• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats your favorite thing to do with a dozer?

reddog848

Occupation
retired
Red on dozer.jpg
Like to do just about anything we can with this little dozer. Been covering (filling in) my old pond and clearing trees and brush. :mad:Makes me want a bigger dozer sometimes but not often.....all day on 5 gallons of fuel:):)

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
My Favorite Thing on a Dozer

My favorite thing to do on a dozer is work on it. Sometimes I'm happy all day long!!!:D

JimInOz

Chaining scrub

Hi, D6Peg.
I did a bit of chaining in my younger days, using everything from D4D's to D8H's. With the D8's, we were pulling 600 feet of 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" chain and often cutting 400 feet wide - up to 1,200 acres per day. Makes a big dent in a 6,000 acre soon-to-be farm in a week.

We often had to wire long poles with flags to the rear legs of the timber canopies on the dozers to be able to see them, one from the other. Sometimes, even that didn't work and you would be wandering through the bush with only the 'hang' of the chain behind the machine to give you any clue at all about where your mate might be. In those situations, you got to see each other at the end of each side of the block you were clearing, as you both broke through into the clear. If one broke through first, he had the wait for the other to show before turning the corner or backing up to dive into the bush to start the next cut.

Heavy timber was interesting too. We'd drop a lot of the chain off, still leaving us enough to keep the machines clear of the falling trees. In real heavy going we would have a chaser dozer with a tree pusher bar following the chain to take care of any bigger trees that stopped the chain. Now THAT was a rough job, running that chaser dozer.

Fun times, sadly now a bygone era here in DownUnder. Still, I s'pose yer gotta leave a few apartment blocks around for the birds and the possums.

Have you got your ticket booked yet for Alaska? LOL.

I wonder if this TD20 Drott operator is the "Chaser" guy that DEAS mentioned.
I'm guessing he's about to lift that big chain partway up the trunk of that tree.
Nice to see a Drott in action in the bush.This one looks well equipped.

Two things I never saw....Chaining & cable blade dozers working.

Deas Plant

Chaser.

Hi, JimInOz.
With a rake like that on that machine, lifting the chain is about all he is going to be able to do.

Yes, I'd say that chasing is his task in that photo but that rake looks like it would be better suited to a TD6 or, at the very most, a TD9. On that TD20, it looks almost as much use as a curry comb. No joke.

There are few things with as much potential for grief and tears and lost time as an inadequate rake in heavy timber.

Hmmmmmm. Lucky me, I got to do both the chaining thing and the cable blade thing, not to mention the cable drawn scraper thing AND the cable drawn ripper and cable mounted ripper things as well.