• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats your favorite thing to do with a dozer?

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
You should hear the tracks on a d7r tracking down the hill at around 40+ mph! I know this is very bad on the undercarriage but all they want is production and I love it!!!

:badidea
:OMG

Mine is to make erosion control tracks on slopes.

d4c24a

any differance

Not backwards that would be scarry and I never used the brakes, I watched a guy do this on a side boom a few years ago and was amazed!

i cant see how the undercarridge does not self destruct at those speeds

Attachments

• NoBull.jpg
    NoBull.jpg
    1,014 bytes · Views: 659

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
since i gave up building roads and started working in this mine my new favorite thing is slot dozing. alot of people say its too boring one spot all the time, but i like it alot. just ripping and pushing out big loads. ive been doing it for 7 months now and my days seem to go by pretty fast still,unless im hung over then the first part goes by really fast get alot done then everything slows down and i cant wait to get off it.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I guess one of my favorite things to do is to chain cedars.
Two D7's and a massive anchor chain. What a way to spend the day.:)

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
jamming out to octane 20 on sirius, with the ac on

Eric

When the boss says " this is point A, that is point B, I don't care how you do it, I don't even wanna know, just get it done by quitting time." Sitting in a new 10T JAMMING the xm! Yeah baby!!!

Deas Plant

Chaining with dozers.

Hi, D6Peg.
I did a bit of chaining in my younger days, using everything from D4D's to D8H's. With the D8's, we were pulling 600 feet of 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" chain and often cutting 400 feet wide - up to 1,200 acres per day. Makes a big dent in a 6,000 acre soon-to-be farm in a week.

We often had to wire long poles with flags to the rear legs of the timber canopies on the dozers to be able to see them, one from the other. Sometimes, even that didn't work and you would be wandering through the bush with only the 'hang' of the chain behind the machine to give you any clue at all about where your mate might be. In those situations, you got to see each other at the end of each side of the block you were clearing, as you both broke through into the clear. If one broke through first, he had the wait for the other to show before turning the corner or backing up to dive into the bush to start the next cut.

Heavy timber was interesting too. We'd drop a lot of the chain off, still leaving us enough to keep the machines clear of the falling trees. In real heavy going we would have a chaser dozer with a tree pusher bar following the chain to take care of any bigger trees that stopped the chain. Now THAT was a rough job, running that chaser dozer.

Fun times, sadly now a bygone era here in DownUnder. Still, I s'pose yer gotta leave a few apartment blocks around for the birds and the possums.

Have you got your ticket booked yet for Alaska? LOL.

Last edited:

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
Deas,
Our chain is 350' long and the links are 6" x 13" and weigh 53 lbs each and I know what your talking about not being able to see each other. One time we had to put sucker rods from wind mill with red flags on the top to see each other before. I was helping a neighbor chain one time and I was in a our 6H and he was in a 9G and he turned and wrapped the chain around my right track, I was not happy.:mad: Depending on the thickness of the cedars we generally take a 50 to 80 foot swath and still can hang up the D7's. Here in our parts generally the thicker and bigger the trees are the better the job. We are raking now what we chained this year. It sure does take alot longer to rake than it does to chain.

Aint got my ticket booked yet but sure trying to talk the wife into it.:D

Have a good day!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
We are raking now what we chained this year. It sure does take alot longer to rake than it does to chain.

Do you have any pictures of the chaining? I've never seen it before, in real life, so I have to rely on pictures. Deas has posted some before but the more pictures, the better. :D

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
Countryboy,
Sorry, I have no pics but the next time we do some chaining I will try to get some. I gota get this pic posting down and put my digi to work. We will hopefully start sometime in the spring. For chaining to work really well it needs to be wet.

385Diggin' Doug

I would have to say:
1) Pushing 37's stripping w/the 9's

2) Doing short big yardage cuts and fills w/ the 8's & 9's

3) Banging out steep slopes on the finish side w/ the 5's & 6's

Dozers are a great change of pace but give me a 30' to 40' cut for sanitary up the middle of some little town road with utilities and obstructions at every turn.Double & triple stacked boxes,can't get enough.The deeper the better.:usa

IUOE Local 825 :usa

dieselsambo

Occupation
bridge work
pushing out mud and water. Building a dam and moving mud and water off a site to de-water it! also digging ponds deeper and reconstructing.

dieselsambo

Occupation
bridge work
I would have to say:
1) Pushing 37's stripping w/the 9's

2) Doing short big yardage cuts and fills w/ the 8's & 9's

3) Banging out steep slopes on the finish side w/ the 5's & 6's

Dozers are a great change of pace but give me a 30' to 40' cut for sanitary up the middle of some little town road with utilities and obstructions at every turn.Double & triple stacked boxes,can't get enough.The deeper the better.:usa

IUOE Local 825 :usa

Im on a job like that right now. well close- double boxes. gas, water, phone,power etc. oh yeah grd. water! IUOE 478

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dieselsambo! :drinkup

385Diggin' Doug

Im on a job like that right now. well close- double boxes. gas, water, phone,power etc. oh yeah grd. water! IUOE 478

Glad to hear it.The more challenging the better.Welcome to the forums.How does your local look going into the winter? What are you running on that project?

dieselsambo

Occupation
bridge work
Glad to hear it.The more challenging the better.Welcome to the forums.How does your local look going into the winter? What are you running on that project?

We are doing a 345kv line from norwalk to middletown ct. Were down 5' to 15' at times depending on conflicts. I'm running a new 322c with 500 hrs on it the d's are down here also nice machines. We will work thru taking time if you want it. Is that your local alongside the highway? We go to West Chester every year.

dirthog27

My favarite has to be finishing slopes. The steeper the better! Also supposed to be getting an oppurtunity next month to run a 9T with a 31 pan behind it. I can't wait!

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dirthog27! :drinkup