pay 3k extra to get a quiet machine over a loud one.

Last edited:

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
KSSS - you are very incorrect.... contractors are better than everybody else.... grin! If this was a farm forum or hobby contractors weekly bulletin...but it is heavy equipment. I've spent many years in AG and how a skid steer is used in Ag is no way comparable to how a contractor would use it day to day. Unless, of course, that farmer is a contractor. There are plenty of pick ups that drive bankers to work.

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
OOPs... about the poll, I would agree that Bobcat has enough good to be #1. At least by contractors. There is no way JCB and Cat can come in #2. Even Cat customers hate their equipment, must be a few JCB Cat groupies.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
not only do i plan on buying a skid steer, the dream is to buy a jcb tractor. i was tooling around in a 200k john deere today, and it was no better than our 80k tractor; arguably worse. i drove a jcb tractor a few times, and was indeed blown away; its amazing how the jcb machines are so unlike and so much better than the rest. i have heard that jcb is dealing on selling/trading their sweet rear suspension componentry to deere. their tractor is what got me interested in their skid steer. kss, would you buy a jcb telescopic handler?

so what about fuel savings over your big case? could amount to 16k or so on a 40k machine over 4 years. seems significant.

what about safety? do you get out of your skid steer with the boom up?

what about just the plain sweetness of the quiet (that no one else has) comfortable large cab? the quietness alone, to me, the operator, is worth probably 3k. i would be willing to pay 3k extra to get a quiet machine over a loud one.

I don't know anything about telehandlers. There is a lot of Dairy farmers here that have them, but I have no experience them or anyones telehandler.

I don't know that you would see that much difference. My 465 Case has a 4.5 L engine and mulching it uses a lot of fuel but it makes alot power. However I doubt that anyones machine in a similar application would use much less if any. The TR320 uses a smaller displacement engine not sure about fuel usage. I put like 13 hours on a demo. I was doing a lot of difference jobs so it was hard to tell. However lets assume that a JCB gets a gallon an hour better than my CASE machines or anyone elses machine, if you counted the fuel usage to 2k hours you would be looking at an additional $7K over that 2000 hours. An hour a gallon is a lot, I doubt you would see that kind of improvement.

I get out under the boom. I give the safety advantage to JCB without a doubt. I am not sure how many have been hurt by the boom, I have seen a few on a OSHA publication once. I think you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightening but I acknowledge that the JCB is the safest skid steer on the market. However thats not enough to make me sign on the line for one.

The new CASE cab is quiet and roomy, the CAT cab is as well. I sat in the JCB cab and its nice inside. What is the decible rating in the JCB?