1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What's your hoe doing?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by aighead, Sep 13, 2019.

1. aighead

aighead Senior Member

@Willie B I was initially planning to go that route but I don't trust my little welder (not to mention my skill level) to make a sufficient weld for those hooks. I'd rather your style of flip down forks with the bar, but having something trumped waiting around to find a welder, and bar, and forks. Long term this will likely be my solution too. God knows my wife likes more things sitting in the yard!

Fred from MO and NH575E like this.
  2. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Mine are commercially built. I don't know by whom. If building yours, I believe you'd be best off with 1/8" 7018. This does NOT require a big welder.

I once borrowed the clamp on style. I was NOT happy with them!

3. aighead

aighead Senior Member

You saying the forks themselves are 1/8" 7018?

I'm more concerned with the hooks and probably a plate to weld to the loader bucket and hooks to. My little 120v welder won't weld the hooks on well enough would it?

4. Swetz

Swetz Senior Member

Electric & Gas Company
    aighead,
    This is how I keep my forks straight. Even with the bar between them that NH575E has in his pics did not stop mine from pivoting. The properly positioned plate seems to do the job to keep them straight.
    Slide1.PNG Slide2.PNG

I have attached a link to the style I would purchase for a full size tractor. They are a bit spendy, but come with the hooks that are welded to your bucket.
    https://www.everythingattachments.c...m#:~:text= Item Number , 7 3 more rows

aighead likes this.
  5. NH575E

NH575E Senior Member

Retired Machinist
    Pretty sure he is referring to a rod type and size for a buzz box type welder.

I'm sure you've seen my thread on my weld on thumb but just to bring it back to life you can weld almost anything if you prepare and make multiple passes when needed. I welded this on with a 100 amp 120 volt mig welder back in 2016 and it is holding fine. It may not be professional or pretty looking but it is plenty strong and functional.

IMG_1309.JPG

I don't like to advocate for this company but for the saving they sometimes offer I'm not opposed to buying from them. Past experience has taught me to pay with paypal or buy through eBay for protection when dealing with them.
    This is their 4000 lb rated solid forks with a 72" wide rod and hooks for $772.
    https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...x48-inch-over-the-bucket-fork-kit/141920.html

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    aighead likes this.
  6. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    No, to fabricate the forks. I'd want more than 120 volt machine.

Fred from MO and aighead like this.
  7. aighead

aighead Senior Member

@Swetz and @NH575E Yup, you guys both posted the more expensive version that I'd really like but can't justify the expense of yet.

Swetz, thanks for the pictures and description, that appears to be a decent fix for those sliding around! Maybe not fool-proof but better.

NH575E, I think about your post and thumb pretty frequently, it's another thing I'd like eventually. It certainly looks like it'd make moving logs on or off piles or whatever a lot easier. I just have a little Lincoln MIG welder, similar to what you used?

@Willie B Got it. Long term the bar and fold down forks are the solution I'll choose.

8. csthompson12

csthompson12 Well-Known Member

aighead likes this.
  9. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Thanks for the tip! I may have to try it!

10. Fred from MO

Fred from MO Well-Known Member

Engineer
    The thumb has come in handy with this years wood harvest. No more bending over or rolling logs. Best part is I tought my son to use upload_2020-12-29_18-0-22.png the chainsaw. WaAY better now.

boone, Honcho, aighead and 1 other person like this.
  11. roadrunner81

roadrunner81 Senior Member

Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
    20201215_105839.jpg 20201215_123410.jpg
    My Hoe is assisting with the backfill and compaction of a new side sewer.

Honcho and aighead like this.
  12. Honcho

Honcho Well-Known Member

Our fitters work without protection sheild. Sometimes they work 2-3 meter deep. I m affraid for them/.

aighead likes this.
  13. Honcho

Honcho Well-Known Member

14. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    The rule of thumb is 4' (1.3 meters). The actual rules are complicated, but deeper, you need shoring, or terrace back the bank. I willingly waste time digging back the sides of the ditch. I don't want anybody getting hurt.

15. roadrunner81

roadrunner81 Senior Member

Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
    Well I plan on going home everyday. This service was 12' deep and the sandy soil started falling in at about the 6' mark. Shoring is cheap insurance as long as it's used properly and everyone gets to go home at the end of the day. Qualified pipelayers are hard to come by now days so I find myself doing most of our pipe work within right of ways or runs that will be tested.

Honcho likes this.
  16. aighead

aighead Senior Member

My hoe buried another horse yesterday.

17. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    Hopefully it wasn't one of yours...you sometimes get attached to them damn hayburners as you do a good dog.....dated a chick once with horses and they kinda grow on ya.....

aighead likes this.
  18. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Nope, wasn't mine. I buried one for this same lady, down the road from me, who said "yeah, all those horses out there are over 20 years old" as I gave her my phone number... I think horse life is a bit longer than 20 years but it sounds like she's expecting more any time now.

19. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I knew a girl, had a 29 year old mare. Everybody thought she was dying one night. She gave birth. I'm not sure how much longer she lived after that.

20. Honcho

Honcho Well-Known Member

First under table job this year. A guy came up to me and asked for help, right when I was going back to garage. I called to mechanic and told im my tire is flat and I d be late.

Mr580backhoe! likes this.