• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what pics of equipment do you want to see??

Pictures of Cat 830MB and Clark 290M

I just bought a Cat 830MB and would like to see pictures of them and Clark 290M's. I'm curious what the differences are between the two. Thanks!

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Then I'd go to biggestpieceofjunkintheworld.com for a closer look at those fine machines...:lmao :shf :popcorn

Just kidding...:D

Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
How do the quad-trac tractors perform against pneumatic-tired tractors on pans?

Just wondering how much more or less traction the quad tracs have in front of those pans as opposed to rubber-tired?

9420pullpan

Just wondering how much more or less traction the quad tracs have in front of those pans as opposed to rubber-tired?

the biggest advantage with the track type is the low ground pressure, better traction and flotation in soft/muddy conditions. the disadvantages is the cost and maintenance of the undercarraige. i have herd that the Case (cant afford something else) Quadra trac have many drivetrain problems

the advantages to a rubber tire is the cost
disadvantage punctures, less traction in wet/muddy conditions.

i had that 9420 for 3000 hrs and i could go pretty good in wet conditions but the bowl would get hung up.

I thing the best combination would be a JD 9520 with duals and an Eject pan with tracks. it isnt the tractor that gets stuck its the bowl that gets the tractor stuck....

heres a few pics

Track-hole-all-32.jpg

rubbercompare.jpg.jpg

Tandem-water1.jpg

I180Trk-unload1.jpg

bigblueox

what about some true track-type tractors pulling pans like McAnich uses. like d8 combos. anybody know what i'm taking about? i think they're drawbar type pans?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
what about some true track-type tractors pulling pans like McAnich uses. like d8 combos. anybody know what i'm taking about? i think they're drawbar type pans?

They are very good for short hauls, wet and or steep hauls. They're disatvantage is when the hauls start to get longer, keep in mind tracking around wears the undercarriage quite a bit. This is why McAninch also has a whole fleet of ADT's and excavators. :usa

9420pullpan

as far as the wear if a dozer is stripping topsoil all day or grading pads or running around pulling a pan all day as long as you have the tracks checked regularly to get the pins/bushings turned the wear is not that significant. i dont think McAninch would be using D9-D11's if they werent getting good wear out of the tracks....

bigblueox

sorry i should have formed that in more of a question. Do you have any pics of the combos i'm talking about. sorry. but i couldn't agree more with your statement pullpan

trainwreck

the 120 was on the rail truck for a job where we went into a tunnle and broke the roof out.

the loader is a 992A

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
as far as the wear if a dozer is stripping topsoil all day or grading pads or running around pulling a pan all day as long as you have the tracks checked regularly to get the pins/bushings turned the wear is not that significant. i dont think McAninch would be using D9-D11's if they werent getting good wear out of the tracks....

Good point, I guess I didn't think that one through very well:Banghead :beatsme Long day I suppose:pointhead Besides the first scrapers were ALL pulled by track type machines. Don't get me wrong, I admire just how well McAninch moves dirt and how efficient their pans are, but I'm pretty sure they are designed to excel at short hauls and steep terrain.

trainwreck

it was a tunnel fire. the old tunnels had both wood and concrete in them. befor they had spray on concrete they would use a post and beam kind of thing then put wood behind it to keep the rock from falling and breaking it. some kids got in the tunnel and lit the wood on fire so we went in while it was burning and broke the walls and roof down to put the fire out. it was a bit scary at first, driving into a pitch black tunnel with nothing but you head lights on and then they tell you to tear the roof down. we worked 24 hours on and about 12-18 off for 3 weeks and only broke 1 hyd hose and 1 window.