• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It's an odd build. The channel isn't mounted the strongest way which would be vertical. If the outside frame is vertical channel would add a lot of strength though.
Agreed. There is an angle iron frame in addition to the channel and flat stock. The generator assembly is ~1500 pounds, as a guess.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I would take my engine degreaser nozzle and a gallon of phosphoric acid to that thing.
I intend to do it up. Was also thinking woolwax over it when done. I gotta tell you tho, this trailer is, guessing, 60s-70s vintage, and all that is there is surface rust. On the other hand, my 2006 ram 3500 has a hole rotted thru the frame....hmmm!

The top side paint is completely covered in mold. No rust, again. Gonna sweeten that up too.

The reason I purchased it is because it is narrow, exactly what I need. To buy just 2 custom narrow axles would have cost much more than I paid.

aighead

T-town- It's been a little squishy here but not too bad. We've only (until about 2 hours ago) had a little rain and snow. I should have waited another day or two to let the bridge dry out. I fear it is breaking apart already, I can feel the back of the backhoe lean a fair amount into a rut when going across the bridge and I don't like it. I didn't find any water in the hole I dug at all, even though it's only maybe 20 feet from the creek. I guess that little slope drains pretty well. It's almost all dirt too, only a few potato sized rocks, and one volleyball sized one, boo!

I really need to talk myself into finishing my rock screener, so I can start harvesting rocks for yet another bridge rebuild. I wanted to do it (more) right this time but I wasn't getting it done and we wanted access to the back field... I think I may need to divert the creek somehow for the next time. To do it right I'll probably have to widen it substantially to get some bigger rocks in there and like invest in some gabion baskets like I should have done this time.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Swetz,
What kind of generator did you buy that needs a trailer that stout? Seems overkill for 1500 lbs.

My MEP803A diesel generator is 1100lbs dry but I just have it on patio pads behind the garage.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
What kind of generator did you buy that needs a trailer that stout? Seems overkill for 1500 lbs.
I agree, it is overkill. What I liked about it is that it is narrow, and balanced to the point it will stay flat without a jack because of the tandem axles.

I built this generator from scratch....prolly overbuilt too:)

I used a Perkins 3 cylinder diesel. The actual generator is a Stamford SOL1-P41. It is a single phase unit. Welded up a frame and wired up the engine and generator head, and added a fuel tank. Works nice. My first build so may not be done perfect...think prototype...LOL

eKretz

So you stole it?

No, I asked first. Was an old neighbor of mine that sold the property to a church next door. The church didn't maintain the house well and the basement filled with water and mold got everywhere, walls started buckling. They decided to just tear it down instead of fixing it. Once I found out, I asked the guy in charge of the property if I could have it and he said "Sure, otherwise it's just going to go in the dumpster."

eKretz

Good you saved it. Just needs a bit of an addition so your hoe can fit in it.

I figured I'd put my baby John Deere tractor in there. Along with the kids' dirt bike, bicycles and a few other odds and ends. Will clear out some *much* needed space in my detached garage. Still need to get something for the hoe; leaning toward a new outbuilding maybe this summer or fall.

20190716_115844.jpg

eKretz

I was digging out some stumps with the 555D yesterday and in the middle of a medium sized mulberry stump got a pretty decent oil leak on the dipper cylinder, pretty sure it's the end gland, only leaks when under retract pressure. Stops when fully extended under pressure. Looked up seal kits and man, there are a bunch of different ones listed for a 555D. Do you just need to pull it apart first to see what bore size and groove diameters and widths you've got? Crazy.

eKretz

Yeah, even Messick's doesn't have anything that really points me in the right direction. Guess I'm just going to pull the cylinder and take it apart, take some measurements.