• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who builds the best Skid Steer and Why

ih100

I've only been on 216, 226, and 272 wheeled, 257 tracked Cats. In the dim and distant past a couple of Bobcats, the numbers evading my memory. I remember the Bobcats were nice to operate and reasonable visibility. The Cats, all within the last five years, various experiences. The 272 is planted as a rock, but hard on the tyres for the same reason, but very powerful and capable of carrying a much bigger bucket. The 226, good balance and power, no issues, the 216, crap handling. Suprising as the dimensions look the same. The 257 is no more a wheeled machine with tracks thrown on than any other make. Never had any great issues, apart from the track wear. We're running on concrete with a bucket and the tracks have lasted 850 hours. The sprockets had to be partly rebuilt at 500. I like the balance and handling, though. We can stick anyone on it and they generally pick it up in a very short time.

hounddoglily

I think Bob Cat has built a good all around reputation. I also think most of these Skidsteers have there UPs and Downs. Hope you find the right fit!
(Did i say Bob Cat!!!)

casekiller

I have been with my company for going on 11 years and we have owned 4 Case skid steer's 1840's,40XT and now a SR175. We work them on concrete pavement. The Case machines have always been good to us, the other departments have had almost twice as many machines as we have. They should make it a PROVING ground for all skid steer's. They have burned up more engines than I can count on one hand,just because of neglect. The Bobcat was the worst, not knocking them just were not built as well as the Case for what it is used for. The new Case machines...I'm still out on that one. The SR175 with 250 hrs. is being a thorn in our side but they are all over it (Case) has stepped up and said there is a problem here and we will fix it. The plastic fan blades keep breaking apart and taking out the radiators and coolers. We have two new one's and they are both doing the same thing. They brought us a brand new machine yesterday to use until they resolve the problem..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have been with my company for going on 11 years and we have owned 4 Case skid steer's 1840's,40XT and now a SR175. We work them on concrete pavement. The Case machines have always been good to us, the other departments have had almost twice as many machines as we have. They should make it a PROVING ground for all skid steer's. They have burned up more engines than I can count on one hand,just because of neglect. The Bobcat was the worst, not knocking them just were not built as well as the Case for what it is used for. The new Case machines...I'm still out on that one. The SR175 with 250 hrs. is being a thorn in our side but they are all over it (Case) has stepped up and said there is a problem here and we will fix it. The plastic fan blades keep breaking apart and taking out the radiators and coolers. We have two new one's and they are both doing the same thing. They brought us a brand new machine yesterday to use until they resolve the problem..

Thats been my experience as well. They all breakdown at some point, and I am admittely pretty demanding on both the machines and the dealer. Neither CASE or the dealer, has yet to let me down. Thats why I feel confident about ordering the TR320. If it isn't right, they will make it right. I think all the top tier OEMs build a competent machine, but they all have different strengths and weaknesses. The CASE machines traditionally have been a perfect fit for what we need these machines to do. I hoping that the new series continues with these strengths adds more to the list such as operator comfort which in the older machines has been less so than some of the competitive machines.

Colorado Digger

i wish the case dealer was stronger in our area. i only hear great things about their machines. i would like to start checking out some other brands.

ctheddy

Many good post, lots of interesting thoughts and information. I will say this. I have been the proud owner of JCB Robot (2), Cat 262 B , and 1845c that never would die. Currently own a bobcat s300 Cat 257b rub track Case 440c. I have put thousands of hours on these machines and made countless onsite and to the shop repairs. I wont be the first to say, It depends on what you want to do with your machine, and who's running it... I will say this, call all your local dealers, every last one, regardless of the brand and ask for the shop service manager... can you get him? is he knowledgeable ? All machines break at some point, question is who is going to get you running the quickest. Of all the machines I have had, Bobcat takes the cake...hands down, they have a lot of dealerships scattered about and a rock of a machine, bobcat 300 in t or s models are tanks for the money... I will be strongly considering a Tak on the next go around but the new M series from bobcat will be tough to beat. Bobcats have many benefits for you guys out there paying some kid 10 bucks an hour to run one in the dirt all day. Cycle times are a bit slower, move a bit mare lethargic which equal more house on their foundations mail boxes standing lol the list goes on but that's another topic. Get the gold package, cab heat/air .You'll be glad you did. The Cat 257 is simply awesome for light work, has amazing agility and ground speed. Its certainly capable of of heavy work but the tracks and undercarriage will break you if you do. The case has been a good machine, not a lot of use but very strong...you need hearing protection because its loud, hydraulic pump sounds like its about to blow, just the way they are...

0u812

In my opinion it depends on the application that you are using it for. Do you need a vertical lift machine or a radial lift machine? Do you need High Flow or standard flow? What type of dirt do you have? Does the ground freeze or just get muddy? Nobody makes a bad machine in my opinion they all have their benefits. I have owned and do own more machines that I care to count. Its all about preference and conditions in which you are working. If you are doing a great deal of ground engaging I prefer radial lift machines. If you are mainly lifting/loading then it would be wise to choose a vertical lift machine. When choosing a size you then need to analyze what your going to be doing. Landscaping? Grading? Clearing? The bigger you go the more expensive maintenance is (servicing, tracks, tires, attachments for a good attachment) and the more fuel you will burn. All of these things need to be taken into consideration. I do recommend staying with a big name machine such as mustang, gehl, takeuchi, cat, bobcat, case, or new holland. You also need to think about after sale. Price of parts and dealer service.

pumba

Occupation
truck driver mechanic machine operator
anything named or logoed or anything to with cats are well you know what I mean but the case 440 series tracked skidders are pure mean I pushed a side dumper trailer and truck out of a jam with one but a Volvo aint that bad i had a crown vic on the forks didn't even lift the back wheels up heavy lifters heavy counter weights caused wheelies all the time and that is my two cents
also the case had a 4bt cummins engine

Lil' Puss

CAT! If you have to ask why then you don't understand. Nobody's machine is perfect, and they break - not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN".
With a question like that the OP will ultimately get a high score for every machine ever built because every owner/operator has different skill sets and all are not equal.
So, I must ask the OP: Do you own/operate a skid steer? If not, do you intend to purchase one? Have you any experience operating one? Do/would you do your own maintenance or take it to a professional shop/dealer? I'm thinking you will be able to get a more accurate assessment by asking a direct question.

Coldsmokin

Bobcat a300 hands down ... Great reliable power, 4 wheel steer or skid, comfy air ride seat option, cheap(ish) parts,
Most attachments available, most room in the cab, easy to work on, easy to service, and bobcats are everywhere!!!

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
……….. If you have to ask why then you don't understand. Nobody's machine is perfect, and they break - not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN".
With a question like that the OP will ultimately get a high score for every machine ever built because every owner/operator has different skill sets and all are not equal.
So, I must ask the OP: Do you own/operate a skid steer? If not, do you intend to purchase one? Have you any experience operating one? Do/would you do your own maintenance or take it to a professional shop/dealer? I'm thinking you will be able to get a more accurate assessment by asking a direct question.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:drinkup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:

Last edited:

gwhammy

I've owned almost 40 different bobcats, all sizes. Some of them were not very good machines and others never caused one problem. 743's 53's were real good little machines, ran some 3000 hrs. without replacing so much as a belt or hose. The late 863's were one of my favorite machines, balance and decent power. I had a 953 that wasn't bad after turning the power up. I don't like the s220 very well I have now but stuck with it till it's time to trade in. The newer ones have to much electronics on them for me. If I could find a real nice late 863 with cab and air I would probably buy it.

Balotelli

I agree with grandpa. I use a 743 bobcat that my dad bought in the early 80s. He used it in the heat of South Carolina to build houses and around the farm. It has almost 18000 hours on it( not lying) and I haven't had any problems with it. We still use it for hauling wood and dirt. It can still push around the halves of the big pines we have around the house. Bobcats are built tough and to last.

ttazzman

I like the older Gehls......simple ...tough.....t handle controls i thought were some of the best in the market ....minimal electronics.......the older Bobcats were fine too cept i hated the foot/lever controls....new operators had a longer learning curve on them...

new stuff i still like the simple/toughness and price points of the Gehls and Tachs...

dave esterns

who makes the best machine? bobcat. they have sold a million of them and know what they are doing. do they build the nicest machine? probably not. we are buying a new s590 with kubota engine with standard hand foot controls to supplement the jcb. bobcats can do more with less hp than their competition. all of their drive and hydraulics all work seamlessly and efficiently together toward a common goal.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
What made you decide to do the BC over the JCB?

dave esterns

We still have the Jcb... But now we have the bobcat too. The Jcb is quite a bit nicer than the bobcat but the bobcat is well a bobcat. They are super reliable durable high quality simple machines that you can depend on with your life. Since we probably won't put too many hours on a second machine I would not be surprised if we keep it for 20 years with no problems. At the end of the day the bobcat hand foot controls are the superior way to control your machine. Although I feel I can keep up to the average bobcat driving speed with joysticks, if I'm in a hurry I can run circles around a joystick machine if I'm in the bobcat. Another reason we purchased hand foot is because I am apparently the only farmer in the county capable of learning how to drive a joystick machine. And me being the only person who knows how to drive the skid steer is problematic at best. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some bugs to work out of the doosan engine that may temporarily effect their reliability.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Why is hand and foot controls a superior way to control a skid steer?