• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Yeah, even Messick's doesn't have anything that really points me in the right direction. Guess I'm just going to pull the cylinder and take it apart, take some measurements.
You can try calling them with your model and serial number to see if they can decipher it.

Don't be surprised if they say you have to replace the piston and gland.

If you have a hydraulic shop in the area you can possibly take the piston and gland to them and get the seals matched up.

eKretz

After looking a little more closely, it looks like there are two different glands/pistons with differing seals. The earlier version and the "updated" version with larger seals. I'll try giving both of those places a ring and see what they say.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Messicks is showing the cylinder below. As we have found with the E series, New holland wants you to upgrade the cylinder. I say try not to. If CEA and Messicks cannot help, I would see if you could purchase locally. If they will not sell you the seals, I would pull the rod out and offer to have them repack it, and you put it back together. That is a hefty cylinder, no need to take the whole thing out, unless you cannot get it appart.

1709650382300.png
1709650407187.png

eKretz

I figured it'd be easier to work on if I just pull it out and get it to a comfortable working height, especially as I've had a few back surgeries. I'll probably be doing this a couple hours at a time due to limitations arising from that. I parked on a hill and extended the hoe out behind the machine to get the dipper cylinder low and near horizontal, then bit the bucket down into the dirt to hold everything in place. I think I can use the loader on my little tractor to lift it out. I did call a local hydraulic shop and they wanted $500ish to R&R the seals if I bring the cylinder in. Rather do it myself for that much.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
When I did mine, I dug a hole and put the bucket at the bottom. Was much lower and almost parrell with the ground.

With a bad back, I would find a young strapping buck, if possible, to help crack the gland nut lo0se!

I did call a local hydraulic shop and they wanted $500ish to R&R the seals if I bring the cylinder in.
I agree. Better to do it yourself. My point was that if you cannot find the correct kit, instead of purchasing the updated gland and piston, as well as the $330 dollar seal kit, it would probably be cheaper to have them do it.

Trust me, New Holland didnt update the gland because the old one was crap, they did it to be able to bring all cylinders to the point that they would take the same kit....better for them, not so good for us!!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
LOL NH575E, we were typing the same thing at the same time :)

aighead

I can confirm that one and the boom cylinder are not too much fun to move around. It would have been smart to dig a hole.

eKretz

Gosh darn it. Went ahead and dug the pit out. Wouldn't you know it my first scoop after getting about 2 feet down was solid clay. Had fun getting that out of the bucket!

aighead

I'll trade you both just normal dirt for rocks and clay! I feel the weight per area will likely be a bit off though, and I'd have to go back and buy dirt to fill in the holes I'd make, or lower the level of my back field.

eKretz

I will trade you rocks for clay:D

Depends on the size of the rocks... At least they fall out of the GD bucket! This particular clay was nasty; packed in tight and moist but very dense. Had to take it out with a pick and hammer a little bit at a time. After that packed in nightmare I went a little slower and more carefully and had less trouble. Tried donking the bucket down against a stump several times prior to that, didn't do squat.

aighead

If I were on the other side of the creek my hole would have been a well also. I was on the upper part of the yard and surprised, even with the rain we've been getting, how dry it was. Most places I get about 5 feet down and water starts seeping in. I should install a well for free(ish) water.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I could dig 75 feet to reach wet. Neighbors down the road have a nightmare with wet basements. Six homes at the same elevation have growing trouble with cellar water. Some have filled their cellars with gravel. They now have wet crawl spaces. One just this winter spent ? $20,000 to cut holes (against my advice) in the cellar floor, install a basket with two big pumps.
These pumps moved ?50,000 gallons a day to the lawn, where it pooled, forming a small lake shared on the lawns of him & his neighbor, then swamping the next house, a derelict dump. It then ran across the town paved road flooding a corner of yet another lawn.

He asked: "Now what do I do?" I wasn't able to convince him to turn off the new pumps. Only option is a drain. Adjacent neighbor was all in favor if he could use the drain. The next dump was unable to get to his car without a raft was in favor. The pipe is inside the Town Road Right Of Way. The Town Clerk was up in arms
Nobody approached him for a permit. They drained it into a stream runs parallel to the town road, which empties into Otter Creek. I pointed out to the Town Clerk that it was NOT his decision. Despite the fact he could obstruct a necessary drain indefinately, because the Town has no such permit system in place, It was ultimately the decision of the Select Men. All Select Men were in favor, but couldn't give a permit, no permit system is in place.
As for draining into a stream: All waterways & bodies of water belong to the State of Vermont, even those entirely in the boundaries of the National Forest. Been a number of court cases where the Federals lost.
Feds prohibited snowmobiles on lakes within the National Forest. State of Vermont won that battle, so the Feds prohibited snowmobiles on dry land surrounding the lake.