• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Been spending so much time taking trees down...... figured I needed to put some back.

KIMG0095.JPG

KIMG0096.JPG

.... a couple two 'trees'.....

These were left over seedlings from the local county Conservation District ( soil guys) that I took home some 6-7 years ago. Bounced around several pots ... finally 'heeled' them into some soil on the property two years ago. About a dozen.... Norway Spruce. Figured fall is for planting, and we are getting some rain tomorrow.... so the time was right as they say.
They are getting a bit large for the hoe bucket. Have to get the rest put in someplace soon.

There are not many native evergreens on this section of mountain.... Penn's woods was a (white) pine forest a long time ago. They cut them all down.... clearcut the whole state almost. Oaks took over after that.

Bootheal

T-town, you have done well with your seedlings. It looks great. Trees are a little like kids, where ever you plant them, they are going to try to grow. My wife would get seedlings around Arbor Day that we (she) would scatter out on the place. One year she had a cypress left over and asked where to plant it. Recent rain had made everything very wet so we planted it a couple hundred feet from the house (temporarily). It’s now close to 50’ tall and over 24” on the stump. Pretty sure it’s found a home! So now, the mower has to keep the knees ground down but it’s a great tree. Have the cypress balls to deal with but so far they are tolerable. I probably prefer oaks and hardwoods but we need all kinds. Congratulations on being able and smart enough to transplant your good looking Spruce.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Thanks Bootheal

These were 'Arbor Day' seedlings too. Each spring the Conservation District has a plant sale by preorder. All kinds of native species of trees and shrubs.
They also get a ton of these spruce seedlings and those are given out to all the elementary students in our district ( retired science teacher). My guys ( high school) would gladly get out of classes to go down to the local fire house to place individual seedlings into plastic sandwich bags with some dirt, and those are taken to the schools to hand out.
I'm on the lookout for some Larch,,,,,, or Tamarack...... one of two 'evergreens' that drop all their needles each fall. I think 'Bald Cypress is the other. Have some seeds that I collected.... not sure if that will work next spring or not.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
When you run out of bald cypress seed, I would be very willing to resupply your stash.
Wife has been wanting some trees that change color in the fall. Looks like the Bald Cypress will grow without being in a swamp so I just ordered 25 seeds online. They only charged $3 for the seeds and $3.50 first class shipping.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
T-town, looking good. You are inspiring me. I have been talking about getting an evergreen tree or 2, to put in my front lawn. My neighbor has tons of them around his house, and they are huge. I just want a couple, and not near my house like he has. BTW, I see the water/mud in the pic. The standing water/mud has once again stopped me from my work on the garage/shop pad. I am hoping once it gets cold, I will get back to work...course digging stumps will be difficult then.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Yeah Swetz,
.... a bit of water around this past weekend from the days before. Gettin a bunch today that will shut things down for awhile. The water in the pic is puddled in a future planting bed....and I stirred it up a bit grabbing some top soil for the tree. the spruce will anchor the backside of a planting.... the front of which borders the driveway. This bed contains the 'rocks' that were too big for me to move so they dictated the location of the driveway. Want to add a sugar maple to the bed... trees at back corners. That's the plan anyway. Then some shrubs. Have to check with "Tim" the 'shrubber' about some of those selections. Weed fabric and mulch on the whole 'island'.

Hope to get back at a boulder retaining wall this week if it drys up fast enough.
I must say that with all the dirt I have moved so far, the water runoff management has worked. And the neat thing is I started at the 'low end' of things and worked my way uphill. All by eye on the slope. Just watched the water when it rained Have only used a laser level on the very top (house site) and to get the barn pad at a good elevation. Total about 2 acres of work. I did not get a Soil/Erosion permit though.... luckily I am off the road and 'out of site' as they say. Of course I have one heck of riparian buffer goin on so no soil leaving this site.... even without the silt fence.
The site does dry out pretty quick as a result of not having water sit anywhere. I could go up tomorrow and get some trees down, but one my saws is in the shop so I will give it some more time.

And Bootheel..... the seeds I have are from a Larch....

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
Look at those rocks with nice flat sides ! I'm envious !

Around here it's like trying to build something out of beach balls.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
Are you going to tell ? Aighead is looking for Any big rocks...I'm always hunting for ones with just a slighty flat side or two.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Are you going to tell ? Aighead is looking for Any big rocks...I'm always hunting for ones with just a slighty flat side or two.
Sure! People beg me to tell less!
For retaining walls sort your boulders.
A base row of the biggest vaguely round ones starts your wall.
Fill to level behind these with whatever you got. If it is stone providing drainage, no drain tile is needed. If you will fill behind with something that doesn't facilitate drainage, place a 4" drain behind.
Next layer is next size smaller boulders, placed behind the tallest point of the first row. Again, fill behind these, but there may be gaps between these will need rubble stone to fill between.
You could go pretty high if you keep the center of base of each row behind top point of lower row.

These retaining walls do fail eventually in ground freezing territory if you don't drain them. Those that last longest are nothing but drainage encouraging stone several feet behind.

Fence style stone walls are only a matter of not too vertical on either side. Put them where they fit.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Today, my hoe is leaking!
Both hoes are in sick bay.
The JD 410C equipped with Stanadyne injection pump is in "flex ring" failure. It is for the moment on standby only duty.
The Case 580K I've had 14 years has had a Case dealer repack of the boom cylinder several years ago, took to spewing oil today.
Last round, it was an out of the machine, haul it to the dealer repair.
I've had two of these machines, each has had a boom cylinder issue before.
First had a dent in the cylinder we believe was a bullet. It ruined the tube, and the piston. Repair was sort of a big deal.
If I remember correctly, this one was a nightmare getting the gland out, the thread is fine & long, it had been treated with red Loctite!
Shouldn't be as bad this time.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Collecting rocks for retaining wall on new build. I wish I had a thumb. Been using straps to lift with backhoe and then put in UTV for transport.

I've been pretty happy with the 36" Titan Weld On Thumb. Not as convenient as a hydraulic unit but I have learned to work with it extended so I never have to fold it to the stored position. It took practice but I can even dig stumps without stowing it now.

IMG_1316.JPG