• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats your favorite thing to do with a dozer?

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
I like ripping and bulking dirt, clearing very steep slopes, cuts and fills to finish grade.
The thing I dislike the most is working around an obsticle course like horribly placed grade stakes, and semi finished roads with utilities installed, manhole covers and the like. And clearing in swamps.

How about the rest of you guys?

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
for me running rootrake & winching loggs & feeding burning pit (small & medium dozers)On landclearing jobs & finish grading around houses & buildings w/ a small dozer no bigger than a D4 OR D5 .

later yall :cool:

Bulldog

itsgottobegreen

RUNNING OVER STUFF AND CRUSHING IT!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup Other wise pushing a big pile, listening to the engine grunt while it blowed dark black smoke.

Wolf

Demo with a Loader or Dozer

What kinda stuff do you get to crush, its gotta be?

I love doing demo, especially with a loader, but also fun to push over an old house with a dozer too, LOL. Crunch it up is a blast.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
1st place:I would have to say stripping topsoil with a D9G/H or a 8K on oil lease sites. I love doin that. Money is no object to the oil boys.
2ND Place: I also enjoy pushing bush, a thick stand of canadian maples are very fun to work in, large trees with weak roots fall over very easily.
3rd Place: Pushing Pans in a large well managed dirt moving project, 30 631's and 6 D9H's, That was alot of fun too, just watching the dirt fly.

rino1494

We only own smaller dozers, so everything I do is fine grading. I have used friends larger dozers and doing bulk push is awesome.

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
striping topsoil and backfilling foundation fine grading topsoil for landscaping

surfer-joe

Pioneering is probably my favorite, stripping for coal or oil locations and pipelines too. Most any dirt job is cool unless the dozer is way too small for the job. Pushing lots of snow is way cool. Forestry work I generally like, though not in mucky underfoot or underwater conditions. Hate pulling those tow cables by hand thorough the muck.

Not crazy about pushing in rock anymore, dislike ripping really hard rock.

Punching scrapers is good, but don't like the fast-paced big production spreads anymore. One pushcat and three to six pans is alright. A big spread with 30 651's, 12 641's, 25 631's, 6 D9 pushcats and a host of support iron is fun to watch, not so fun to be part of.

Really dislike reclamation work pushing dirt up long steep slopes, then having to track it in. Boring! Cat and pan work is neat in good dirt, don't see much of that anymore.

Not crazy about fine grade work with small dozers either. Backfilling around basements or foundations for example. Grade stakes are just targets of opportunity.

Punching fires is about the worst besides cleaning up spills in a steel mill. Ya feel like a smoked cigar all day and smell worse. In the mill, there's a better than even chance you will become the fire. Did I mention working in a landfill? About a tie there for being at the bottom of the list.

Fact is, if it's not 400 horsepower or above with a nice air-conditioned cab, I really don't want to fool with it anymore. Getting too old I guess.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I have about 8 hours on a Deere 450G that I really didn't enjoy. I was busting the knob off a slope and moving it into the low spot of a 1/2 acre lot, a job a little too large for our skid steer at the time. Anyway, the 450 had the stupid dual lever steering which didn't work out for me, I could never keep one hand on the blade control. I think I'd probably be fine with a newer dozer that has a single joystick control or at least a machine I can steer with my feet, but I felt like I was struggling just to do 2 things at once. Anyone else ever had that issue?

If I had to guess what I'd enjoy with a dozer it would probably be out in the woods cutting road or something along those lines, maybe finish grade work. I'm a deadeye with a skid steer doing finish work, maybe one day I'll get there with a dozer.

Last edited:

TALLRICK

Definately lot clearing and demo. Running down weed trees and pushing over flimsy buldings. On land to be cleared there are usually junk cars, dumped furniture and appliances to crunch up. Too bad it's been such a long time!

nedly05

Anything rough, I am not much good at fine work with a dozer. I have only run JD lever steers. I did run a D5 once that was all glassed in with more modern controls, that was much more fun than the old 450. I like dozers, just need to work em to get good on em.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
You know what they say about equipment operators, they all need a strong right leg........ for giving the lowbed driver a swift kick in the rear end!

Occupation
Student
i like muddy soil,site clearing and fine grading.well, i like all thing to do with a dozer because we can see the power of the dozer in different soil/type of work.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Placing fill or in a mud hole with a swamp cat, I like doing intricate things too.

catd4g

Trees

Taking down a really big tree that is too big for the little 4 but doing it anyway and pushing it to the burn pile like it was nothing to it.
Hate the most finish grading and hitting a stump that did not get grubbed that was just barely covered and coming to a sudden stop. then have to root it out, now have this hole to fill which is sure to end up a low and soft spot.
Next in hate is 2 to 3 inch pines that just lay over.........

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I have about 8 hours on a Deere 450G that I really didn't enjoy. I was busting the knob off a slope and moving it into the low spot of a 1/2 acre lot, a job a little too large for our skid steer at the time. Anyway, the 450 had the stupid dual lever steering which didn't work out for me, I could never keep one hand on the blade control. I think I'd probably be fine with a newer dozer that has a single joystick control or at least a machine I can steer with my feet, but I felt like I was struggling just to do 2 things at once. Anyone else ever had that issue?

If I had to guess what I'd enjoy with a dozer it would probably be out in the woods cutting road or something along those lines, maybe finish grade work. I'm a deadeye with a skid steer doing finish work, maybe one day I'll get there with a dozer.

My 450D originally had pedal steer until I changed it to hand levers---I love my Deere and can make it dance--nothing better.

TALLRICK

So now there's a dozer with a single joystick control? No more levers and pedals...LOL! I guess they are all hydrostatic now!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
D6RXW hoggin' dirt on a short push. A D6NXL finishing slopes and cleaning up.
The best 2 parts of any job is unloading the first tractor and cutting in and loading the last tractor on the lowboy after the job is done.

biggixxerjim

I like grubbing, re spreading topsoil or making a deep cut with a u blade.

There's nothing like being on a big machine and watching earth roll over and pile up in front of the blade :cool: