• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Still piddling with this 5 acres I had clear cut 7 years ago. Today was a breakthrough where I think I dug out the final stump and I can now see the back from the front through the volunteer regrowth. Most of these trees are infected with Fusiform Rust so I will eventually get most of them down too.
IMG_20240214_120821842_HDR.jpg

Every time I work with the backhoe or tractor I get one of these little birds that gets right under me hoping for a free grub. They score every now and then and so far I haven't hit one while digging.

IMG_20240214_113705051_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20240214_113705051_HDR~2.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Every time I work with the backhoe or tractor I get one of these little birds that gets right under me hoping for a free grub
My neighbor used to have chickens that were on my property more than theirs. Anyhow, when I would dig with any of my machines they would come running. I would assume they were getting something good the way they high tailed it over to my dig site. I didnt mind, but at times they made it tough to dig...I am sure they were thinking I was a pain with that bucket causing them to run away. They came rite back tho...persistant little buggers...LOL

ianjoub

Most of these trees are infected with Fusiform Rust so I will eventually get most of them down too.
I am in FL and have never heard of that. What is it? Is it just in long leaf pine?

Ok, did my own googling:

"Loblolly and slash pines are the most affected tree species. Longleaf is fairly resistant; shortleaf is highly resistant. Oak isthe alternate host."

aighead

Looking nice NH! We are working on a similar project to see the back of the property from the house. My property is kind of split at the creek where it was forested with honeysuckle. My wife has been clearing a lot of it out so we can see the back tree line, making the "yard" look a lot bigger. Also, that pile was hoed together with all the scrub that was cleared from the other side and is awaiting a good fire.

100DRONE_SING0073_20240211001426.JPG

You can kind of see how grown up this area was before.

20210508_195206.jpg

Last edited:

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
JD standing by to feed the pile as needed. We are allowed piles up to 8 feet without a permit so I just stick with that. Permits aren't that hard to get but the last time I called I got tired of answering all the questions.IMG_20240215_131948261_HDR.jpg

aighead

For fire? I understand, but that's bullsh!t. You could have a burning man style fire there and be fine.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Last week I was thinking how nice the air suspension seat was. Sunday I drove the hoe 8 miles, some of it on very rough potholed road. I was smugly enjoying my air ride seat, fine tuning it so my ample body didn't bottom it out or bounce to the limit of travel.
Monday afternoon I brought it home, same thing.

Yesterday evening it wouldn't pump up It was fully bottomed. Pump made the usual noise, but no inflation.

aighead

On Sunday we went out to work a bit more on that area I mentioned above. The story goes that there used to be a guy that lived in a bus back in this area, probably at least 25-30 years ago. I'm not sure if it was him or just a dumping ground for the previous owners but we've found a fair amount of metal waste- chain link fence, fence posts (both metal and wood), railroad ties, and other assorted crap, so it was time to get in there, remove the honeysuckle stumps, and dig a hole to toss all this junk into. My first hole was not big enough so I dug another attached to it. We tossed all the junk in there then realized that the downed tree was covering even more, so I'll repeat the removes stump, dig a quite large hole and toss junk into it. I'll probably have to extract that tree first, and it's a biggie! It's also kind of floating, so I'm not positive how it'll come out.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Hey Aighead....things look pretty dry there?? Good to see your getting some things done!
We are just losing the snowpack here. Have not had any frost depth to speak of all season.... but we are too wet to work anything just yet... unless you wanted to make a mud mess ;)

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Found something for the hoe to do while keeping out of the mud!

I recently built a generator for my someday to be built pole barn :confused:

I was surfing Facebook Marketplace and found an OLD trailer that fit the bill exactly to be the carrier. When I got it home (on top of my other trailer) I noticed the suspension was badly worn. I never intend this trailer to be on the road, but given my luck it would fall apart at the worst time, so I purchased new parts. They are actually very inexpensive. Shipping was $20 tho:(

Anyhow, the hoe was used to flip the trailer over to aid in the work:D

Repair was quick and easy

Hoe got to flip it back over again...Good like new!

See, no mud:)
20240203_141539.jpg
20240203_141524.jpg
20240216_154628.jpg
20240216_154620.jpg

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Nice find on da spacebook..... and did you get that up here in PA?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Nice find on da spacebook..... and did you get that up here in PA?
Actually found it up in north jersey. Picked it up on my way to the PA house.

It is really stout. I am pleased with it. Gonna clean it up and paint it in the coming months.

Welder Dave

It's an odd build. The channel isn't mounted the strongest way which would be vertical. If the outside frame is vertical channel would add a lot of strength though.